About to begin a PEB in April

Hello:

I am currently on AD (USN). I am working with my behavioral health provider, who is also a convening authority (CA). My PEB will address my ankle, back, and mental health issues. Right now I only have two questions, although more questions will come as I get deeper into this process. I'm an officer who works in medical plans; question 2, below, relates to this comment.

1) Question 1: My provider wants me to find an advocate from the VFW. Has anyone else been done this before or been asked to do the same?
NOTE: I emailed a VFW claims rep. and he responded with an ALL CAPS email telling me to: SUBMIT A VA CLAIM WITH VA FORM 21-526EZ WITH THE MEDICAL EVIDENCE AND LET THE VA REVIEW THE DOCTORS REPORTS. Is this the right time to do this, considering my doc hasn't even convened the PEB yet?

2) Question 2: can I be placed in a duty status where I focus on my recovery vs. having to continue to go to the office and execute my MOS related duties? I don't want to give my command a reason to target me for disciplinary action just because I'm not focused. As one of only a few medical planners I'm constantly tasked with one exercise planning task after another. I really just want to transition out of the military and stop exacerbating my conditions. What's the best way to be in good standing while also addressing my medical issues?

Makarov

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Don’t worry about VFW right now. You’re so early in the process right now that there’s no reason to worry about VA claims. LIMDU or “temporary limited duty status” is exactly what you want. It’s a status where your primary job is to go to appointments and get better. You will be pulled from any special duty (dive, demo, flight, instructor, etc) and you will be given a readiness code that makes you non-deplorable. If you are at a deplorable command or not located near an MTF, military treatment facility, then they will give you orders to one. Only the CA, usually your PCM or military mental health provider, can refer you to LIMDU. LIMDU is 6 months long. You cannot be on LIMDU for longer than 12 consecutive months unless the doc thinks you will be ready to return to duty soon. If after the 1st or 2nd LIMDU period, your issues are not resolved, your CA can refer you to MEB (medical evaluation board). At that point, you can consider contacting the VFW for assistance with your VA claim and exams.

USNMarv3lg3mh33l

Registered Member
Seriously, thank you for the response. The most difficult part (so far) is having a ton of question and only one or two people to answer them. I stumbled across this forum while doing research. Glad I did.

More questions to follow once the PEB begins.

Makarov

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Seriously, thank you for the response. The most difficult part (so far) is having a ton of question and only one or two people to answer them. I stumbled across this forum while doing research. Glad I did.

More questions to follow once the PEB begins.
We all do, sir. I just finished my VA exams. I’ve been LIMDU since March 2020 and have asked a ton of questions and done a lot of research in that time. Feel free to ask anything on the forum. Lots of knowledgeable people here.

USNMarv3lg3mh33l

Registered Member
I’ll add another comment. My attending provider and I had a discussion where I argued against a PEB because I was holding out hope for a promotion to O-4. There’s a long version to this story, but I’m going for brevity here.
He basically asked why I would turn down potential benefits resulting from a PEB.
I’m still shaky on this whole PEB business. What if I’m found ‘fit for duty,’ in the end.
Per Navy Personnel Command, and officer on a 2nd period of LIMDU for the same issue is barred from promotion—and I’ve already had 1 LIMDU period for this issue. Bottom line is if I go LIMDU I’m not getting promo’d. I feel like a chess piece pinned down on the chess board. It’s awful and already lost much sleep over this. I just want to get help and live a productive life in or out of the military. Just venting :)

Makarov

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
What they mean is that you cannot be promoted while in LIMDU status. This is because the selection requires physical standards, which can’t be met if you’re on LIMDU. You won’t be barred for selection of you are found fit and RTD. Your health is important so don’t blow it off but do what’s best for you. O4 and above is a battle. If you are competitive for selection then you may want to look at alternative ways to get treatment without being on LIMDU. Not sure you’re exact circumstances but maybe a fleet and family support counselor would suffice instead of navy behavioral health? Or perhaps a chaplain?

USNMarv3lg3mh33l

Registered Member
Thank you. Your response is something I can use as planning guidance. Even if I'm LIMDU, I still need to do whatever I can to be competitive for promotion (if/when eligible) -OR- pivot to a civilian career. Continuing education is always a must.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">