Adjustment Disorder and the consequences

absurdist

Registered Member
I received an ELS from USMC boot camp (MCRD San Diego) for adjustment disorder with depressed mood. RE-3P reentry code, JFV1 separation code. Medical/COG. Uncharacterized/General discharge.

The day that I left bootcamp, I was very briefly told that discharges with an ELS for an 'adjustment disorder' will be unable to purchase/be involved with firearms for a period of 6-8 years in California (and supposedly the time range may vary in other states? I'm in Texas.)

Is this true? What other 'penalties' does an ELS for an adjustment disorder hold? I've been unable to find a source that adequately explains my post-bootcamp situation. Any help/links/sources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

This is what the codes on your DD-214 mean:

RE-3P
- INELIGIBLE TO REENLIST WITHOUT A COMNAVCRUITCOM WAIVER

JFV1 separation code - Discharge because of a physical condition which is not disabling. involuntary, USMC

Here is the federal law:

Under 18 U.S.C. § 922(d), it is unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person “has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution.”

California:

A person is barred from possessing, purchasing, receiving, attempting to purchase or receive, or having control or custody of any firearms if the person:
  • Has been admitted to a facility and is receiving in-patient treatment for a mental illness and the attending mental health professional opines that the patient is a danger to self or others. This prohibition applies even if the person has consented to the treatment, although the prohibition ends as soon as the patient is discharged from the facility;
  • Has been adjudicated to be a danger to others as a result of a mental disorder or mental illness or has been adjudicated to be a mentally disordered sex offender. This prohibition does not apply, however, if the court of adjudication issues, upon the individual’s release from treatment or at a later date, a certificate stating that the person may possess a firearm without endangering others;
  • Has been found not guilty by reason of insanity of enumerated violent felonies. A person who is found not guilty by reason of insanity of other crimes is barred from possessing firearms unless a court finds that the person has recovered his or her sanity;
  • Has been found mentally incompetent to stand trial, unless there is a subsequent finding that the person has become competent;
  • Is currently under a court-ordered conservatorship because he or she is gravely disabled as a result of a mental disorder or impaired by chronic alcoholism

A person shall not have in his or her possession or under his or her custody or control, or purchase or receive, or attempt to purchase or receive, any firearms whatsoever or any other deadly weapon for a period of six months whenever he or she communicates to a licensed psychotherapist a serious threat of physical violence against a reasonably identifiable victim or victims. Licensed psychotherapists are required to immediately report to a local law enforcement agency the identity of a person who has communicated a serious threat of violence against a reasonably identifiable victim or victims (see § 8105(c)).

Texas:

A person is ineligible for a license to carry a concealed weapon if the person:
(1) has been diagnosed by a licensed physician as suffering from a psychiatric disorder or condition that causes or is likely to cause substantial impairment in judgment, mood, perception, impulse control, or intellectual ability;
(2) suffers from a psychiatric disorder or condition described by Subdivision (1) that: (A) is in remission but is reasonably likely to redevelop at a future time; or (B) requires continuous medical treatment to avoid redevelopment;
(3) has been diagnosed by a licensed physician, determined by a review board or similar authority, or declared by a court to be incompetent to manage the person's own affairs; or
(4) has entered in a criminal proceeding a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity.
The following constitutes evidence that a person has a psychiatric disorder or condition described by section (1), above:
(1) involuntary psychiatric hospitalization;
(2) psychiatric hospitalization;
(3) inpatient or residential substance abuse treatment in the preceding five-year period;
(4) diagnosis in the preceding five-year period by a licensed physician that the person is dependent on alcohol, a controlled substance, or a similar substance; or
(5) diagnosis at any time by a licensed physician that the person suffers or has suffered from a psychiatric disorder or condition consisting of or relating to:
(A) schizophrenia or delusional disorder;
(B) bipolar disorder;
(C) chronic dementia, whether caused by illness, brain defect, or brain injury;
(D) dissociative identity disorder;
(E) intermittent explosive disorder; or
(F) antisocial personality disorder.

Now, with all the legal mumbo-jumbo out of the way, Adjustment Disorder is simply that, its your inability to adjust to a new situation. This is fairly common with military applicants. A number of individuals get ELS (Entry Level Separated) out because they cannot adapt to being in the military.

The truth is, now that you are out of that situation you might not be suffering from an Adjustment Disorder at all. If you are not seeing a therapist on a regular basis, not taking mental health medications, have not made any specific threats against any individuals, you are good to go.

For Texas #5 spells out exactly what conditions are listed, and you do not have any of those.

Jahlon, thank you for the response.

I just don't want to attempt to purchase a firearm and a red flag goes off somewhere and I end up in cuffs or with police at my residence for some reason beyond my understanding. Really wish that my situation was made more clear; I'm perfectly mentally stable, coherent, etc. I've been handling firearms all my life. I guess I'll try and do some more research on it to try and clarify things.

Does Texas have background checks for firearms purchases?

Does Texas have background checks for firearms purchases?

Hmm. From what I've read, Texas has looser regulations than most states but generally requires gun dealers to run a background check-- one that usually takes just two or three minutes. Doesn't apply to private sellers or gun shows, etc. I'm just annoyed that I'm unsure whether I have any restrictions or any 'red flags' that would show up in a background check. According to the 'legal mumbo jumbo' that I've read, I should be fine, but that runs contrary to some of the rumors that I heard in bootcamp regarding "adjustment disorder" discharges. Maybe these restrictions only apply to California, given the much tighter firearm regulations. Unsure at this point.