Ankylosing spondylitis/humira ..MEB?

Dannyohh

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hi everyone I am 27 years old currently active army and recently diagnosed with Ankylosing spondylitis from my off post rhumatoloagist it is a form of arthritis and I was prescribed humira for life. They are initiating a MEB. Anybody with experience on this disease/medication and MEB process please helpon advice with possible outcomes. Will I be denied, or is there a good chance of me being medicallyseparated from service? Any experienced input on this specific disease and med againplease help! Thank you

Sorry, just seeing this. I was just prescribed Humira a few months ago for psoriasis, and the MEB paperwork is just now starting to get put together. They wanted to observe me on the Humira for a few months before pressing with the MEB to make sure the treatment plan is one that would have a positive result on your life/condition, so expect them to do the same with you if they haven't already.

Everything I have seen is that the Humira is disqualifying, so I'm sort of expecting to get an unfit rating, but my PCM is saying that's not going to happen. I don't know how much latitude the board has to deviate from the published guidance of the MSD/waiver guide, but the doc seems confident I'm going to be retained. I'm an Air Force pilot, so I don't know how similar or different our situations are going to be, so take that with a grain of salt! All the best.

I know this is an old thread but what was the outcome of your guys' cases? I'm currently in the process and have been on humira for 12 months for my psoriasis/ PsA

I'm headed to Cali for my C&P exams soon. The only difference between our cases is that in addition to the Humira, I'm also on Methotrexate. I'll let you know though. I've been told by several folks though to prepare for an unfit finding by the PEB.

Hope this helps. Where are you at in the process?

I have Psoriasis and take humira, also have ulcerative colitis. Was found unfit.

Finished my C&P exams and signed my NARSUM from the MEB. Was found unfit for a mental disorder, Psoriasis, and a Disc Bulge with Annular fissure and degenerative arthritis of the lumbar spine. Good luck on your C&P exams! I'm just curious if I will get 60% from DOD for Psoriasis due to the auto immune suppressants and if it will be PDRL.

Nope. Still waiting. Today is day 58 waiting on the VA for ratings. The Psoriasis should be 60%. The UC I'm unsure of, should be either 60% or 100%. Probably 60%. Thinking I'll be 80% DOD/100% VA.

Found out my holdup with the VA. They are waiting on my VA claim to be uploaded into the system from 2006. Ugh.

Found out my holdup with the VA. They are waiting on my VA claim to be uploaded into the system from 2006. Ugh.
They needed your prior claim? I had a percentage before I started the process so hopefully I don't run into the same bump in the road.

Yep. Apperantly so. Maybe it's because I requested an increase on that already rated condition.

WhenBearsFly,

You're on Humira and MTX on flying status and your PCM expects a retain? Did they say why? I will be happy for you, but extremely disappointed with my PCM since I'm on MTX and Plaquenil and was given a hard "no" to my flying waiver three separate times (meaning that I was found 'unfit')

I think my PCM is crazy.... No one else I've spoken to expects me to come back up. I think after I started Methotrexate, her tune changed a little, but she's deployed now, so I haven't spoken to her in a couple of months.