And so it starts....again

Rjohnson87

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So I just found out I will be going through an MEB, for real this time. The last one was cancelled because my case was accepted and I had my 4th and 5th knee surgery. I am only about 2 months post op from my 5th surgery and was told an MEB was started. I've been looking into information on bilateral issues or combined issues. Because of my knee issues I walk with a limp, and have for quite some time. But it is causing me to have issues with my other(good) knee as well as my ankles and my right hip. I have dull aching pain in my other(good) knee and pain and stiffness in my ankles. And I get sharp pains almost daily in my right hip. I was wondering will those other issues be added to my unfitting condition or would they be a separate?

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
So I just found out I will be going through an MEB, for real this time. The last one was cancelled because my case was accepted and I had my 4th and 5th knee surgery. I am only about 2 months post op from my 5th surgery and was told an MEB was started. I've been looking into information on bilateral issues or combined issues. Because of my knee issues I walk with a limp, and have for quite some time. But it is causing me to have issues with my other(good) knee as well as my ankles and my right hip. I have dull aching pain in my other(good) knee and pain and stiffness in my ankles. And I get sharp pains almost daily in my right hip. I was wondering will those other issues be added to my unfitting condition or would they be a separate?
In retrospect, since the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process is a performance-based system, one important factor is the impact of all medical conditions affecting the military service member's ability to "reasonably perform duties of his or her office, grade, rank or rating."

Therefore, indeed, it's potentially feasible for your good knee, both ankles, and right hip medical conditions to be found "medically unacceptable" by the MEB then "unfit for duty" by the PEB also at least from my prior DoD IDES experiences via an U.S. Army perspective while on military active duty. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
All conditions are suppose to be considered. The new conditions are secondary to your primary condition. You may have to appeal to the FPEB get the secondary conditions included in your DoD percentage. I recommend you get counsel at the appropriate time. When you talk to the C&P examiner besure you lay it out just as you did in your post!

edcny

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
My PEBLO and Nurse Counselor has told me that the PEB only gives ratings for the "refferred condition", so I am being told. This is great news if in fact true.

Rjohnson87

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
YES Chaplaincharlie, that is what I was looking for. Thank you for your input. Yes edcny your DOD percentage is based off of your referred condition, in my case will be my knee. But if you have issues steming from that referred condition, i.e. I walk with a limp because of my referred condition which has caused problems with concurrent joints those should be able to be added to my dod perecentage. At least in a perfect world this will be the case.

edcny

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thanks for the info, because I am in a similar situation and have multiple issues stemming from my referred condition. This helps, thanks fellas.

Rjohnson87

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
edcny how far into the process are you? And what is your referring condition?

edcny

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
My final C&P exam (Behavioral Health, I have already been diagnosed with PTSD) is 12 DEC 18. I was referred for 3 Bulging discs, with pinched nerves down and up both sides of my back, and ridiculopothy, however, I have hip issues, knee/ankle issues (which I have had corrective surgeries on). I think I had a great doctor for my General C&P Exam, and he actively tried to link everything to my back. However I will not know until I see the NARSUM. I am in a relatively weird situation from the sounds of it because I am remote (2 1/2 hours to any Army base) So the NARSUM I believe comes from a doctor that I have and probably will not ever meet. However I have heard nothing but great things about the General C&P exam doctor. So I think I will be ok based off the info I have from all parties involved. But sometimes with this process I think it depends on if the stars align or not.

19OCT18- MEB begins
24OCT18- PEBLO/VA counseling
14NOV18- 3 C&P Exams
12DEC18- Final C&P Exam

Rjohnson87

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Well I guess I should have updated this when I found out. I received a call 2 weeks ago from my Peblo office and was told my name was taken off the MEB list because I did not have enough recovery time after surgery. Also on a sidenote I was finally referred off base for pain management. They did an initial knee injection, which had no effect whatsoever and gave me some different medication, again no effect. The Dr. also threw out the words total knee replacement, but said he isn't able to make that decision as he is just the pain management Dr.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">