Another BCNR Denial Thread

KLove407

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello all, and thanks for reading. I am mainly posting this, though, for other females who may deal with what I have, and still am dealing with. When I first researched on the web for my issues, I found NOTHING. For a little background information, I was an HM in the Navy for 10 almost 11 years. In 2013 I began experiencing changes with my body. Hot flashes, insomnia, thinning of hair,lack of concentration, depression, weight gain, and difficulty loosing weight even with being on appetite suppressants, and eating little to nothing most days, and working out (intense cardio, or running 2-3+ miles) for an hour 5 days a week, minimum. After speaking to OBGYN, they ran some blood test. Well, they never followed up with me on the results (this was NOV 2013). Non the less, I went from 28% to 37% in 6 months, and failed my second BCA in 4 years (1st on was in June 2010). When I had my lab results pulled I noticed that I had some low and low normal results with my estradiol, and T4 (thyroxine). I called the GYN clinic and spoke with the provider, which is when she told me about having low estrogen levels. She wanted to start me on hormone replacement therapy, but told me I couldn’t start it until I quit smoking, and that I wouldn’t be able to lose weight until I stabilized my estradiol levels. This was in January 2014. Fast forward to May, I failed my 3rd BCA. It was that same month I received hormone replacement (aka birth control pill with lots of estradiol). I was processed out in AUG 2014, and given half of my separation pay for involuntary separation. Three years later (almost) I was going through my medical records, and saw where I was actually diagnosed with peri menopause! So with this new information, I did a lot of reading and research. Come to find out, there are many studies that have been done and indicate it causes fat to increase in the female’s waist or mid section and the body becomes resistant to losing the fat bc the fat has taken over producing the estradiol. So I filed with the Discharge Review Board first. They transferred my case over to the BCNR. The BCNR sent me an AO beginning of May this year saying “based on my medical opinion, there is insufficient evidence to support MS. contention that her condition caused significant weight gain, negatively impact her ability to lose weight, and that she should have been waived from the BCA that led to her admin separation.” Of course I sent in my rebuttal, which I will upload to here if possible. I got my denial today, which was dated for June 17th 2018 (which was typed in with type writer). In the letter, they are only addressing the items that were mentioned in my AO. They were talking in circles, and deflecting to the fullest. I honestly felt like they purposefully did not address the items I submitted in my rebuttal, so when a person who may read this letter on, say, the reading room boards, it won’t make them look negligible or wrong in the decision. Also, they agree that I was diagnosed with perimenopause (at age 29 BTW), but bc of my previous BCA failures, and me losing 1.5 inches from my hips/butt, that flawed my argument. Such BS! How the hell does one gain 15-20 lbs in 5 1/2 to 6 months with all of the active ness, and cardio work outs? They also stated on the denial that I did not qualify for disability benefits from the DOD. I never asked for disability benefits from DOD. All I Asked for was the other half of my involuntary separation pay based on me having a medical condition that caused my inability to lose weight. So, again, putting BS on the letter, so if , and when someone views my letter, their hands will look clean, and they will look thorough. The question at this point is should I continue to pursue it? Or do I let it go? I think it’s pretty messed up how I was screwed over, after the hard work, dedication, and so much more I gave to the Navy, they do me like this! I missed funerals, lost babies, lost close friends to suicide, lost a marriage, missed time with family, and gave the best years of my life to this freaking organization, and they hang me out to dry like me this? WOW! Non the less, if any other female vets or current active duty have, or is experiencing premature menopause/peri-menopause and need support or have questions, or whatever, hit me up.

Here is my BCNR rebuttal to the AO for anyone who cares to read. I also would like to point out another factor. I'm not sure with other cases, but for mine, I'm quite certain that they either went forward with a decision that was already made before receiving my rebuttal, or they didn't take the time to even read through most (maybe ANY) of my case. My AO letter was received with my current, updated address on it, however, my decision letter was sent to my previous address (the one I had on my original package), and forwarded to where I currently reside. The VA may have their flaws, but them compared to the DOD makes them look like SAINTS! HA!

Attachments

• BCNR Rebuttal.pdf
    766.9 KB · Views: 18