Air Force Terminal Leave Question

erock

PEB Forum Regular Member
Hello All,

I'm a bit confused on how some people from across different branches say they were able to utilize their remaining leave as terminal leave at the end of a PEB determination and how others were not so lucky and in fact had to sell all their leave.

I specifically found the following excerpt from AFI 36-3212 Regulation on Physical Evaluation and Retention branch specific, it states under,

5.19. Date of Disability Retirement or Discharge:

5.19.2. If members have not previously sold 60 days of accrued leave after 10 February 1976, they
must sell the leave at separation or retirement. Members retiring or separating for disability may use
accrued leave that they can not sell back. If they have sold the maximum leave permitted by law, HQ
AFPC/DPPD will add their accrued leave to the 20-day processing time (30 days if overseas) to arrive
at the final discharge or retirement date (see AFI 36-3003, paragraph 3.13.1).

Reading the above passage, it is giving no option to go on terminal leave except for people who have sold at least 60 days of leave in the past. My question is what is right and what is wrong? Can you do it or can you not? If I have to sell my leave so be it, but I would rather use it as terminal as it would be a better option. Thanks ahead of time guys.

Bottom line, it can happen that you can take terminal leave. My sense is that much depends on the command's approval of leave in the first place. Whether it is technically proper or not is another question and it is one that I think is hard to answer because I highly doubt that it would qualify as an "entitlement" so, if they deny it, I don't see recourse to challenge it. Therefore, near impossible to figure out what the answer is- this is a case that if they grant it, great; if not, you probably are stuck. (Caveat: This is just a shot from the hip- with a bunch of research, I could probably give a more nuanced answer...bottom line, I would try to get it if you want it...that's the only way to know in your own case how it will play out).

Thanks Jason.

I understand, there's just so many variables that can happen and with different people saying they were able to take terminal leave and some saying they couldn't made me wonder what's going on and if there was a DoDi governing these issues or does local policy over-ride that issue?

That being said, does anyone know where I can find a calculator to figure out what one will receive when they sell leave back to the military?

Thanks, all.