Air Force Deployment Medical Requirements?

mxridr

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
My PCM told me that the only medical deployment requirements there are is that you must be able to run 100 yards, lift 40lbs and one other one I cant remember (might be wear body armor or something like that). So I did my own digging and found the deployment requirements listed in AFI 48-123 Ch. 11 and it refers you to the DoDI 6490.07. Below are some of the references I found and showed my PCM since I fall under the three conditions and he pretty much just told me that we don't deploy off those requirements and that we use CENTCOM requirements. Just wanted to see if anyone had any input since it doesn't seem right that they can skip over the the AFI's minimum standards.

AFI 48-123
11.1.2. The deployment standards in DoDI 6490.07 are the minimum necessary to maintain

mobility status
(see Kx for additional USAF Guidance). (T-1) Any individual who cannot
maintain mobility status for a chronic or recurrent medical condition must meet an initial
RILO or MEB evaluated IAW 41-210.

DoDI 6490.07
In general, individuals with the conditions in paragraphs a. through h. of this enclosure, based upon a
medical assessment as described in Enclosure 2 and Reference (l), shall not deploy unless a waiver is granted.

(1) Any chronic medical condition that requires frequent clinical visits, fails to respond to adequate conservative treatment, or necessitates significant limitation of physical activity.

5) Any unresolved acute or chronic illness or injury that would impair duty performance in a deployed
environment during the duration of the deployment.

(9) Any musculoskeletal condition that significantly impairs performance of duties in a deployed environment.

CENTCOM does set its own requirements. The Services exist to "organize, train and equip" in support of the Combat Commands (COCOMS). Ultimately the standards for deployment rest with the COCOMS. Like everything else in the military, standards are waiverable. As the forces have become less deployable the medical facilities in theater have been beefed up to support members who have chronic conditions. Bottom line: The COCOM sets the requirements not the services.