Anyone have experience with IRILO process, I'm at 18.5 years in possible MEB

xhades11

Registered Member
Condition: Pullicid Marginal Degeneration of my right eye

I'm currently going through the IRILO process for a medical condition. This condition does not affect my in garrison job performance and I have not missed any workdays because of it. Recently there was a procedure that was approved by the FDA and approved by the Air Force that is a one-time treatment for this condition and stops it from getting worse. This only affects my right eye.

I decided to hold off on the treatment because I was tasked for deployment and the condition was not particularly bothering me. After my last deployment in the summer of 2019, I went to the doctor to get the treatment scheduled for Lackland. At this point, the issue was bothering me and causing headaches and double vision after prolonged computer use, my deployment had me working 14-16 hour days in front of a computer six days a week and half days on Sundays but didn't disclose this to my doctor. I had the treatment scheduled but another tasking dropped for a summer 2020 deployment. Because of this I canceled my procedure and went about my business not wanting to jeopardize the tasking and just planned to get the procedure done when I got back from this deployment.

When I started my medical out-processing, the doctor asked why I canceled my scheduled procedure and I stated I was just going to get it completed when I got back from this deployment. He stated this procedure really needs to get done to stop the progression. I disclosed that it was causing migraines due to the double vision and recommended I get special contacts which would help with the condition. Because of the specialty contacts, I'm now limited to where I can deploy too.

Now I'm facing an IRILO and possible MEB and have been told this case caused increased scrutiny due to me being rendered non-deployable while tasked. I'm kinda freaking out here, I've deployed 6 times in my career, have never failed a P.T. test, and have never had disciplinary issues. I've been trying to get information from the PEB, PCM, and first sergeant on how concerned I should be, but they can't give me a straight answer. I've never had experience with troops having to go through this process so I'm in the dark. Anyone go through this process that can shed light on it? My commander is strongly recommending I be retained.

So you have 18.5 years
In currently as of today? How much terminal can you save between now and 20? Terminal leave will count towards your 20. It sounds like a MEB hasn’t yet been started for you. That’s a good thing. A MEB can take a full year or more if you nonconcur and appeal at all 6 stages. Also you’ll get ten days to respond at each stage. That’s another 60 days just in appeal wait times alone.

your best bet is to slow down the process at every step. And once you hit 19, apply for regular retirement. Then it’s just a matter of convincing the PEB to go ahead and let you retire at your approved 20 year date, which most likely won’t be but a few months off from a CH61 retirement date.

What did the DAWG recommend? If both you commander and the DAWG recommend an RTD you have a good shot at a RTD with a C code.
i just went through a IRILO at 19 plus years and got an RTD with a C-code

So you have 18.5 years
In currently as of today? How much terminal can you save between now and 20? Terminal leave will count towards your 20. It sounds like a MEB hasn’t yet been started for you. That’s a good thing. A MEB can take a full year or more if you nonconcur and appeal at all 6 stages. Also you’ll get ten days to respond at each stage. That’s another 60 days just in appeal wait times alone.

your best bet is to slow down the process at every step. And once you hit 19, apply for regular retirement. Then it’s just a matter of convincing the PEB to go ahead and let you retire at your approved 20 year date, which most likely won’t be but a few months off from a CH61 retirement date.
Awesome, thank you for the information. I'm currently at the IRILO Phase which is going to AFPC Medical Evaluation Branch to make a determination if I have to meet an MEB. I have contacted an attorney in case this goes to an MEB, his advise was the same, drag this out as long as possible. Would it be wise to retain an attorney to help during the MEB phase? I can bank 72.5 days of leave when I account for having to use "use or lose". I'm definitely stressing about this.
What did the DAWG recommend? If both you commander and the DAWG recommend an RTD you have a good shot at a RTD with a C code.
i just went through a IRILO at 19 plus years and got an RTD with a C-code
My commander is recommending a return to duty, I dont know what the DAWG is recommending. I thought the DAWG was the one who referred me to an IRILO

Yes they are the ones that referred you but there is a spot on your IRILO package that they get to recommend a RTD or a full MEB as well.

Your PEBLO has this packet an should be able to share it with you.

Check guidance for use or lose. Last I saw, the max limit was bumped to 120 days due to COVID, with an expiration period of late 2023 (Sept, I think).

I would not freak out over an IRILO. Get your eye fixed and the IRILO has the option of return to duty. I'm not sure which eye condition you have, but often quick treatment spares vision. Take care of yourself.