Aircrew Waiver Guide Question: Asthma

Flyfishx86

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi all,
I have a question regarding aircrew waivers. I am at a standstill and my flight docs are not helpful, so I figured I’ll ask the group.

I have asthma and allergies and I currently and taking immunotherapy for my allergies. I also am taking advair and albuterol for my asthma: diagnosed from failing a Methacholine Challenge Test.
From reading the current aircrew waiver guide on asthma it doesn’t look to promising. it states:
1) ‘...asthmatics who typically fail their Methacholine challenge test are generally not granted waiver’
2) use of more than 3 metered dose inhalers per year is suspicious
3) it list Advair, albuterol as non-waiverable medications.

the above 3 all apply to me and make me worried about my waiver.
does anyone have any insight on how the waiver guide is implemented, because reading it makes it seem like I would be denied.
Thank you, just trying to get insight as I am not a doctor and assume I am not understanding properly.

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
What branch of service? I know from personal experience that Navy Aircrew candidate school is no joke. You have to swim a mile in flight suit and boots... that’s about one hour swimming nonstop, no breaks. You’ll also need to be able to take a very deep breathe and hold it for the helo dunker. You’ll also have to pass a flight physical while there through NAMI (Naval Air Medical Institute). These physicals are no joke.... and no waivers.

Flyfishx86

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I am in the Air Force. The good thing is I am already trained and have a current FCII physical. So I know I do have all that going for me but reading the Usaf waiver guide it doesn’t seem like I’ll get a waiver.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I doubt you will get a waiver. The MSD is more stringent for those on flight status in many ways. I suspect you will be permanently DNIF and be boarded.

Flyfishx86

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Ok, that’s what I thought. My flight docs keep telling me they don’t see any issue at this time. I would like to trust them but it’s been a year dnif now and due to multiple items they have fallen short of being competent.
i truly have a feeling they forgot about the asthma because their guidance matches what I’ve learned about allergies but not the asthma part.

Thank you for the follow up. I’m not a doctor and I don’t want to say they are wrong but in the last year I’ve done a lot of research and feel like things are not matching up.

I’ll keep on waiting I guess

Flyfishx86

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I doubt you will get a waiver. The MSD is more stringent for those on flight status in many ways. I suspect you will be permanently DNIF and be boarded.

@chaplaincharlie on that note of being permanently DNIF and be boarded what happens?
Is this a med board?
The flight doc says it’s out of their hands if my waiver is denied so I am not quite sure my path forward if that is the case. I still have 6 years left on my adsc but I would no longer serve in that capacity.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
If you go Permanently DNIF an MEB should be convened.

Flyfishx86

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Ok, I’m not sure why the flight docs were unaware of that.
I just went through an I-RILO and was returned with a C-2 code. Would I then go through a full MEB? And then if that’s the case what’s the outcome, still return to duty or separate?

thank you for the help, this has helped out a lot.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">