7,200 "AD" points, 7,200 total "retirement points" & "TAFMS"

Hi,
I received my ratings and am within 7 months of getting my 20 AGR TAFMS date. I've been all over the place trying to confirm/validate/find in writing whether or not 7,200 AD points will be equated to 20 active years (and draw immediately versus waiting 15 years to hit 60) or if I must hit my 20 TAFMS date, and points don't really matter. Concurrent receipt now vs 15 years down the road is a huge difference in finances. I have over 60 days leave and will get 20 permissive. So that's almost 3 months to help stretch it out. Doing a VARR should add about another month and half. It's pretty tight now.
I called about every agency I could think of and get conflicting info. VA ratings: 80%; VA 100%.
Thank you.

I seen this scenario on the forum several times. Try the search option and see what comes up.

I've been reading and it seems like there are a few different posts with different information:
http://pebforum.com/threads/100-rating-for-ptsd-and-places-on-pdrl.42443/#post-196234
http://pebforum.com/threads/retirement-pay-for-national-guard-reservist.41948/#post-195009
http://pebforum.com/threads/retirement-pay-for-national-guard-reservist.41948/#post-195009
Then I read a back and forth exchange from Jason Perry, where it's not just points, it is 20 actual years, or TAFMSD.
I also found this: http://www.arpc.afrc.af.mil/News/Ar...how-to-determine-your-active-duty-retirement/

I guess a this point, it my be in my best interest to file with SAFPC just long enough to buy me some time. I could always pull it back in a couple of months, file a VARR, then that should get me where I need to be to start using my leave and terminal. I hope if I hit my TAFMSD, I wouldn't lose my 80% DoD rating, because that's 75% of my base pay.
Obviously I want that vs 50% of my base pay.

My board is complete and I'm happy with my ratings. I just want to make sure I can stretch it out to get closer to my TAFMSD just to make sure there are no questions. I do not want to miss it by 90 days and have to wait close to 16 years to start drawing at 60.

I really wish we were more educated on this 7200 AD points and Ch 61 medical retirement stuff. I've called my MPF, DFAS, AFPC, ARPC, OAC, asked for St HQ advice, NGB/A1...nobody seems to know definitively or can point me in the right direction. I want it spelled out in writing, not going off what someone tells me.
A few who "thought they were pretty sure" gave me varying degrees of responses: you must reach 20 AD 'years' (TAFMSD); 15 years (?? First time I heard that!); 7200 "AD" points, and finally "7200 total retirement points". IF I ever get something in writing and this resolved, I will gladly pass on so that I could hopefully help others on here.
If it were to be only 7200 AD points, I could start packing my bags in a few weeks!

Can you stop the Med Board by dropping a retirement letter? Heck you are already rated by VA so that would be complete upon retirement. I was told when I was going through med board I could drop retirement letter if I wanted and it would stop the board. Of course I was already over 20 active so I guess it really didn't matter. I was also AGR.

Can you stop the Med Board by dropping a retirement letter? Heck you are already rated by VA so that would be complete upon retirement. I was told when I was going through med board I could drop retirement letter if I wanted and it would stop the board. Of course I was already over 20 active so I guess it really didn't matter. I was also AGR.
I believe the paperwork has to be dropped before you enter the MEB process. Once you're in the process, it's too late. If you already have over 20 active, that may be why they didn't push you towards it.

The answer/information provided by Jason Perry is excellent.

A simplified view would be that a reserve retirement requires "20 good years."

Years of Service for Retirement Entitlement. This category of years of service includes each one year period in which the person has been credited with at least 50 points, as follows:
  • 1 point for each day of active service
  • 1 point for each attendance at a drill period
  • 1 point for each day of performing funeral honors duty
  • 15 points for each year of membership in a reserve component
Generally, a member retiring with a Reserve (non-regular) retirement must have 20 years of service for entitlement and they will receive a letter from their Service advising when this criteria has been met.

http://militarypay.defense.gov/Pay/Retirement/Reserve.aspx

Reserve retired pay generally begins at age 60. Members of the National Guard and Reserves are able to reduce the age at which they are eligible to receive retirement pay by three months for each cumulative period of 90 days served on active duty in any fiscal year. Qualifying active-duty service performed after Jan. 28, 2008, the date on which the fiscal 2008 National Defense Authorization Act was enacted, is creditable. The law does not provide credit for time served on or before that date.

CRDP:

[selected text from DFAS regarding reservists and disability retirements]
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay. [end of excerpt]
  • Comment: A Chapter 61 retiree (and reservist) would not be eligible for CRDP until they met the age requirement mentioned above--normally age 60.
https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crdp.html

Last edited:
I've been reading and it seems like there are a few different posts with different information:
http://pebforum.com/threads/100-rating-for-ptsd-and-places-on-pdrl.42443/#post-196234
Then I read a back and forth exchange from Jason Perry, where it's not just points, it is 20 actual years, or TAFMSD.
I also found this: http://www.arpc.afrc.af.mil/News/Ar...how-to-determine-your-active-duty-retirement/

I guess a this point, it my be in my best interest to file with SAFPC just long enough to buy me some time. I could always pull it back in a couple of months, file a VARR, then that should get me where I need to be to start using my leave and terminal. I hope if I hit my TAFMSD, I wouldn't lose my 80% DoD rating, because that's 75% of my base pay.
Obviously I want that vs 50% of my base pay.

My board is complete and I'm happy with my ratings. I just want to make sure I can stretch it out to get closer to my TAFMSD just to make sure there are no questions. I do not want to miss it by 90 days and have to wait close to 16 years to start drawing at 60.

I really wish we were more educated on this 7200 AD points and Ch 61 medical retirement stuff. I've called my MPF, DFAS, AFPC, ARPC, OAC, asked for St HQ advice, NGB/A1...nobody seems to know definitively or can point me in the right direction. I want it spelled out in writing, not going off what someone tells me.
A few who "thought they were pretty sure" gave me varying degrees of responses: you must reach 20 AD 'years' (TAFMSD); 15 years (?? First time I heard that!); 7200 "AD" points, and finally "7200 total retirement points". IF I ever get something in writing and this resolved, I will gladly pass on so that I could hopefully help others on here.
If it were to be only 7200 AD points, I could start packing my bags in a few weeks![/QUOTE

I have been down the same exact road as you without receiving a clear answer. I'm AGR with 18.5 years toward 20 TAFMS, 20+ years of retirement points. I will be found unfit and just hoping to make it to 20 TAFMS so there is no question. I would be grateful if you share what you find.

General information regarding reserve retirements. Medical Disability Retirement is a separate issue.

1. 7200 points is not required for a reserve retirement; in fact, most reserve retirees attain much less than 7200 points when qualifying for retirement.
2. Basically, a reservist must have 20 good years. A good year is one where at least 50 points were attained.
"Years of Service for Retirement Entitlement. This category of years of service includes each one year period in which the person has been credited with at least 50 points, as follows:
  • 1 point for each day of active service
  • 1 point for each attendance at a drill period
  • 1 point for each day of performing funeral honors duty
  • 15 points for each year of membership in a reserve component
Generally, a member retiring with a Reserve (non-regular) retirement must have 20 years of service for entitlement and they will receive a letter from their Service advising when this criteria has been met."
3. The Years of Service for Retired Pay Percentage Multiple. YOS for retirement percentage multiple determines the years of service for computing the retired pay multiplier. This category of years of service includes all periods of active service (counted as one point for each day) plus all points earned through qualifying reserve duty, not exceeding annual limits, divided by 360. Basically, this converts points to years and months active duty equivalent.
4. Another factor is the Years of Service for Pay Base. When combined with pay grade, YOS for pay base, determines the active duty pay entitlement by defining the appropriate pay table cell, e.g. E-4 over 6 years of service. This category of years of service includes all periods of active service and all periods of Reserve or National Guard service counted day for day.
5. "A member is generally not eligible for Reserve (non-regular) retired pay until they reach age 60. However, any member of the Ready Reserve who is recalled to active duty or, in response to a national emergency, is called to certain active service after January 28, 2008, shall have the age 60 requirement reduced by 3 months for each cumulative period of 90 days so performed in any fiscal year after that date."

Comment: Approximately one year ago I assisted a NG retiree with his dispute with DFAS because they were collecting ~$50,000 from him as a supposed erroneous payment of CRDP.
The position of DFAS was that he would need 7200 points to be entitled to CRDP. That position was wrong. What he needed was 20 good years (plus a >=50% VA rating and meeting the age requirement--he had all). He won that case and DFAS refunded the amounts collected.

You can read more about reserve retirements, including the final pay plan versus the high three, at http://militarypay.defense.gov/Pay/Retirement/reserve/

My remarks pertain to reserve and NG retirements.

Ron

Thanks for your write up on this RonG. It is very confusing for some and there are some that do not understand it. I'm in the Guard, full time AGR. I already have a 20 year of service letter but I'm only at 17 years active federal service. My PEB lawyer was thinking that this is great. I'll get my retirement at 60 with CRDP since I'm at 80% now. However I had to explain to her that this is not what I'm going for at this point in time. In order, since I'm 43 with some medical conditions that will not allow me to get gainful employment upon medical retirement, I explained to her the specific's on the DoD % and the medical retirement for total YOS which would be calculated for only my active duty time and not the total 23 years of service.
thanks again for this article. it's spot on.

brianmatt31,

Thank you...
As I might have mentioned, I have a regular retirement (RA) of 20+ years of AD. I am involved with CRSC questions at another site and have been for six years or so. I had to educate myself on reserve retirement in order to compute the dollar amount of the length of service portion of DoD disability retirement (CH 61) to determine the ceiling for CRSC for retirees in that category who had service time.

Of course, there are other uses for the info as well.

Thank you,
Ron

Team, I am USAR with the 7200 points total and chaper 61. with his combination of points (7200) and DoD disability 20% enable my family Trycare for Life after retirement?

Team, I am USAR with the 7200 points total and chaper 61. with his combination of points (7200) and DoD disability 20% enable my family Trycare for Life after retirement?
I have answered this question already. The answer is no. You would have to wait to apply for your non regular retirement. 20% or less is severance which you will decline to instead be able to apply and get your Reserve/Guard retirement at eligible age.

Last edited:
Copy,

This leads me to the question: Why do they call it "put on the permanent disability retirement list and can drew all benefits as active duty"?

Copy,

This leads me to the question: Why do they call it "put on the permanent disability retirement list and can drew all benefits as active duty"?
20% or less isn't PDRL or TDRL. Its kicking you out with no benefits and severance check instead. In your case you wouldn't accept the severance check because you would have to forfeit your Reserve/Guard retirement. 30% DOD or higher = permanent disability retirement list or temporary disability retirement list if the unfitting condition isn't considered stable.

Thanks for putting the bottom line upfront. "It's kicking you out with no benefits" at less than 20%. (the severance pay will not last over two year) The truth hurts and hart braking....
The DoD will keep your butt moving.

Thank you,