Already at 100% VA comp and 18 good years in the Army Reserve going thru PEB

Hi!

SO this might be a little tricky.

I am a 1SG in the Army Reserves with 18 GOOD years in. The MEB was initiated for my hearing and tinnitus. I am already VA rated (service connected) for my hearing and tinnitus. Will the PEB most likely just separate me or will I get medically retired?

I am also a MILTECH, so I am worried how all of this might affect my job.

Thanks all!

Hi!

SO this might be a little tricky.

I am a 1SG in the Army Reserves with 18 GOOD years in. The MEB was initiated for my hearing and tinnitus. I am already VA rated (service connected) for my hearing and tinnitus. Will the PEB most likely just separate me or will I get medically retired?

I am also a MILTECH, so I am worried how all of this might affect my job.

Thanks all!
nathancannon99, get with your HR and discuss. In the ARNG you must maintain the military affiliation to keep the dual-status military technician position (32USC709). The good news in the ARNG is that if the military affiliation is lost due to a medical retirement, then the individual most likely will qualify for a special provision of the law and get a FERS disability retirement from the federal civil service. If the MILTECH position you are referring to is Title 5 status, then you can keep your civil service job as long as you can accomplish the position description work. Best of luck as you navigate both the military and federal process.

nathancannon99, get with your HR and discuss. In the ARNG you must maintain the military affiliation to keep the dual-status military technician position (32USC709). The good news in the ARNG is that if the military affiliation is lost due to a medical retirement, then the individual most likely will qualify for a special provision of the law and get a FERS disability retirement from the federal civil service. If the MILTECH position you are referring to is Title 5 status, then you can keep your civil service job as long as you can accomplish the position description work. Best of luck as you navigate both the military and federal process.

Thanks a lot for the insight, Ron P! As of right now I am trying to stay in under the COAR program. http://wct.army.mil/modules/soldier/s6-coadCOAR.html