6 month eval on mental conditions with VA

smacinnes40

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am almost done and just waiting to go on Transpoc. I spoke to my MSC to see if the ratings will change from when i signed my 199 to when PDA sends it back. I check ebennies and still shows gathering information. It was at one time set to pending decision approval.

1. I was diagnosed with VA as having adjustment disorder and anxiety. That was a pretty high rating so my question is i was told by my MSC that it has to be re-evaluated every 6 months. has anyone else experienced that and did the ratings remain the same or go down. I got 100% VA proposed.

Any information would be appreciated.

I am almost done and just waiting to go on Transpoc. I spoke to my MSC to see if the ratings will change from when i signed my 199 to when PDA sends it back. I check ebennies and still shows gathering information. It was at one time set to pending decision approval.

1. I was diagnosed with VA as having adjustment disorder and anxiety. That was a pretty high rating so my question is i was told by my MSC that it has to be re-evaluated every 6 months. has anyone else experienced that and did the ratings remain the same or go down. I got 100% VA proposed.

Any information would be appreciated.

I don't know all the in's and out of TDRL as I was PDRL'ed.

BUT, I do know that one of your best bets is to get to the VA ASAP and get enrolled in their health care & mental health care treatment systems.

WHY???? Because you are on TDRL & will be up for a re-eval on all your TDRL conditions - both stable and "unstable" from the DoD (TDRL rated issues).

Since the VA does all the ratings now, it is in your best interest to seek/schedule/maintain med/psych treatments and have medical/psych records from the VA during the time you are on TDRL. Of course, if you have civilian med/psych treatment during your TDRL, so much the better for your ability to continue to substantiate the severity of your conditions/treatments while on TDRL.

It is easy to get copies of your VA med/psych records - you will need them later when you have your TDRL re-exams. The VA will already have your treatment issues in their database, you will have current treatment records while on TDRL, and have copies of them from the VA, so this can work to your evidenciary advantage if your conditions have not changed for the better - or have gotten worse - or have stayed the same.

Although I am on PDRL, I will be seeing the VA again shortly on a condition that was "deferred" for a rating during my IDES process. I am already in the VA health care system, have sought treatment for conditions, and am just starting to get all my medicines (& pharmacy records) from the VA, too. Since the VA does all the ratings, it makes sense to me to use them as I am establishing an "in-house" evidenciary data base should my VA IDES ratings ever come under a VA "review".

V/r,
nwlivewire

How hard is it to get enrolled/seen at the VA? I'm being put on TDRL, and will be in limbo while I wait for my acceptance letters to come in for law school... In the meantime, I will be living at my home of record for about two months. Is it worth registering at the VA there and trying to get an appointment or will I be wasting my time?

How hard is it to get enrolled/seen at the VA? I'm being put on TDRL, and will be in limbo while I wait for my acceptance letters to come in for law school... In the meantime, I will be living at my home of record for about two months. Is it worth registering at the VA there and trying to get an appointment or will I be wasting my time?

I don't think you would be wasting your time initiating treatment at your nearest VA hospital or clinic. NWlivewire gave excellent advice regarding TDRL, subsequent evals and evidence needed for those evals in order to maintain rating. That being said, you won't be reevaluated every six months...not even for TDRL. Your first TDRL evaluation will probably be more like 12-18 months after separation. And about same timeline for new VA C&P. If your conditions are about the same or worse at TDRL evaluation after separation, you will most likely be placed on PDRL...then no more evaluations by the military/TDRL. But if you are going to law school, it may be hard to maintain treatment. Just keep things into perspective and be sure to do what you need to.

I am not going on TDRL. I am getting PDRL. So my question is on the mental conditions have others been told they have to an eval every 6 months and if so did there rating go down.

I am not going on TDRL. I am getting PDRL. So my question is on the mental conditions have others been told they have to an eval every 6 months and if so did there rating go down.

Sorry about not reading your thread correctly. I assumed your DoD IDES rating included your psych issue. I now understand only the VA rated you for this.

It is still to your advantage to get into the VA and get into their system - even if PDRL - just like I'm doing.

As a 100% P&T'er - (like me) - according to what I have read off the va.gov website - you are not "scheduled" for further appointments. However, that does NOT mean your ratings are "fixed in stone" forever and ever.

There are certain limited restrictions on what the VA can do to lower your ratings in the immediate future as you are 100% P&T. But as I understand the VA rules, you have to hold a rating for an issue for 20 years in order to be immune from re-examinations for that issue (unless they can prove you frauded them to get that rating), and hold that rating for 20 years in order to that % to be "fixed in stone".

It is still a good idea to establish care/treatment and establish an evidenciary data base over time with the VA as they still have the right to schedule you for a re-exam, even though none are regularly scheduled for you at this time.

There is a thread somewhere about this issue of 100%, time held, exams, etc., on this website. Use the search box as many of these questions have been answered.

Or, go to va.gov.

Bascally, my VA award letter stated that no future exams have/will be scheduled. Doesn't mean my name won't ever come up - so I'm laying your groundwork down now with the VA so this doesn't bite me later.

Because Federal budgets are so tight these days, I'm not taking any chances as I do not know how and where and when the axe will swing. And from what I've seen these past decades, it always seem to swing on reducing benefits - so I'm laying my groundwork now in order to avoid any possible cuts from the Federal budget "axe".

V/r,
nwlivewire

thanks ceilingfan, how did you know this or are you in the same boat as me

I don't think you would be wasting your time initiating treatment at your nearest VA hospital or clinic. NWlivewire gave excellent advice regarding TDRL, subsequent evals and evidence needed for those evals in order to maintain rating. That being said, you won't be reevaluated every six months...not even for TDRL. Your first TDRL evaluation will probably be more like 12-18 months after separation. And about same timeline for new VA C&P. If your conditions are about the same or worse at TDRL evaluation after separation, you will most likely be placed on PDRL...then no more evaluations by the military/TDRL. But if you are going to law school, it may be hard to maintain treatment. Just keep things into perspective and be sure to do what you need to.

They're actually doing them 6 months out now. Mine is scheduled 6 months out due to PTDY but that will likely be the LAST time and I will be switched to PTDY. That's how it was explained to me.

They're actually doing them 6 months out now. Mine is scheduled 6 months out due to PTDY but that will likely be the LAST time and I will be switched to PTDY. That's how it was explained to me.

Scheduled--so do you mean like you already have the appointment scheduled? And I guess you don't mean PTDY (permissive temporary duty) like when you move, but PDRL? :) It's always been a directive of the IDES for TDRL SM's to get reeval 6 months after separation, but that rarely has happened due to heavy case load. Not that it really matters because it's gonna be when it's gonna be. LOL :p

No, it's not every 6 months.

I was in the same boat. :) I know because it is not a directive of the IDES to see TDRL SM's every six months. The first TDRL evaluation, after separation, is supposed to be 6 months after separation but rarely is 6 months...8-12 months is probably more accurate estimate due to heavy case load. If placed on PDRL after first evaluation, then you will not have to go back to be seen by military in regards to your medical conditions and subsequent retirement. If you are determined to remain on TDRL, after first evaluation after separation, then you will be seen again in "18 months". And the 18 month TDRL increments may not exceed 5 years. In other words, even if they keep you on TDRL, it can't exceed five years and after first evaluation you are to be seen every 18 months until 5 years (at which point you are automatically placed on PDRL) or determined PDRL or fit for duty.

One last thing, if your conditions remain the same or worsen after separation, you will most likely be placed on PDRL. The PEB has somewhat changed the definition of 'stable' to the concept of: will this condition improve, within the five year max allowed, to warrant a less than 30% rating--the requirement to be taken of retirement. So if condition stays same or worsens, prob looking at PDRL. Anyway. lol. Make sure to seek treatment as soon as you can at VA for your conditions, so that you will have ample evidence of your condition since separation when you go back for TDRL eval.

Clear as mud. Good. :)

Smaccins40

Ok, you are PDRL. So pretty much everything I stated above does not apply to you. LOL. So I guess your MSC was referring to being evaluated by the VA every six months. You will not have to do a C&P every 6 months with the VA. If you read all posts in this thread, I think, a few of us address the issue. :) Your VA ratings could theoretically decrease but if you are PDRL...that--your retirement--will never change.

Scheduled--so do you mean like you already have the appointment scheduled? And I guess you don't mean PTDY (permissive temporary duty) like when you move, but PDRL? :) It's always been a directive of the IDES for TDRL SM's to get reeval 6 months after separation, but that rarely has happened due to heavy case load. Not that it really matters because it's gonna be when it's gonna be. LOL :p

Yeah lol. I meant permanent retirement. And I do have an appt. in Oct.

Like I posted above.... I'm 100% P&T with the VA and PDRL'ed from military.

Your VA award letter - if you are 100% P&T like I am - it should say no appointments are further scheduled. See my above posting for exceptions.

If you are PDRL from the military - they are done with you. No more follow-ups from them!

nwlivewire

Wow. That's great that you already know when your TDRL appointment is! I had to sit around, wait and chomp at the bit for 10 months after separation before I was contacted about TDRL eval. :) But all is good bc I'm PDRL now.

I have not been contacted by the CBWTU-CA yet, so most likely next week they will require me to travel to JBLM to out-process. I have to do the retirement brief and VA exit interview. My MSC stated that is when i will get my VA appointment set up. She told me its mandatory every 6 months. I was reading in the VA regulations about how they determine when re-evals are needed.

hope this helps.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...de=38:1.0.1.1.5&idno=38#38:1.0.1.1.5.2.111.69

The PEB has somewhat changed the definition of 'stable' to the concept of: will this condition improve, within the five year max allowed, to warrant a less than 30% rating--the requirement to be taken of retirement. So if condition stays same or worsens, prob looking at PDRL. Anyway. lol. Make sure to seek treatment as soon as you can at VA for your conditions, so that you will have ample evidence of your condition since separation when you go back for TDRL eval.

The gist may be a fair enough comment. But, remember, it is the likelihood that your condition will improve or worsen over the remainder of the TDRL 5 yr period to make a difference for rating purposes. However, if the condition is found to have fallen under the 30% threshold, then you will be separated at that point.

Clear as mud. Good. :)

Pretty accurate comment- this stuff can be very confusing. A particular point that trips folks up is focusing on medical statements of "stable" vice the administrative/legal definition of "stable." Very different concepts.

I know there was a VA regulation that "required" same day appointments when you showed up, enrolled, and requested it. I don't remember it off the top of my head since I stay outside in the Tricare network. I believe you are eligible for concurrent registration with up to three VA regions at anytime.
*I have not revisited those regulations in about a year so take with "fair warning."

I have not been contacted by the CBWTU-CA yet, so most likely next week they will require me to travel to JBLM to out-process. I have to do the retirement brief and VA exit interview. My MSC stated that is when i will get my VA appointment set up. She told me its mandatory every 6 months. I was reading in the VA regulations about how they determine when re-evals are needed.

hope this helps.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...de=38:1.0.1.1.5&idno=38#38:1.0.1.1.5.2.111.69

Well, I guess my situation must be the "odd" one. I have been out of the military on PDRL for almost 10 months and I have never been scheduled for a VA MH re-evaluation. I am also 100% P&T, over the age of 55, and my MH issue was VA rated at 70%. My 100% P&T rating is really more than 100% when all my issues are combined ewith the "VA math", but 100% is the highest they go.

I didn't receive any rating from the DoD for any mental health issue - just from the VA.

But I am scheduled for a C&P exam from the VA in a couple of weeks for a physical issue that the VA "deferred" on my original IDES DoD/VA claim. At that time, the VA gave me a 0% service-connected rating on a broken ankle that occurred right in the the middle of the MEB/NARSUM stage, and I was not allowed surgery from the Army for the torn ligaments/tendons. So my busted ankle healed up on its own - however poorly it healed. The VA stated on my "final"award letter that that issue (broken ankle) was "deferred".

I am now scheduled to report to the C&P exam location for further exams on this issue - and this issue only.

Should I ask the C&P people about this re-eval on my MH issue as none have ever been scheduled?

V/r,
nwlivewire

I was wondering if anyone has experienced the following. I just got my retirement order in December (PDRL). Now, I have just received a notice from the VA, they are reevaluation almost all of my conditions. I am quite annoyed, some of my conditions have been rated for at least 8 year and the percentages have never changed. Does anything seem wrong with this. according to this tread it seems that they can do reevaluations every 6 months, it just seems unusual.

Thanks