A Few Things

p1kles

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
So, here we go.

My package was sent up with Bi-Lateral Shoulder, Bi-Lateral Hip, Severe Left Lateral Knee, Subjective Left Lateral Ankle Instability. I have had Corrective surgery on both my shoulders for severe Labral tears. I have a Labral tear in my left hip, and require surgery on my Left Knee.

Now, to top all of this off I was also diagnosed with Benign Join Hypermobility Syndrome. It's a genetic disorder that wasn't discovered until after my 2nd surgery. It, along with the physical stress of military life has caused my conditions.

My question is. How does this look for me? I'm worried about the genetic disorder stopping me from getting anything for my injuries.

So, here we go.

My package was sent up with Bi-Lateral Shoulder, Bi-Lateral Hip, Severe Left Lateral Knee, Subjective Left Lateral Ankle Instability. I have had Corrective surgery on both my shoulders for severe Labral tears. I have a Labral tear in my left hip, and require surgery on my Left Knee.

Now, to top all of this off I was also diagnosed with Benign Join Hypermobility Syndrome. It's a genetic disorder that wasn't discovered until after my 2nd surgery. It, along with the physical stress of military life has caused my conditions.

My question is. How does this look for me? I'm worried about the genetic disorder stopping me from getting anything for my injuries.
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Hmm, how many years of active Federal military service do you have at this point in time? :confused:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Hmm, how many years of active Federal military service do you have at this point in time? :confused:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

I'm only on my first enlistment, 4yrs Active Duty USMC

I'm only on my first enlistment, 4yrs Active Duty USMC
Indeed, appreciate the feedback. :)

Unfortunately, at this particular point in time, the "Eight-Year Rule" wouldn't be applicable in order to ensure an eligibility opportunity for military disability compensation even if the condition existed prior to service (EPTS).

Secondly, do you know if the Benign Join Hypermobility Syndrome medical condition was officially annotated on your military entrance examination for the first enlistment? :confused:

Best Wishes!

It wasn't on my initial exam. It wasn't even considered until my after my second surgery. My surgeon decided to give me a test, then send me to a Rheumatologist.

What is the Eight Year Rule??

It wasn't on my initial exam. It wasn't even considered until my after my second surgery. My surgeon decided to give me a test, then send me to a Rheumatologist.

What is the Eight Year Rule??

By law, a military service member with over eight years of active Federal military service is eligible for disability compensation even if the condition existed prior to service (EPTS). This is formally called the Eight-Year Rule.

As such, the eight years of active military service do not have to be continuous; however, a military service member must be on active-duty orders of more than 30 days for the aforementioned rule to be applicable.

Okay, good deal. Upon any potential referral with acceptance into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process and if the Benign Join Hypermobility Syndrome medical condition is stated to be EPTS on the MEB NARSUM documentation then you should appeal the findings.

Moreover, for historical archiving at this point, please reference my below URL for a detailed explanation about the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process:
With that all said, please take care and I hope for a favorable outcome to your current medical situation.

Best Wishes!

Last edited: