ADSEP and severance pay

trickyrich

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I have just found out that they are for sure going to ADSEP me from the navy because of my back. The issue I have is three bulging doscs in my lower back that contact the nerves at the root outlet and spinal cord. I also have lumbar spondylosis. The instruction is written to essentialy recommend me for ADSEP. My question is that I have never had anything less than an EP eval and I am fully qualified, but I am in pain everyday and my record lists the PRT and my in rate job as limits for my pain. My question is am I going to recieve severance pay at the time of discharge? Also, will I still be able to apply for VA benefits such as GI Bill and disability.

As an update our next PRT is coming up in one month so should I just hang on until that and get a waiver so they have to send me to an MEB or should I take the ADSEP?

If you have a condition that interferes with duty you should be referred for IDES evaluation. Insist that they do. See Enclosure 4 of DoDI 1332.38.

Mike

I have just found out that they are for sure going to ADSEP me from the navy because of my back. The issue I have is three bulging doscs in my lower back that contact the nerves at the root outlet and spinal cord. I also have lumbar spondylosis. The instruction is written to essentialy recommend me for ADSEP. My question is that I have never had anything less than an EP eval and I am fully qualified, but I am in pain everyday and my record lists the PRT and my in rate job as limits for my pain. My question is am I going to recieve severance pay at the time of discharge? Also, will I still be able to apply for VA benefits such as GI Bill and disability.
As Mike pointed out, you should not be admin sep because of medical condition--it is illegal. If admin sep, you won't qualify for many benefits such as GI Bill.

If your medical condition warrants it, your physician should refer you into IDES. Questions or assistance, pls let me know. [email protected], YNC(SW/AW), PERS-82

As Mike pointed out, you should not be admin sep because of medical condition--it is illegal. If admin sep, you won't qualify for many benefits such as GI Bill.

This is not true. If he is ADMIN SEP in honorable conditions, he is still eligible for ALL VA benefits. The only reason he wouldn't be eligible is if he was separated for disciplinary reasons, OTH, or dishonorable.

If you have completed your first term of service and receive an honorable discharge, you get all VA benefits. If you have not completed your first full term of service, you will not. If you receive a general discharge and have completed your first full term of service, you will receive everything but education benefits.

What is their logic for processing you for admin separation rather than IDES? EPTS? Not unfitting?