6 yrs as officer, nervous, need answers ASAP

So I'm quickly approaching 20 yrs of active duty service in October. I'm pretty sure I've read this before and even tried to look through 10 USC for definite answers. But I'm nervous because a friend told me something very different.

Scenario: 6 yrs commissioned, but about to start a MEB soon. I'm pretty sure I'll make it to 20 yrs with the fact that I have 48 days of leave left and the process hasnt even started yet. I'm 40 days out from 20. With that being said, if I'm found unfit and they medically retire me, and I havent served the full 10 yrs as an officer, yet have served 20 yrs active duty, can they force me to take only 1 retirement? I know you need at least 50% VA to get concurrent and I'm sure I'll get that. But am I setting my self up for failure here? Should I just keep sucking it up for the next 4 yrs to get the total 10 yrs as an officer? I need some feedback on this because I had a friend tell me he has seen folks be denied at 20 yrs because they didnt do the 10 yrs as an officer. Is this true??

If you go through the MEB and get retirement, you will be retired at your current, officer rank.

If you go through regular retirement, then yes, you would need to stay in 4 more years.

You will be evaluated based on your medical condition, not your years of service.

If you go through the MEB and get retirement, you will be retired at your current, officer rank.

If you go through regular retirement, then yes, you would need to stay in 4 more years.

You will be evaluated based on your medical condition, not your years of service.
So basically you are saying the rules are different for a medical retirement and the 10 yr rule doesnt apply, correct? And if I'm medically retired at 20 yrs, that's as good as a regular in the fact that I dont owe them the 4 yrs.. I just want to be 100% sure on this. Thx

Yes. The rules are different for medical retirement. You will be "retired" at your current rank.

I am a mustang and medically retired at the 6 year mark as an officer and my retiree card shows my officer rank and I get the pay grade.

Don't forget to ask for the 20 days Permissive TDY in addition to your leave. If your Guard your HRO office is the one to request that through. If you are Regular Army not sure they offer that.

By the way. ChapsZ is spot on. medical retirement you keep your rank and in some situations you could be promoted to the next grade at medical retirement but you don't get that pay for that. And by reaching 20 AFS and medically retiring out if you are at least 50% diasabled you will get concurrent. In some cases some of us that get concurrent make more money if not the same as when we was working full time. lol

I havent served the full 10 yrs as an officer, yet have served 20 yrs active duty, can they force me to take only 1 retirement? I know you need at least 50% VA to get concurrent and I'm sure I'll get that.

Please define the thought process behind "to take only 1 retirement".

It is important to understand that the VA does not provide a "retirement", they only provide compensation and pension based upon the injuries that occurred and/or were aggravated while entitled to active duty pay.

On the other hand there are two potential retirement issues here at stake, with the first being your length of service retirement for reaching 20 years. If you have not dropped retirement papers and had them approved before a MEB is initiated, then you do not have to worry about the 10 year rule as a officer, you will continue through the MEB process and at the conclusion, you will have the opportunity to chose either your retirement based upon length of service (that you earned) or a medical retirement (which is a compensation for the loss of your career).

Your retirement pay will be based upon the average of your highest three years of pay and your rank will be the highest that you have successfully served at.

The decision will be yours to make at the conclusion of the MEB/PEB, although DFAS generally picks the route which is most advantageous to your financially.

Please define the thought process behind "to take only 1 retirement".

It is important to understand that the VA does not provide a "retirement", they only provide compensation and pension based upon the injuries that occurred and/or were aggravated while entitled to active duty pay.

On the other hand there are two potential retirement issues here at stake, with the first being your length of service retirement for reaching 20 years. If you have not dropped retirement papers and had them approved before a MEB is initiated, then you do not have to worry about the 10 year rule as a officer, you will continue through the MEB process and at the conclusion, you will have the opportunity to chose either your retirement based upon length of service (that you earned) or a medical retirement (which is a compensation for the loss of your career).

Your retirement pay will be based upon the average of your highest three years of pay and your rank will be the highest that you have successfully served at.

The decision will be yours to make at the conclusion of the MEB/PEB, although DFAS generally picks the route which is most advantageous to your financially.
Meant as in if you get MEBd before 20 you either can take your percentage from the military or the disability from VA, but not both. Versus retirement after 20 yrs where you get your military retirement and VA disability.

MEB will get you a Chapter 61 disability retirement. You can be rated anywhere from 30% to 75%. This medical retirement is given due to the potential loss of career. 75% is the max because that is what you would get at 30 years.

While undergoing the MEB, if you have greater than 20 years of service, then you have the option to collect your fully earned length of service retirement which can be concurrently paid with VA compensation and pension benefits if you are rated greater than 50% from the VA.

There are some circumstances in which a medical retirement at greater than 50% with CRSC may be more advantageous than CRDP.

MEB will get you a Chapter 61 disability retirement. You can be rated anywhere from 30% to 75%. This medical retirement is given due to the potential loss of career. 75% is the max because that is what you would get at 30 years.

While undergoing the MEB, if you have greater than 20 years of service, then you have the option to collect your fully earned length of service retirement which can be concurrently paid with VA compensation and pension benefits if you are rated greater than 50% from the VA.

There are some circumstances in which a medical retirement at greater than 50% with CRSC may be more advantageous than CRDP.
Thx for the follow up response. Great info!