ANG T32 starting MEB with 100% VA disability determined back in 2016

Boots N Scoots

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Afternoon,
I'm new to the MEB process and I can't get answers from my MDG. My chronic pain, migraines, and running issues have increased to the point of not being able to keep up. I'm on a daily narcotic for pain. My Guard Doc has started the MEB process. All I have done is give them VA and Civilian doc records from the last year. I also have PTSD but they didn't ask for therapist notes.

I'm most stressed about whether I'm going to be medically retired or medically separated. I will have 23 years total in Dec 2021. I have 11 yrs. 6 mon. 22 days active. Because I have a 100% VA rating will I be medically retired? Or, will only the percentage of the conditions making me unfit for duty count towards hitting the golden 30% required for being medically retired? Also, my brain is already checked out from work and I'm struggling hard to concentrate. How long will this process take?

Thanks!

Afternoon,
I'm new to the MEB process and I can't get answers from my MDG. My chronic pain, migraines, and running issues have increased to the point of not being able to keep up. I'm on a daily narcotic for pain. My Guard Doc has started the MEB process. All I have done is give them VA and Civilian doc records from the last year. I also have PTSD but they didn't ask for therapist notes.

I'm most stressed about whether I'm going to be medically retired or medically separated. I will have 23 years total in Dec 2021. I have 11 yrs. 6 mon. 22 days active. Because I have a 100% VA rating will I be medically retired? Or, will only the percentage of the conditions making me unfit for duty count towards hitting the golden 30% required for being medically retired? Also, my brain is already checked out from work and I'm struggling hard to concentrate. How long will this process take?

Thanks!
Hello @Boots N Scoots

Your retired pay will be computed using one of two methods:
  • your disability percentage (using a minimum of 50 percent for payment purposes IF on the TDRL), referred to as Method A, OR
  • your years of active service, referred to as Method B.
Your pay will be computed based on whichever is more beneficial for you.

Your retired pay will be reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received.

The multiplier discussed above (A and B) will be used as follows: "Method A or B" x average high three base pay = retired pay
Note: If your active duty equivalent is 11.5 yrs; that is 28.75%.

Active duty equivalent: Total creditable points for retirement divided by 360

If you have "20 good years" and when you meet the age requirement for RC retirement, you can apply for RC retirement and upon approval you will be eligilbe for CRDP if otherwise qualified, which will restore the reduced/offset/waived retired pay not to exceed the longevity portion (i.e., Method B).

CRSC info: A Supplement to CRSC Information <---LINK

Ron

Addendum:
@Boots N Scoots

"Or, will only the percentage of the conditions making me unfit for duty count towards hitting the golden 30% required for being medically retired?"

Yes.

Only the disabilities that were found to make you unfit for continued service will be used for the retired pay percentage.

Ron

Thanks Ron,

I have 22 good years but I know they can medically separate me leaving me with nothing but VA disability until I'm 60 and can pull on my military retirement. Based off your response it seems you think I have a good chance at being medically retired rather than medically separated? I thought if I get over 50% I would automatically get CRSC but I don't know if it is 50% VA rating or a 50% MEB rating.

Best Case Scenario:
50% MEB rating = medical retirement
100% VA rating
CRSC
FERS 60/40
is that correct?

Worst case scenario:
10% MEB rating = medical separation
100% VA rating
Lose T32 job with not FERS until retirement age
is that correct?

Any guesses on where I might fall between the best and worst case scenario? Guesses on how long it will take? Since I had comp and pen back in 2017 I assume I have to go through that all over again? I had a million x-rays last time. Will I glow in the dark all over again with all the xrays they will retake? They just recently got xrays and MRI of my knees for pain....found a most likely benign tumor in my left tibia.

Thanks for you help....it will let me sleep easier to know if I can still support my family (4 school age kids, one of which is quadriplegic and 100% disabled). By the way, I worked in a radar that tracked and identified objects in space. The other ladies I was pregnant with at the same time all lost their children. Mine survived to be functionally blind, nonverbal, quadriplegic, intractable seizures, down syndrome, hydrocephalic and microcephalic, and a myriad of kidney, bladder, breathing - bi-pap, swallowing, aspiration pneumonias, gut motility, etc. issues. She had to have a full spinal fusion after reaching 80% scoliosis curve. She requires 24/7 skilled nursing care (we only have about 60 hours a week), is tube fed, cathed every 3-4 hours, and hardly living any quality of life. The Air Force said it was not due to the radar. Despite many women losing their children while working there, they will not claim it. I would have to find every woman who worked there and get them to put in paperwork if they lost a child. I can't do that.

[selected text]
Thanks Ron,

I have 22 good years but I know they can medically separate me leaving me with nothing but VA disability until I'm 60 and can pull on my military retirement. Based off your response it seems you think I have a good chance at being medically retired rather than medically separated? I thought if I get over 50% I would automatically get CRSC but I don't know if it is 50% VA rating or a 50% MEB rating.

Best Case Scenario:
100% VA rating
CRSC
FERS 60/40
is that correct?

Worst case scenario:
100% VA rating
is that correct?

Any guesses on where I might fall between the best and worst case scenario? Guesses on how long it will take? Since I had comp and pen back in 2017 I assume I have to go through that all over again? I had a million x-rays last time. Will I glow in the dark all over again with all the xrays they will retake? They just recently got xrays and MRI of my knees for pain....found a most likely benign tumor in my left tibia.
Hello @Boots N Scoots ,

A few comments follow.

1. I know nothing about FERS and cannot predict ratings.

2. You are confusing CRSC and CRDP. I discussed CRDP when you met the age requirement for RC retirement. CRDP requires a 50% VA rating or more. CRSC (for which I provided a link) replaces some or all of waived retired pay for combat related disabilities. Ten percent is the minimum approval CRSC percentage. See the links at items 5 thru 7.

3. CRDP will not be paid until you fully qualify for RC retirement (i.e., meet the age requirement, approved RC retirement, have at least 50% VA rating).

4. Please keep in mind that without CRDP or possibly CRSC your retired pay is going to be reduced by the amount of VA compensation received without restoration.
EXAMPLE: RETIRED PAY 2500; VA COMPENSATION 3000. 2500 minus 3000 = zero retired pay. That is the importance of CRDP which restores some or all or waived retired pay. CRSC replaces some or all of waived retired pay.

5. DFAS CRDP: Defense Finance and Accounting Service > RetiredMilitary > disability > crdp <---LINK
6. DFAS CRSC: Defense Finance and Accounting Service > RetiredMilitary > disability > crsc <---LINK
7. Collection of CRSC material: A Supplement to CRSC Information <---LINK

cc: @Provis @Guardguy11 @chaplaincharlie

Ron

Last edited:
Thanks Ron,

Best Case Scenario:
100% VA rating
CRSC
FERS 60/40
is that correct?

Worst case scenario:
100% VA rating
is that correct?

Thanks for you help....it will let me sleep easier to know if I can still support my family (4 school age kids, one of which is quadriplegic and 100% disabled). By the way, I worked in a radar that tracked and identified objects in space. The other ladies I was pregnant with at the same time all lost their children. Mine survived to be functionally blind, nonverbal, quadriplegic, intractable seizures, down syndrome, hydrocephalic and microcephalic, and a myriad of kidney, bladder, breathing - bi-pap, swallowing, aspiration pneumonias, gut motility, etc. issues. She had to have a full spinal fusion after reaching 80% scoliosis curve. She requires 24/7 skilled nursing care (we only have about 60 hours a week), is tube fed, cathed every 3-4 hours, and hardly living any quality of life. The Air Force said it was not due to the radar. Despite many women losing their children while working there, they will not claim it. I would have to find every woman who worked there and get them to put in paperwork if they lost a child. I can't do that.
Hey. Talk to your HR before you do anything with your T32 position. If you have over 18 months with the federal service, and you hold a military position, If you were to lose your job for the Medical board you should be able to be given the same or similar job as a civilian OR be federally retired through the federal system. There are some forms to fill out, however it would benefit you a lot to look into this. Call your HR rep as soon as you hit the medical board and tell them you are going through it and you are a tech. Also start scouring OPM. Here is some starting reading material. Do not put in a notice while going through this..

I would look up FERS disability retirement. This works in favor of Vets who work as federal workers that hold a dual status position.

I haven't told anyone yet other than speaking with MDG doc. I'm not sure sure how I'm going to be rated or if I should stop the process if possible. Since I sit at a desk I'm not sure that anything is going to be identified as a 'military' disability. Since my comp and pen in 2016 I've had Complex PTSD diagnosed. I finally reported a military sexual trauma from 2014.

unspecified depressive and anxiety disorders30%Service Connected10/31/2016
lumbosacral strain to include minimal thoracic spondylosis (claimed as low back pain)20%Service Connected10/31/2016
cervical sprain and lordosis to include intervertebral disc space loss, mild (claimed as neck injury)20%Service Connected10/31/2016
radiculopathy, left upper extremity30%Service Connected10/31/2016
migraine50%Service Connected10/31/2016
mild chrondropatella, left knee to include patchy sclerosis in the proximal tibia metaphysis (claimed as bilateral knee)10%Service Connected10/31/2016
lateral collateral ligament sprain, left ankle (claimed as bilateral ankle)10%Service Connected10/31/2016
mild chrondropatella, right knee10%Service Connected10/31/2016
lateral collateral ligament sprain, right ankle (claimed as bilateral ankle)10%Service Connected10/31/2016
flat foot with plantar fasciitis, left foot30%Service Connected10/31/2016
residuals, hysterectomy (claimed as adenomyosis, dysmenorrhea, right flank pain and ovarian cyst removal)30%Service Connected10/31/2016
right ovary, status post surgical removal0%Service Connected10/31/2016
appendectomy with scarringNot Service Connected
fatigueNot Service Connected
tinnitus10%Service Connected10/31/2016
temporomandibular joint disorder (claimed as TMJ)20%Service Connected10/31/2016
flat foot, right footNot Service Connected
myalgiaNot Service Connected
maxillary sinus polyp also claimed as congestion disorder0%Service Connected10/31/2016
left hip sacroiliac joint conditionNot Service Connected
umbilical hernia repairNot Service Connected
fatty tumor removed underarmNot Service Connected
bilateral hearing lossNot Service Connected

RonG I thought that because I have over 8 years active duty that if I am found unfit for duty over 30% I will start my military medical retirement pay. I thought that if it is over 50% I would get CRDP.

As for FERS, if I am over 30% I can get 60% retirement the first year and 40% each subsequent year until retirement age (I believe). However, I think that is only if I apply for SSDI.

I just found this on another thread from Provis Moderator:
"You need 20 year letter to qualify for CRDP. If you can be found unfit with LOD you will get medical retirement now if unfit LOD condition(s) are rated 30% or higher."

I will have 23 good years in December 2021 (5 months from now). 11 year 6 months and 22 days of that were active duty. If I'm rated militarily speaking over 30% I should be getting a military medical retirement right?

I just found this on another thread from Provis Moderator:
"You need 20 year letter to qualify for CRDP. If you can be found unfit with LOD you will get medical retirement now if unfit LOD condition(s) are rated 30% or higher."

I will have 23 good years in December 2021 (5 months from now). 11 year 6 months and 22 days of that were active duty. If I'm rated militarily speaking over 30% I should be getting a military medical retirement right
You need to get a profile. Then medical has to request a fit for duty exam. Then be put into IDES. Then found unfit with 30% or higher for referred unfitting conditions. You don't get a medical retirement in the Guard or Reserves just because you have service connected disabilities. There is a process and you don't get to start the process. You get to take care of your health and communicate how your health affect your work performance. From there is up to the discretion of your military medical provider to refer you to IDES.

Hmmm I don’t know if I should be on a profile. I take gabapentin and oxycodone daily for pain. They have known this for a long time. I always update my scripts.