Air Force March IPEB Packages

OK, got a little tired of waiting so I called a number I found in a post where another member called IPEB office and got status. (Not recommended for all to do this as it makes them upset with hundreds of phone calls).
My package is almost complete and they are doing the acceptance letter. I never asked about findings, I just wanted to know where my package was at in the process.

The last thing she said was the I was going to be returned to duty, which I found incredulous but happily accepted it. I really thought I would be PDRL'd with this process and had set my mind to it, I thought I would have no chance of retention.

I can now plan my retirement and have benefits at discharge as I will have time to go though VA process. You never know until you know.... Best of luck to all, I'll stay on the board to help where I can and hopefully get my package wrapped up in July so I can retire in Feb 11.

Congratulations on your return to duty! Look forward to having your input for others going through the process.

Thanks Jason, great site! It has helped me with many DES demons in getting through the process. Returned to duty 28 JUN 2010. They only reviewed one of my two kidney surgeries (full nephricitomy) and my OSA. The verbiage for return was almost verbatim from the CC and NARSUM letters recommending retention. Apparently the IFEB leans heavily on these when making determinations. Codes were [FONT=&quot]7528 Malignant neoplasms of the genitourinary system [/FONT]and OSA w/machine. No code for loss of a kidney, not sure if they are doing it right or not but at least its done and I can move towards VA benefits process. PS. not sure if you know this but I can now access this site from my Gov desktop, perhaps it was allowed as part of the access changes lately to FB and other sites. Thanks Again! Chris

CLDunham

When did your PEB process start? I am tempted to call that number, but 'nervous' of my package being 'held up' for spite, or something stupid like that.

Mine started last Aug when I was MEB coded after they diagnosed me with possible cancer in both kidneys, NARSUM done in early March after both surgeries complete and submitted to IFEB 16 MAR. I was around 100 days. Please bear in mind I'm a SMSgt and over 24 yrs so my calling may not be as traumatic as a junior enlisted calling when the lambaste em over the phone. They told me the PEBLO can call on your behalf and that's the route I recommend for all at this point until they create some type of FOIA log showing status to PEBLOS who can show you your status only. Very frustrating experience the DES system but its Medical and they have very stringent rules about releasing data on members for our own good. When did yours get submitted and how detailed is your condition? Some will take longer then others especially if it requires outside experts to review.
Really looking forward to retirement, I'd like to get a VA rep or benefits position to help others in service. Good luck, be patient and best wishes.

I just read your date of 9 APR, you should be right around the corner. Hold on bro, it will get here quick and you'll be one step closer. They have more staff now and are charging through them but wounded warriors take priority, not sure if that's a seperate queue or not but they deserve right of way IMHO. Best of luck, keep us posted.

Cldunham, Thanks for the info! I hope that you are on the mend!! It's such a frustrating and lonely process. My future husband is stationed in Germany, and I was left 'behind' until this is done with. So frustration and lonlieness seem to be hand in hand, for the both of us. It's good to get a 'reality check' though. Thank you for your honesty! I love the support that I get here though. I'm 'hanging on'...and just truckin! I agree that the Wounded Warriors get priority, which is why i never 'complained' about having to wait. My stuff went to the PEB for a heart condition called Neurocardiogenic Syncope. (Basically I faint from different triggers like heat, exercise, and stress...all making me nondeployable). And even though I'm physically fit, I also have allergy enduced asthma. That said, my CC wrote a great letter as to why I shouldn't be in the AF anymore...and you know what, I concur! I'm ready to just get out and be with him again!

I got a note from my PEBLO today. I had been told that I would probably hear back about the formal within the first week of Jun, and it would probably be 2nd week in July for the hearing. Today, I'm being told that with the backlog of non-concur folks that we might not hear back for another month, and then it'll be another couple of months before the actual hearing. ARGH!! Now I'm seriously considering just accepting the 30% permanent and going for the rest from the VA. I had another ROM, and it clearly puts me in the 40% bracket, but I'm not sure it's worth the wait for just another 10%. What do you guys think?

You're holding out for 10% that is going to be taxable? In my opinion, it's not worth it...but I'm very biased b/c I just want to 'be set free'. Waiting 2 more months for a taxable 10% that is not a guarantee...hmm...

Here is my timeline:

January 2009 1st LIMDU
June 2009 2nd LIMDU
October 2009 MED BOARD- Dept of Cardiology refers case to PEB.
March 2010- PEB and all evidentiary materials forwarded to Washington PEB.
March 29, 2010- PEB received in Washington.
April 30, 2010- PEB was pending notification. I was told I should hear a response any day.
May 12, 2010- PEB reached rating officer at the VA. I was told I should hear by June 12.
June 23, 2010- VA makes preliminary rating, just needs to be finalized.

anyone know how long it should be from this point?

If you believe you are deserving 40%, I would not wait for the extra 10%. To me it woyuld not be worth the risk, stress, or time....IMHO. (Remember, the formal can do anything--including downgrade the prvious offer). I'd take the money and run. 30%=PDRL=TRICARE & $$ for life. Why risk that for a few extra dollars? (Esp. since you are probably going to end up better off with the VA compensation side anyways).

If it was like a 30-40% difference, it would be a different story...but for for 10%----I would see if you can get that deal. Just MHO.

Nate

Thanks guys, I'm leaning more that way too. We had a new guy inprocess today who just got finished with FPEB. It took him 5 months to go from nonconcur to the hearing. I'm dang sure not waiting around that long for 10%!

Me personally if you are pretty sure you can get the 10% why not just stay in alittle longer because the 5 months might seem long but when its all said and done it wont feel like it was that long... its tax free and 10% is a full paycheck tax free every 10 months... but if you are unsure if you will get it and already have something work or school wise set up why not jump ship... it would suck to wait and then not get it realizing you could have just got out and already be that far ahead school or job wise... my whole MEB is coming almost at a year and the PEBLO was saying I might not get an anwser back untill the end of the year... so I really want to just get my paperwork sign it and get out since its pretty much already known they are going to med retire me

Well, got official email today from Lackland, I'm schedule for the formal on the 19th of August. So that's not quite three months from IPEB results to FPEB hearing. I'll post anything significant when it comes up.

Good luck!

As for me, I got a form letter from the Baltimore VA a week ago saying they have all the information they need to decide my case and are in processing it now. Due to the large number of claims it may take some time, if I move let them know ASAP, if I have additional information for my claim, let them know....blah, blah, blah. So now it is back to wait mode. Again. Due to the complexity of my case(multiple conditions) and that it is a pilot program I figured this could take a while...

Nate

Got my results back. 19Jul10. DoD: 60%, VA: 80% TDRL

package sent to DC on 29March, recieved 19July.

UPDATE:

I call the VA every week for an update. I was assigned a rating on Jun 30 (they won't tell me what it is) and now the VA says it has gone to verification (or is it finalization?) where they do the final QA on it. I am hoping that now that it has been 3 weeks they are almost ready to send it back to AFPC. My case was sent 1 Mar so I am pushing 21 weeks!

Nate

Results are in--Meet@1400!!

Got a call from my PEBLO this morning.

Results are in...I meet with the PEBLO at 1400!! Wish me luck!! Just a little nervous....but I think Med retirement is pretty much a foregone conclusion, just whether I will have to appeal or not.(i.e. did the AF find my multiple conditions unfitting).

Nate

Just an update. In June the IPEB returned my package to the MEB for more information. A completely new NARSUM was drafted and returned to the IPEB today which included a new diagnosis to the mix--Meniere's disease (combination. The big question now is whether my package will go to the head of the line or back to the end again. I suspect I'll find out one way or another in 2-3 weeks. My major diagnoses are RSD with severe atrophy of the leg, nerve palsies in the leg, chronic pulmonary embolisms requiring anticoagulant therapy and oxygen, and Meniere's disease.