Aircrew Waiver Guide Question: Asthma

Flyfishx86

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi all,
I have a question regarding aircrew waivers. I am at a standstill and my flight docs are not helpful, so I figured I’ll ask the group.

I have asthma and allergies and I currently and taking immunotherapy for my allergies. I also am taking advair and albuterol for my asthma: diagnosed from failing a Methacholine Challenge Test.
From reading the current aircrew waiver guide on asthma it doesn’t look to promising. it states:
1) ‘...asthmatics who typically fail their Methacholine challenge test are generally not granted waiver’
2) use of more than 3 metered dose inhalers per year is suspicious
3) it list Advair, albuterol as non-waiverable medications.

the above 3 all apply to me and make me worried about my waiver.
does anyone have any insight on how the waiver guide is implemented, because reading it makes it seem like I would be denied.
Thank you, just trying to get insight as I am not a doctor and assume I am not understanding properly.

What branch of service? I know from personal experience that Navy Aircrew candidate school is no joke. You have to swim a mile in flight suit and boots... that’s about one hour swimming nonstop, no breaks. You’ll also need to be able to take a very deep breathe and hold it for the helo dunker. You’ll also have to pass a flight physical while there through NAMI (Naval Air Medical Institute). These physicals are no joke.... and no waivers.

I am in the Air Force. The good thing is I am already trained and have a current FCII physical. So I know I do have all that going for me but reading the Usaf waiver guide it doesn’t seem like I’ll get a waiver.

I doubt you will get a waiver. The MSD is more stringent for those on flight status in many ways. I suspect you will be permanently DNIF and be boarded.

Ok, that’s what I thought. My flight docs keep telling me they don’t see any issue at this time. I would like to trust them but it’s been a year dnif now and due to multiple items they have fallen short of being competent.
i truly have a feeling they forgot about the asthma because their guidance matches what I’ve learned about allergies but not the asthma part.

Thank you for the follow up. I’m not a doctor and I don’t want to say they are wrong but in the last year I’ve done a lot of research and feel like things are not matching up.

I’ll keep on waiting I guess

I doubt you will get a waiver. The MSD is more stringent for those on flight status in many ways. I suspect you will be permanently DNIF and be boarded.

@chaplaincharlie on that note of being permanently DNIF and be boarded what happens?
Is this a med board?
The flight doc says it’s out of their hands if my waiver is denied so I am not quite sure my path forward if that is the case. I still have 6 years left on my adsc but I would no longer serve in that capacity.

If you go Permanently DNIF an MEB should be convened.

Ok, I’m not sure why the flight docs were unaware of that.
I just went through an I-RILO and was returned with a C-2 code. Would I then go through a full MEB? And then if that’s the case what’s the outcome, still return to duty or separate?

thank you for the help, this has helped out a lot.

@Flyfishx86 any update on your situation? I'm in a similar boat (ground controller, not rated, but am considered a "flyer" with a FCIII). In a similar boat.