Anyone done the Legacy DES process?

TAM2215

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I feel like sitting put on the typical IDES process for my MEB is the way to go, but the temptation of separating within 60 days and ensuring I get a specific job I applied for has me curious. Does anyone have any experience with the LDES? Pros/Cons? Thanks.

Minder, Tyler A.

Mr. Perry has posted a few items on the differences between LDES and IDES. General idea- IDES loops the Veterans Affairs folks into the disability % process, which generally results in a higher DoD determined disability percentage for the members being processed. LDES may be faster, but the VA doesn't get directly involved in the process until after the DoD is finished with it. This generally means you'd have to follow-up with the VA later, and that the DoD determined disability rating percentages may be lower than those determined through the IDES process.

Every case and situation is different. However, my general view is that absent really compelling circumstances, it is almost always better to go through IDES vice Legacy process.

I agree with Jason on the LDES. Below is two documents that I was recently given by my State, I'm a Title32 AGR, for one of my Soldiers that is preparing to be put in the MEB/PEB process like I am. I wasn't offered this when I started in 2016 but for some reason my Soldier wasn't allowed to be input into the IDES. They are making an offer for him to choose between the LDES and have to do a counseling elections saying he does or doesn't want to enter the LDES. I think from reading it the LDES CAN lower your ratings if a person choose the LDES if they was already rated and there is really no help in the LDES, legal, PEBLO as a guide and so forth. So for my Soldiers I tell them to elect IDES regardless as I've seen all the things that have gone on with my IDES and I've been successful in appealing to have my case sent from the PEB back to the MEB to account for a new condition after the MEB review working with a nice lawyer I was assigned with my appeal to the PEB findings in order to give the PEB accurate information to make a decision. I'm favorable to the IDES as I've learned so much in the process to help guide my folks through this if they are put into it.

Attachments

• Encl 4 Trifold IDES v LDES.pdf
    110.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Sample LDES DA4856.pdf
    55.3 KB · Views: 41
I agree with Jason on the LDES. Below is two documents that I was recently given by my State, I'm a Title32 AGR, for one of my Soldiers that is preparing to be put in the MEB/PEB process like I am. I wasn't offered this when I started in 2016 but for some reason my Soldier wasn't allowed to be input into the IDES. They are making an offer for him to choose between the LDES and have to do a counseling elections saying he does or doesn't want to enter the LDES. I think from reading it the LDES CAN lower your ratings if a person choose the LDES if they was already rated and there is really no help in the LDES, legal, PEBLO as a guide and so forth. So for my Soldiers I tell them to elect IDES regardless as I've seen all the things that have gone on with my IDES and I've been successful in appealing to have my case sent from the PEB back to the MEB to account for a new condition after the MEB review working with a nice lawyer I was assigned with my appeal to the PEB findings in order to give the PEB accurate information to make a decision. I'm favorable to the IDES as I've learned so much in the process to help guide my folks through this if they are put into it.
Trying to understand what you wrote. Even if you have a va rating and you go thru the LDES the PEB can still lower your va rating, even when the va is not involved in the LDES?

Yes. It’s written on the counseling statement. In the LDES the VA is NOT involved and the PEB board can increase, decrease or keep your current ratings but it’s all up to them. That’s a chance I will not take.