Anyone have any idea what this means from my HLR notification letter?

dwbell99

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Anyone have any idea what this means from my HLR notification letter?

HLR notification letter starts off like this:
VA completed your request for Higher-Level Review received on May 4, 2020 and identified an error in assisting you in gathering evidence to support your claim in each of your claimed conditions. VA will provide you notification of the evidence we will obtain to address these errors under a separate cover.

Camp P Marine

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
The HLR ID'd a duty to assist error, so they will direct development action(s) to correct the error and consider the additional evidence, in another decision. This could include exams, records, etc.

dwbell99

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
The HLR ID'd a duty to assist error, so they will direct development action(s) to correct the error and consider the additional evidence, in another decision. This could include exams, records, etc.
Thanks for the information. Will this reopen the supplemental that this HLR is based on?

Camp P Marine

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Yes.

I.6.5.d. Returning DTA Errors for Correction

A higher-level reviewer who finds a DTA error will complete a VA Form 20-0999,Higher-Level Review Return, for the affected issue(s). Complete the Favorable Findings section of VA Form 20-0999, or, if a rating issue, use VBMS-R, as necessary to justify the development to resolve downstream issues of a grant of benefits not yet fully implemented.

The return of a request to correct a DTA error concludes the HLR for that issue. Veteran Service Representatives (VSRs) and Rating VSRs (RVSRs) will then treat that issue like a supplemental claim.

Under the What We Decided section of the decision notice, the reviewer will include the statement below to notify the claimant of the disposition of those issue(s).

We completed your request for higher-level review on the following issue(s):
  • [Insert Issue]
  • [Insert Issue]
However, we need to develop for additional evidence before we can properly decide your claim.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">