AGR Retirement CWO Confused & Questions

NBSarmy1980

Registered Member
About me: I'm a current serving AGR CW4 with 16.5 Active Years (24.5 Total Guard) 5940 AD points, 6700 Total. I am and have been (2014) rated @ 80% VA but don't rec compensation due to being AGR. Even though I'm a few years out I would like some education as this stuff is overwhelming.

Knowing that I have some medical issues and that I'm already rated 80% w/ the VA should I go the Medical Retirement Route or just regular? Is there pitfalls with one or the other?

How do I know if I qualify for CRDP or is it automatic due to my VA rating? I don't know how to tell if my VA stuff is "Combat Related"?

What all is deducted from our pension? I know my State doesn't tax military retirement? But what about SBP, Tricare, Vision, VGLI?

Is my rough math for retirement pretty accurate or is it off? CW4 High 36 = $8475.00 x .555 (22.2 AD Year w/ 1405 Time) = $4,703.00 (Pre Tax) VA = $2,060.00 So total pre-tax $6,763.00 or am I not entitled to the VA and Army Retirement concurrent?

About me: I'm a current serving AGR CW4 with 16.5 Active Years (24.5 Total Guard) 5940 AD points, 6700 Total. I am and have been (2014) rated @ 80% VA but don't rec compensation due to being AGR. Even though I'm a few years out I would like some education as this stuff is overwhelming.

Knowing that I have some medical issues and that I'm already rated 80% w/ the VA should I go the Medical Retirement Route or just regular? Is there pitfalls with one or the other?

How do I know if I qualify for CRDP or is it automatic due to my VA rating? I don't know how to tell if my VA stuff is "Combat Related"?

What all is deducted from our pension? I know my State doesn't tax military retirement? But what about SBP, Tricare, Vision, VGLI?

Is my rough math for retirement pretty accurate or is it off? CW4 High 36 = $8475.00 x .555 (22.2 AD Year w/ 1405 Time) = $4,703.00 (Pre Tax) VA = $2,060.00 So total pre-tax $6,763.00 or am I not entitled to the VA and Army Retirement concurrent?
1. You can't medically retire unless you are put on a permanent profile and referred to IDES due to not being able to do your MOS. You don't have a lot of say in it.
2. Right now you only quality for CRDP at age 60 due to 20 year letter. You wouldn't get it for AD retirement unless you have 20 active duty years of service.
3. SBP is. I am not sure of the rest. Either way, it can be deducted whether its from your pay or from your checking account.
4. If you hit 20 year AD retirement that sounds about right. If you don't make it by retiring with a non regular retirement you would get full VA compensation and at age 60 you apply for your Non Regular Retirement and get VA too since at that time you would qualify for CRDP.

2. I plan on doing the next 3 years to get the 20 Active Duty years. So assuming I just retire @ 20 from AGR would I get my VA Disability or would it be offset? I'm talking non medical Regular Army Retirement.

Thanks for the clarification and prompt response.

2. I plan on doing the next 3 years to get the 20 Active Duty years. So assuming I just retire @ 20 from AGR would I get my VA Disability or would it be offset? I'm talking non medical Regular Army Retirement.

Thanks for the clarification and prompt response.
If you get your 20 year AD retirement you would get both. That's assuming your VA rating is 50% or higher.