AF AMTU

Faith19

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I am currently awaiting my C&P apts and just found out I am being reassigned to an AMTU. I am believing this is for the best as since returning from inpatient treatment I have been removed from my leadership position and placed over small section with in my flight I was over. While moving past this, I have accepted I need to focus on me and my next chapter. I have now been in over 19 yrs and didn’t foresee ending my AF time this way. Staying positive.

With all that any tips and/or advice on AMTU reassignment? When reassigned to AMTU does your DAFSC and/or CAFSC change and does that impact your promotion eligibility? These are just a few questions.

One thing I have learned in this process is many agencies on base do not talk to each other and thus the second and third order of affects on members is unclear. Many AFIs are written in a manner to leave a lot for interpretation.

Want to make it better for those to follow!

Guardguy11

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Faith,
Apologies for the delayed reply. When you are assigned to the AMTU, your DAFSC does not change are you are still eligible for promotion. The problem for promotion is that while hurt and recovering, you typically don't get the performance appraisal one would hope for to get a promotion. As you progress through the IDES process, definitely seek legal counsel. If you are eligible for promotion during the IDES, I know there are special circumstances that allow you to get promoted and then retired at your new rank. I searched through AFI 36-3212 and came across Table 4.2, disposition code Q - "when member has a projected promotion with an effective date after date OSAF approval cited in the disposition message, take action as follows: Enlisted - Update PES code L effective date of SAF decision according to AFI 36-2502"

I looked through AFI 36-2502 and didn't see anything specific to your case. I know when I spoke with Jason Perry he said there are special circumstances for each individual. Definitely ask someone sooner rather than later.

Godspeed! Keep us posted on the AMTU. I don't see very many posts about that one. Several on the WTU at Walter Reed.

RGZWS6

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
The attached User Guide should answer the few questions that you have. Hopefully, the Squadron Commander that is overseeing the AMTU will do you the service of a one-on-one meet and greet and explain all of this to you in a very caring way that will help you to understand. If not, reach out and request an appointment. The TOPA Flight may or may not have a good system in place to track/maintain AMTU assignments, so be prepared. As with anything, YOU are your best advocate. Meet the unit First Shirt, the Recovery Care Coordinator and your Nurse Case Manager in person. They will all be working in tanden to help you and facilitate your care.

Attachments

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Another option to the AMTU, is the patient squadron. Each MDG is authorized a patient squadron. Members of the patient squadron are farmed out to units to work, but appointments... come first.

RGZWS6

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Another option to the AMTU, is the patient squadron. Each MDG is authorized a patient squadron. Members of the patient squadron are farmed out to units to work, but appointments... come first.
The "Patient Squadron" term was replaced in 2015 with Airman Medical Transition Unit (AMTU). They are one in the same.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">