Air guard timeline?

Ullose272

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
i was informed recently that i will be getting an MEB for Shoulder injury, Asthma, Heart arrhythmia, and sleep apnea, shoulder being the only service connected part. i havent had a commander "interview" yet. What kind of time line are we looking at right now to getting an MEB done? i plan on basically telling my commander that i dont feel that i am able to continue in the ANG. I am a Full time technician working on the flightline, but have been at a desk for over a year now due to injury and been on a PT profile for almost 2 years. The process has been extremely slow so far, i was told back in Feb that i was pulled from a deployment and that the DAWG was going to look at my case, and a few weeks ago was told it would be going to MEB. Im ready to be done and move on with my life. So how long is it taking right now to get though and MEB? Being Guard ive already submitted my stuff for the VA and should be having C&P exams scheduled shortly.

Im a military Technician that just went through the MEB process. Mine was 4 years but it was really mishandled. The whole MEB process with the Military process should be less than a year. If your Paperwork isn't done correctly by your unit it can get stuck in a loop of them sending up paperwork and the send it back returned with out action (RWOA) and then your medical unit has to fix the errors and re submit. The OPM Federal side just changed in June and you have to be separated with in 30 days of losing your Military affiliation.

The whole process Military and Federal could be done in as little as a couple months as long as the paperwork is completed correctly.

The OPM Federal side just changed in June and you have to be separated with in 30 days of losing your Military affiliation.
The Federal side [OPM] hasn’t changed, it’s an NGB publication.

Attachments

• 7C60B0BA-78C1-4684-B969-A7074FB472B8.png
    7C60B0BA-78C1-4684-B969-A7074FB472B8.png
    304.3 KB · Views: 21
I am going though an MEB and I'm a technician also. My package with commander letter and all was sent to NGB last week but that's for the formal LOD after that it comes back to my base than goes to the state air surgeon and and back to NGB. That's what I was told anyway, but I have been given conflicting information from my medical group. my package started coming together back in the beginning of June. If you already have your injury documented in the line of duty guess you might leap frog me. My medical staff told me 2 months for the LOD and fit unfit determination after it's sent, most on here say no way not that fast. I also had a meeting today with my squadron commander and he told me don't hold your breath usually takes longer than that but he said the process has improved some. I also have claims with VA I've completed 2 exams so far. Good luck

I am going though an MEB and I'm a technician also. My package with commander letter and all was sent to NGB last week but that's for the formal LOD after that it comes back to my base than goes to the state air surgeon and and back to NGB. That's what I was told anyway, but I have been given conflicting information from my medical group. my package started coming together back in the beginning of June. If you already have your injury documented in the line of duty guess you might leap frog me. My medical staff told me 2 months for the LOD and fit unfit determination after it's sent, most on here say no way not that fast. I also had a meeting today with my squadron commander and he told me don't hold your breath usually takes longer than that but he said the process has improved some. I also have claims with VA I've completed 2 exams so far. Good luck
I have an LOD, but i dont know that it went to NGB? I was on MEDCON orders for about 7 months last year for it, so maybe it did. Only one of my four conditions is being sent up as service connected But i claimed them through the VA to get compensated, fingers crossed. Im really hoping its done by the end of the year. I know about the 30 days deal with the fed tech status. Kinda sucks but i get it.

I'm hoping to be out by the end of April. I know it could take longer, other than helping gather medical documents and meetings how quickly it moves is in someone else's hands. There is a technician in my shop that has been medically separated on the military side since April and he is still working out there. The OPM side had issues but that is way over 30 days it's 5 months. My supervisor talked with HRO and that office made it sound like they could keep us on longer then 30 but we must get them the information they request or they just drop us and we would have to deal with OPM medical out. I've always been national guard and had an incident in active status working as an SP. the injuries were never filled as in the line of duty I mostly mostly healed up but over years old injuries come back but the burden of proof is in me. Your injuries might have been LOD from the start, hell I don't know even know maybe they don't need to be LOD.

Last edited:
That one condition is probably be sent up to determine if its unfitting. I don't know how they would put you on medcon without a LOD.

I'm in Texas and they told me if you get separated from the military side before 1 October they are going under the previous rule that allowed you to stay on until your opm paperwork gets approved. The State HRO personally told me that could take months to a year.

ive already submitted 6 claims through the VA back in May, and i have a C&P exam on tuesday, if i get that done early would that speed up the process later?

Had my Commander Impact meeting with my commander, While reluctant to let me go, she is respected my wishes to be not retained.

i was informed recently that i will be getting an MEB for Shoulder injury, Asthma, Heart arrhythmia, and sleep apnea, shoulder being the only service connected part. i havent had a commander "interview" yet. What kind of time line are we looking at right now to getting an MEB done? i plan on basically telling my commander that i dont feel that i am able to continue in the ANG. I am a Full time technician working on the flightline, but have been at a desk for over a year now due to injury and been on a PT profile for almost 2 years. The process has been extremely slow so far, i was told back in Feb that i was pulled from a deployment and that the DAWG was going to look at my case, and a few weeks ago was told it would be going to MEB. Im ready to be done and move on with my life. So how long is it taking right now to get though and MEB? Being Guard ive already submitted my stuff for the VA and should be having C&P exams scheduled shortly.
Hi, my husband is a technician as well! He got home from Afghanistan in 2018, then got the flu shot on the base, and went paralyzed in 14 days. Was in the hospital for 3 months. Finally, today we found out the LOD was denied and is found unfit for duty. It took them 10 months to come back with a decision. He doesn’t haven enough time to retire since he is hitting a 11 years.
How many years do you have in the guard! And as a technician?

Hi, my husband is a technician as well! He got home from Afghanistan in 2018, then got the flu shot on the base, and went paralyzed in 14 days. Was in the hospital for 3 months. Finally, today we found out the LOD was denied and is found unfit for duty. It took them 10 months to come back with a decision. He doesn’t haven enough time to retire since he is hitting a 11 years.
Almosy 13 years guard, 7 years technician. How many years has your husband been a fed tech. Could be eligible for 60/40 disability. And just because the DOD said no disability doesnt mean the VA will say the same

im kinda confused on the order of events? i just signed my CIL, should i see/sign a NARSUM now or after it gets sent to MEB and come back?

im kinda confused on the order of events? i just signed my CIL, should i see/sign a NARSUM now or after it gets sent to MEB and come back?
Im not 100 percent sure on how things are supposed to go, I don't know many of the acronyms. I did see the NARSUM after it was completed. She had me read it and see if there was anything incorrect. The papers/forms that I reviewed were called narrative summary which I think is the NARSUM but I didn't sign it only the person writing it signed it. The narrative summary was sent to guard bureau with all my medical papers for LOD determination. After that it goes to the state air surgeon than back to NGB for fit unfit determination and DoD rate. Comes back to base where they work do paperwork produce orders for removal and during this process I guess we go though VA evaluation. Also dual status work with OPM for possible medical retirement. All this takes along time. I've done some VA exams but it was from things I claimed in 2018 so it wasn't part of this process.

To get a technician medical retirement you only have to have 18 months technician time. But they have to find your not fit for the work you are doing. So it is possible he could get the 60/40 retirement. To collect a military retirement you have to have 15 years I was told, and if it's guard or reserve have to wait until 60 for pension. Im really hoping my LOD doesn't get denied.

im kinda seeing that some people see the NARSUM before it goes to NGB and some dont, then it comes back with the FIT/UNFIT and you sign it then. My LOD is signed up through my Group commander but i dont think went any higher? i dont know though because i was on MEDCON orders for 7 months so id imagine you need an official LOD for that to happen

If I was you I'd ask your medical group if your condition is in the line of duty. It kind of sucks cause a lot of this stuff isn't in our control and we just listen to the experts and hope they're doing it right. They wanted to do my LOD informally just on base a the formal sent to NGB but the issue was everything I was signing was saying not in the line of duty and I was not comfortable with signing it. They told me that later in the process it would turn it an LOD with the evidence alone I didn't like the answers I was getting. Your condition may be an LOD already, mine was missed years ago.

they did tell me my shoulder was service connected and the rest was not.

just got notice that i will be getting 20% for my shoulder injury/surgery from the VA, submitted in May, just had C&P exam last week.

Little update, my case still hasnt been sent to NGB, i was told it would be sent up next week, we will see ive heard that before. But i did get some more VA claims closed and im up to 60% VA disability now. just appealed my asthma not service connected, so see how that goes.

Little update, my case still hasnt been sent to NGB, i was told it would be sent up next week, we will see ive heard that before. But i did get some more VA claims closed and im up to 60% VA disability now. just appealed my asthma not service connected, so see how that goes.
Nice I'm at 70 right now and have a couple more conditions to claim. My paperwork has been sitting at NGB just a hair over two months for the LOD determination. I started this whole process beginning of may and if I'm out by the end of March I would be impressed. Some cases do go faster I think. I felt it was in my best interest to have my condition unfitting conditions to have the formal LOD but that has added to the time. Others on here told me it's a good idea to have the unfitting conditions shown as an LOD.

Last edited: