AGR entry into MEB being blocked by Supervisor.

AGR Kopasus 18

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Thanks for the resource. I will do my very best to pay it forward when I am in a better place. This is my first post and sincerely need some help. I am an AGR whom is trying to enter the MEB process. I had dropped my retirement letter; then as I rolled into sanctuary I went through huge medical challenges due to being rear ended by a kid on a cell phone breaking 2 titanium screws already in my neck. Within a 12 month period I had to have significant shoulder surgery due to wreck as well as 5 neck surgeries. I was in a medically induced coma after developing hematoma that nearly caused loss of life six days after ACDF / 10 screws and a bracket C-3 thru C-7. I also had another temporary paralyzation event on 4th neck job followed by another life saving surgery. There is much more to this. Recent surgery on knee removed 60% of cartilage. This 20 year old knee injury from Robyn Sage that finally blew up this year; I bled out for 5 days internally and externally. Vonwillibrans genetic bleeding disorder then diagnosed. Much more to mention but also diagnosed bilateral lower extremities vascular insufficiency narrowing of Veins, whole leg swelling. There is much more. I am trying to get MEB process going and wish to medically retire with over 20 AFS. As the benefit difference. April 2020 is my 20 AFS Mark. It has become a severe challenge. There is much more I am not bringing up medically. NGR Regulation states AGR can only enter MEB if there is an acute or grave medical condition or change. My employability and insurability is shot as well as reduced effectiveness. My current permanent profile is 333113 and states that Soldier is currently in the MEB process. Getting Jammed up .. Control grade. My retirement date is 31 MAY now. This is crushing me/family. Thanks in advance for any feedback. I have to build a brief for VERY senior leaders ASAP on MEB vs. regular retirement.
Aside from brief, as I have been called a $:;? House lawyer yesterday. My “opinion is that near death and paralysis events meet the ACUTE mark. The CIB and BSM are not going to pay the bills If I pass in 2 years I am simply Trying to do the right thing for wife and girls. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Very Respectfully,

AGR Kopasus 18 ...CMF

There is a lot to think over in this situation. You have two options to fight the command and proceed with the MEB, or Wait till your retirement and walk away after 20 years and just say fuck the games and the noise. The bottom line is either way there will be very little difference in pay and benefits to you. If you go the MEB Route on AGR you may not make it till your retirement date or get pushed beyond it. You still have the options if you wait till retirement, you have the VA Benefits upon discharge you can work on now; and CRDP or CSRC from DOD.

The Choice is yours at this point.

Good info provided by RaiderX.

When you speak of 20 years service, is that 20 good years for reserve retirement or 20 years active duty or active duty equivalent? Points/360 =Active duty equivalent.

As you likely know, you would not be eligible for a reserve retirement until you meet the age requirement, normally age 60. If you have 20 years of AD or ADE, you could receive your retirement upon your discharge and CRDP entitlement would be a consideration.

A disability retirement can occur at any age.

If you receive a disability retirement now, your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation received.

I did not address all the possible scenarios here.

Ron

There is a lot to think over in this situation. You have two options to fight the command and proceed with the MEB, or Wait till your retirement and walk away after 20 years and just say fuck the games and the noise. The bottom line is either way there will be very little difference in pay and benefits to you. If you go the MEB Route on AGR you may not make it till your retirement date or get pushed beyond it. You still have the options if you wait till retirement, you have the VA Benefits upon discharge you can work on now; and CRDP or CSRC from DOD.

The Choice is yours at this point.
Tha
Thanks for the resource. I will do my very best to pay it forward when I am in a better place. This is my first post and sincerely need some help. I am an AGR whom is trying to enter the MEB process. I had dropped my retirement letter; then as I rolled into sanctuary I went through huge medical challenges due to being rear ended by a kid on a cell phone breaking 2 titanium screws already in my neck. Within a 12 month period I had to have significant shoulder surgery due to wreck as well as 5 neck surgeries. I was in a medically induced coma after developing hematoma that nearly caused loss of life six days after ACDF / 10 screws and a bracket C-3 thru C-7. I also had another temporary paralyzation event on 4th neck job followed by another life saving surgery. There is much more to this. Recent surgery on knee removed 60% of cartilage. This 20 year old knee injury from Robyn Sage that finally blew up this year; I bled out for 5 days internally and externally. Vonwillibrans genetic bleeding disorder then diagnosed. Much more to mention but also diagnosed bilateral lower extremities vascular insufficiency narrowing of Veins, whole leg swelling. There is much more. I am trying to get MEB process going and wish to medically retire with over 20 AFS. As the benefit difference. April 2020 is my 20 AFS Mark. It has become a severe challenge. There is much more I am not bringing up medically. NGR Regulation states AGR can only enter MEB if there is an acute or grave medical condition or change. My employability and insurability is shot as well as reduced effectiveness. My current permanent profile is 333113 and states that Soldier is currently in the MEB process. Getting Jammed up .. Control grade. My retirement date is 31 MAY now. This is crushing me/family. Thanks in advance for any feedback. I have to build a brief for VERY senior leaders ASAP on MEB vs. regular retirement.
Aside from brief, as I have been called a $:;? House lawyer yesterday. My “opinion is that near death and paralysis events meet the ACUTE mark. The CIB and BSM are not going to pay the bills If I pass in 2 years I am simply Trying to do the right thing for wife and girls. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Very Respectfully,

AGR Kopasus 18 ...CMF
Thanks, it was my understanding that I would be in eligible for CDRP as a 20 year active federal service or active duty years without having gone through an MEB.???

Good info provided by RaiderX.

When you speak of 20 years service, is that 20 good years for reserve retirement or 20 years active duty or active duty equivalent? Points/360 =Active duty equivalent.

As you likely know, you would not be eligible for a reserve retirement until you meet the age requirement, normally age 60. If you have 20 years of AD or ADE, you could receive your retirement upon your discharge and CRDP entitlement would be a consideration.

A disability retirement can occur at any age.

If you receive a disability retirement now, your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation received.

I did not address all the possible scenarios here.

Ron
20 active, 28 total time in service. I am not receiving any disability at this time. It was my understanding that if you are rated over 50% disabled by DA you are eligible for a concurrent Payment from DOD and the VA??

I have a great deal of respect for my unit and senior leaders and I do not want to leave on bad terms from such a small community of men that I care more for than my own brothers

20 active, 28 total time in service. I am not receiving any disability at this time. It was my understanding that if you are rated over 50% disabled by VA you are eligible for a concurrent Payment from DOD and the VA??

I have a great deal of respect for my unit and senior leaders and I do not want to leave on bad terms from such a small community of men that I care more for than my own brothers

Hello,

With 20 years active duty or more, plus a VA rating of 50% or more, you are eligible for CRDP which results in concurrent receipt of VA compensation and retired pay.

If you received a Chapter 61 disability retirement, but also have 20 years active duty or more, plus a VA rating of 50% or more, you will receive your VA compensation plus the longevity portion of your retired pay (CRDP does not restore the disability portion of the retired pay, only the longevity portion)
Example with 2000 DoD disability retired pay and 3000 VA comp. The longevity portion in this example is 999
1. 2000 - 3000 = zero retired pay
2. 999 is restored via CRDP
3. Payments each month:
DFAS =999
VA= 3000

CRDP

You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP.

Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…

• you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. Regular retirement requires 20 years AD.
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • ----> you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.

Ron

Ron, Raider, thank you so much for your time. I am smoked from little sleep in 72 hrs so please excuse spelling/grammar.

I want to back brief you on my scenario after getting your input:

I roll over 20 years active duty April 2020 having served in AGR program. I have 28 years total time in service but started as a part timer until 9-11 it made more sense to stay on full time with Optempo/Economy. My retirement letter is approved and I will retire 31 MAY 2020. My VA rating will be 100% with no doubt. Several medical-issues are combat related. Is the following correct:

1. Retirement check will be 50% of E-8 with high 3, and would be taxable. For part time 8 good years in points just a bit more in the pocket.

2. 100% disabled VA is 3000 non taxable

3. Eligible for CRDP Amount of 999 as you advised. Is this automatic and right $ amount?

4. I sustained injuries combat related no Purple Heart. Briefed by va transition advisor I am eligible for some amount on top of VA 3000. CSRA??

5.No property tax.

6. VA rating should give me some educational
Voc rehab and possibly some benefit for wife and daughter.

7. SGLI will be more out of pocket but necessity for me.

I hope I am tracking now. What benefits would I miss out on by not medically retiring\full MEB.,,,,, less taxes on base retirement pay?? I assume TRICARE for life I will pay more for retired by way of cap per year out of pocket

I am READY to punch out, just making sure I am taking care of wife if I die young.

I do not want to leave on bad terms, or fight for-chump change. My Unit is too busy, and I am holding up an AGR E-8 control grade of which my unit only is allotted about 8EA E-8’s. My current O-6 is the best mentor in career. XO, and CSM good men ..... whom have been accommodating. Some head butting and frustration, but it is what it is. I had over 8 surgeries in total in 13 month period.

I am at decision point to fight what I know will be nasty to go thru MEB, or get busy submitting for VA rating and transition.

I do not want to go through holidays without deciding on best COA for my wife, and I.
Thanks so much. I am grateful for input.

Hello,

This was simply an example using figures pulled out of the air:

Example with 2000 DoD disability retired pay and 3000 VA comp. The longevity portion in this example is 999.
3. Payments each month:
DFAS =999
VA= 3000

CRDP is automatic for those eligible except in cases where an individual has to wait to attain the age requirement for reserve retirement. In those cases, an application for retirement is required as one nearly the age required (~60).

You said, "1. Retirement check will be 50% of E-8 with high 3, and would be taxable. For part time 8 good years in points just a bit more in the pocket." This is accurate for a regular retirement. If you have a CH 61 disability retirement (plus have 20 years for regular retirement), the computation is more complex.

You might be interested in CRSC. See this ---> collection of CRSC info LINK
CRDP and CRSC cannot be paid simultaneously.
With CRSC: Your retired pay is reduced by the amount of VA compensation and replaced by CRSC not to exceed the percentage approved by your service (using VA comp tables) or the longevity portion of retired pay...whichever is the lesser.

Your other questions would be better answered by others.

Ron

Hello,

This was simply an example using figures pulled out of the air:

Example with 2000 DoD disability retired pay and 3000 VA comp. The longevity portion in this example is 999.
3. Payments each month:
DFAS =999
VA= 3000

CRDP is automatic for those eligible except in cases where an individual has to wait to attain the age requirement for reserve retirement. In those cases, an application for retirement is required as one nearly the age required (~60).

You said, "1. Retirement check will be 50% of E-8 with high 3, and would be taxable. For part time 8 good years in points just a bit more in the pocket." This is accurate for a regular retirement. If you have a CH 61 disability retirement (plus have 20 years for regular retirement), the computation is more complex.

You might be interested in CRSC. See this ---> collection of CRSC info LINK
CRDP and CRSC cannot be paid simultaneously.
With CRSC: Your retired pay is reduced by the amount of VA compensation and replaced by CRSC not to exceed the percentage approved by your service (using VA comp tables) or the longevity portion of retired pay...whichever is the lesser.

Your other questions would be better answered by others.

Ron

Ron, Thanks for your time and have a great holiday. I thing I am going to pull the ripchord and move out smartly as Raider suggested. From all I have gathered not a huge difference for me at this point. I don’t want to walk away a Kaepernick from the Regiment. DOL

Feel free to PM me with any Questions. I was in a similar situation and I am now nearing the end of the MEB/PEB process.

Anouther avenue of approach for yourself is the SOCOM care coalition. Although you are AGR, your still SOF.

POC @ Fort Bragg:

Frank Gilliand
USSOCOM Care Coalition Recovery Care Coordinator
NIPR: [email protected]
SIPR: [email protected]
Office: 910-643-3793
BB: 813-310-9820

POC @ Fort Campbell:

Darin Wisniewski
Fort Campbell KY USSOCOM Care Coalition Recovery Care Coordinator
813-826-3100
[email protected]

Yj
ALCON, Thanks very much for the POCs. Raider X, I went to JSOFSEA resident Phase with the MARSOC Senior Enlisted Advisor MGySGt Guiso. I have been off the netI was down for the last 2 weeks with pneumonia but I have a bit more digging and ask 3 more questions after I’ve done a little bit more research. I do have one question that I believe I will need a lawyer to answer if anybody is willing to PM me and let me ask that one legal question that would be awesome. V,R, thanks for the service. I pitched in a bit tonight to support forum.

If you are approved for 20, I’d say go ahead and retire and do the VA filing through their BDD (benefits due at discharge) fast track program. Also file for SSDI ASAP.