A great deal of questions, with very few answers...

socmedic

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello all-

My name is Chris, I am a 11 year active duty E7, who just found out I am being MEB'd. Went into my PCM for head/neck aches and after a few trips to the radiography department, they have realized I need 5 different surgeries....albeit after 6 deployments, 10 years on jump status and 88 jumps, they make sense but it all just caught me off guard.

My questions are as follows, and if anyone can help that would be amazing.

1. I've been recommended by my PCM to be transitioned to a WTU, how long does that take and do I have to do anything during this process?

2. My spouse lives and works(active duty navy) in Pensacola FL at the naval hospital there, the spine and head surgeries I have to have are going to yield me unable to walk for a while, so is there a way for me to get seen/treated there so she can take care of me?

3. Since my med board has JUST been started, should I talk to them about the fact that I am being recommended for a WTU?

4. If they won't move me to the naval hospital is there a way to get to benning (I am at fort Sam) because it's only 4 hours away from her?

5. How does con leave work at the WTU, most of my surgeries will have 60 days of con leave each.

That's all I have for now, that's for the help, my leadership is totally lost right now and so am I...

I thought I'd do 20+ until last Monday, now my PCM and the med board Doc has said there is NO WAY ill ever be found fit for duty.. I am just trying to wrap my head around all this...

Chris

Thanks for your service Chris and welcome to the board. First and foremost, I would take things one step at a time. I think in your case, step one is getting into WTU. That process starts with your command submitting a WTU packet to the nearest WTU. In your case that's going to be Fort Sam. Once you get in, then you can push for a WTU to WTU transfer. This is going to be a lot easier to do because they know how it all works and can make this transfer happen. Your unit does not, and they will mess things up.

The WTU can transfer you to Benning, or they may even be able to get you into Community Based Warrior Transition Unit (CBWTU). This is where once you have stabilized and shown you can be trusted, they can place you in your home community as long as the care you need is there. By no means is this a for sure, as the CBWTU program is for Reserve and Guard, but active duty can apply in situations where an exception is warranted. Again, getting into a WTU should be your first step. They are going to know how to get all of this done.

Once in the WTU, leave your rank at home if you want to get the max you need out of the unit. I was a warrant officer and I was in a platoon full of E-7 through O-6. My squad leader was an E-6, but I gave her all my attention and support when it came to accountability and supporting her goals. This in turn lead to her supporting mine. After a month, I did not have to show up to formation and just had to give her a call. On the other hand, most of the Captains and Majors had to show for formation eery morning. Why? Because they had the "i'm a captain and you are a staff sergeant attitude" and that just does not work there. Rank is not a factor in the WTU and if you try and throw it down, you are killing yourself one step at a time.

Anyway, good luck and ask any questions you may have. We will help the best we can.

http://www.wtc.army.mil/soldier/soldiers.html

Joe

also not sure if the Navy does it, but there is a provision in the leave policy that allows permissive tdy for spouses requiring aid and attendance due to surgical/medical convalescence up to 30 days with CC approval.

also not sure if the Navy does it, but there is a provision in the leave policy that allows permissive tdy for spouses requiring aid and attendance due to surgical/medical convalescence up to 30 days with CC approval.

REALLY! That's great information...thank you so much for that...I honestly never thought of bringing it up to her CoC...we are kinda taboo...we had a prior relationship, but she is an officer and I am enlisted and her CoC HATES that she is married to me....navy officers think enlisted are the lowest of the low....

Thanks for your service Chris and welcome to the board. First and foremost, I would take things one step at a time. I think in your case, step one is getting into WTU. That process starts with your command submitting a WTU packet to the nearest WTU. In your case that's going to be Fort Sam. Once you get in, then you can push for a WTU to WTU transfer. This is going to be a lot easier to do because they know how it all works and can make this transfer happen. Your unit does not, and they will mess things up.

The WTU can transfer you to Benning, or they may even be able to get you into Community Based Warrior Transition Unit (CBWTU). This is where once you have stabilized and shown you can be trusted, they can place you in your home community as long as the care you need is there. By no means is this a for sure, as the CBWTU program is for Reserve and Guard, but active duty can apply in situations where an exception is warranted. Again, getting into a WTU should be your first step. They are going to know how to get all of this done.

Once in the WTU, leave your rank at home if you want to get the max you need out of the unit. I was a warrant officer and I was in a platoon full of E-7 through O-6. My squad leader was an E-6, but I gave her all my attention and support when it came to accountability and supporting her goals. This in turn lead to her supporting mine. After a month, I did not have to show up to formation and just had to give her a call. On the other hand, most of the Captains and Majors had to show for formation eery morning. Why? Because they had the "i'm a captain and you are a staff sergeant attitude" and that just does not work there. Rank is not a factor in the WTU and if you try and throw it down, you are killing yourself one step at a time.

Anyway, good luck and ask any questions you may have. We will help the best we can.

http://www.wtc.army.mil/soldier/soldiers.html

Joe

Joe-

I can't thank you enough and I will make sure to be a PV-7 when I am there and to just do what I am told...thankfully I have spent the last 10 years as a long haired special operations hippy so ignoring rank won't be an issue for me hahaha!

Joe-

I can't thank you enough and I will make sure to be a PV-7 when I am there and to just do what I am told...thankfully I have spent the last 10 years as a long haired special operations hippy so ignoring rank won't be an issue for me hahaha!

lol That's the way to look at it. Allowing people to make themselves important in their own mind is far more powerful than a rocker or a bar. Please let me know if there is anything else you can use a hand with. I have a few friends at Fort Sam, but I am guessing you are pretty good at finding ways to get it done on your own.

lol That's the way to look at it. Allowing people to make themselves important in their own mind is far more powerful than a rocker or a bar. Please let me know if there is anything else you can use a hand with. I have a few friends at Fort Sam, but I am guessing you are pretty good at finding ways to get it done on your own.

Joe-

Ill tell you what, I truly appreciate the offer and ill never look a gift horse in the mouth! I will keep you guys in the loop as to my progress, and I will keep you in mind if I have any issues that I can't seem to find an answer to. I am the first to ask questions and they will be loud and often if I don't understand, so I really appreciate the offer of guidance, I truly believe knowledge is power and you are the much more knowledgable one in this situation. Thanks again joe.

Chris