AF ReserveTechnician facing MEB awaiting P4 waiver

JCRu_82

Registered Member
I am an AF Reserve Technician with 11 years active duty and 2 years as an ART. I was diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea in 2015 and was granted a waiver that states I can deploy only to bases with electricity to use my CPAP. Waiver was only for one year and I had to reapply every year for a new one. I applied again in 2016 and provided information a little late, but still provided. I was put on P4 no points no pay due to filing late. I have been on P4 status ever since. I check with my clinic monthly, weekly, daily; and get the same answer every time: Your package has been submitted and is awaiting approval from AFRC. I went through another physical with the Active Duty Military Doctors and was told there is no reason for me to be denied a RTD. I have had to extend my enlistment and my extension expires in May. I have been told that I can extend again while waiting. I have no other issues, go to work every day with no physical issues; have not fallen asleep on the job or have poor performance due to lack of sleep. I passed my PT exams every year, I m even a freakin PTL, no conduct issues either, AD always got firewall 5's, Reserves always got the same ratings. I use the VA as my civilian doctor because its free based on my VA rating of 40%. They are actually the ones who diagnosed me with sleep apnea and provided me the CPAP.

My goal is to finish my time out with the Reserves. I honestly dont think I have sleep apnea. I think I just have allergies, or GERD; which both have been proven to provide sleep apnea type symptoms. I have been trying to get a second opinion, but it would involve another sleep study. I dont want to do that. My wife is a Dental assistant and she thinks it might be my tonsils. Her boss is my dentist and recommended I try getting that oral device for sleep apnea. I relayed this to the Reserve clinic and was told that even if the oral device "cures" my sleep apnea, there is nothing they can do because my package is still pending AFRC approval/denial.

This waiting game has cost me two job opportunities and a promotion. Not to mention the anxiety and depression I have developed due to not knowing if I will have a job tomorrow. In the mean time I have been applying for jobs on the outside just in case. I have a friend that is our union representative and he says that if the Reserves does not give me a RTD, that I could become priority placement on the federal side. I am in dire need of answers and advice:

Should I engage my chain of command further? They know of my issues and have spoken on my behalf, but have been told the same thing I have about waiting for AFRC approval/denial

What are some things I can be doing in the meantime while waiting for AFRC decision?

Are there things I can do to follow my status or find out more about my package?

Can I get a lawyer or ADC, and if so what could they do for me?

Is my friend from the union correct about priority placement?

Again, any advice is very appreciated. I have just been trying to be patient with the process because all I can do is pester the Reserves clinic. Thanks.

Deno

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
When you say chain of command just how far have you gone in the chain of command.

Deno

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
If you only spoken to your chain. Then we’ll , that does nothing. If you send a email stating your concerns and on that email you cc all of the chain of command that should get someone’s attention. You are creating a professional conversation that is recorded on email. I do it all the time. I get fast results also. I also save those emails.

dchiz43

Registered Member
I was a ART undergoing MEB. I was removed from my civilian side of the job for not meeting the requirements of a WL-10 Work leader. I find this unfair and have done everything I could to try and fight this but have run out of options or people that will listen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. JCRu-82 I feel your pain ! Let's fight and get what is coming to us.

Deno

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I was a ART undergoing MEB. I was removed from my civilian side of the job for not meeting the requirements of a WL-10 Work leader. I find this unfair and have done everything I could to try and fight this but have run out of options or people that will listen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. JCRu-82 I feel your pain ! Let's fight and get what is coming to us.
What options have you tried.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">