Anaphylactic shock after insect bites

Mikeymil

Registered Member
I am an MI officer with about 5 1/2 years of service. I’ve recently reported to a Cav Squadron. I am trying to determine if my experience yesterday will DQ me from service.

I got bitten by two fire ants yesterday and was in the ER at a civilian hospital with anaphylactic shock within an hour. My whole body was covered in hives and my throat was starting to close. I’ll be carrying an EpiPen for the rest of my life. The ER doctor has me referred to an allergist.

What should I expect from the Army regarding this incident? I understand that an EpiPen and history of anaphylaxis prohibits enlistment, but I am not sure what happens to those who experience this while already in service. Highly-redacted diagnosis paper attached, in case that helps.

Attachments

• 5404DF7D-7DB1-4D53-8553-FA99187A54DB.jpeg
    5404DF7D-7DB1-4D53-8553-FA99187A54DB.jpeg
    448.3 KB · Views: 4
In the resources section of this website, you will find a copy of the guidance on retention. Best wishes. Mike

Your welcome. The website is more than just a forum. I think this website is outstanding as a whole.

Hey Mikeymil, any update on your situation? I have 16 years in and just found out I'm extremely allergic to fire ants. I went into anaphylactic shock and couldn't breathe. I'm just trying to find out if I'll be able to stay in until retirement or if they'll separate or medically retire me.

i am also interested in an update Mikeymil...i'm an air force pilot who recently discovered a food allergen that resulted in an anaphylactic reaction.

I am an MI officer with about 5 1/2 years of service. I’ve recently reported to a Cav Squadron. I am trying to determine if my experience yesterday will DQ me from service.

I got bitten by two fire ants yesterday and was in the ER at a civilian hospital with anaphylactic shock within an hour. My whole body was covered in hives and my throat was starting to close. I’ll be carrying an EpiPen for the rest of my life. The ER doctor has me referred to an allergist.

What should I expect from the Army regarding this incident? I understand that an EpiPen and history of anaphylaxis prohibits enlistment, but I am not sure what happens to those who experience this while already in service. Highly-redacted diagnosis paper attached, in case that helps.
Fire ants are the devil and I am sorry that you had this experience, yet happy you are alive and well. Take care