Anyone know the VA Codes on PEB Unfit Memo?

eagleone

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Wisec84 said:
OK I found it but its confusing.

Section V - Admin Determinations

" 1. The disability disposition is not based on disease or injury incurred in the line of duty in combat with an enemy of the United States and as a direct result of armed conflict or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurred in the line of duty during a period of war (5 USC 8332, 3502, and 6303). (This determination is made for all compensable cases but pertains to potential benefits for disability retirees employed under Federal Civil Service.)

2. blah blah blah 1975

3. The disability did not result from a combat-related injury under the provitions of 26 USC 104 or 10 USC 10216

4. The disability severance pay was awarded for disability incurred in a combat zone or incurred while performing combat-related operations as desighnated by the Secretary of Defense (10 USC 1212) "

So 1 and 3 say its not combat related but #4 says that my severance pay is. So according to what they put, my severance wont be taxed and I wont have to repay the VA? So my PEBLO was right?​

eagleone

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Sounds like the "V" codes are related to combat-related. Section V is a section on the new 199. That is why we have had some confusion; the 199 has a new format and doesn't seem to be using 10a,10b, 10c, or 10d.

(Sounds like my PEBLO failed me again.) LOL

joelf

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Does anyone know where I could view the new version of form 199? USAPA doesn't appear to be any help...

Travelerusa40

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Ca
It took me two days to figure this one out from my own PEB so I hope I have it figured out. I think the key is the translation of the V-codes on the unfit memorandum that a service member receives from the PEB that is sent to the VA requesting a rating. Yes or No indicate whether the injury falls under that specific deignation.

V1 = 10a
V3 = 10c
V4 = 10d

Once you have this little gem then you can find out what 10a, c, and d mean. Looking below, you will find that they are references to whether or not an injury is combat related.
This is what was on my unfit memo from the PEB. From what I can tell the V4-Yes next to the PTSD diagnosis indicates a combat type relationship.

o PTSD (MEB Dx 1) (V1-No; V3-No; V4-Yes)
o Lumbar DDD (MEB Dx 2) (V1-No; V3-No; V4-No)
o Right knee osteoarthritis (MEB Dx 3) (V1-No; V3-No; V4-No)
o Left knee osteoarthritis (MEB Dx 4) (V1-No; V3-No; V4-No)
o Chronic left lateral epicondylitis (MEB Dx 5) (V1-No; V3-No; V4-No)
All my PEBLO could tell me was that it has to do with taxes. It looks like these codes may also be used in determining eligibility for CRSC or CRDP but I am not sure on that. You will need someone smarter that I to answer that one.

Here is the link for the Google search results. The second result from the top is is to a Word document that is named "25 Jun 97". Don't fear this though, the document you will get to is the 24 Oct 2011 version. When I opened the link it asked for a login for hrc.army.mil but I hit cancel and the document opened up. It is a lengthy read but hopefully you will get a better idea what the codes mean.

"The above is a guide to be used in determining the proper designation of disabilities as combat related (10a, 10c, or 10d)."
Can you tell me what you found out about the "V4" for PTSD? Mine was the same thing PTSD (V1-No, V3-No, V4-Yes). Does this mean I get severance pay below the 30%? on this condition?

hucklebuck

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Wish I could help you out a bit more on this. I am still waiting on the VA to send my proposed ratings so I wont really know more until I get my 199 back. As far as severance and the 30% goes, someone else will need to chime in on that.

eagleone

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Did anyone ever find a definite description for these codes?

Thanks to Chris Conn,

Section V (new 199)

v1 "No" = The disability disposition is not based on disease or injury incurred in the line of duty in combat with an enemy of the United States and as a direct result of armed conflict or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurred in the line of duty during a period of war (5 USC 8332, 3502, and 6303). (This determination is made for all compensable cases but pertains to‘potential benefits for disability retirees employed under Federa! Civil Service.)

v2 "No" = Evidence of record reflects the Soldier was not a member or obligated to become a member of an armed force or Reserve thereof, or the NOAA or the USPHS on 24 September 1975.

v3 "No" = The disability did not result from a combat—related injury under the provisions of 26
USC 104 or 10 USC 10216.

v4 "No" = The disability severance pay was not awarded for disability incurred in a combat zone or incurred while performing combat—related operations as designated by the Secretary of Defense (10 USC 1212).

Attachments

• Section III unkown PEB guide V-Codes.pdf
    31.5 KB · Views: 119

Travelerusa40

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Joelf,

I will probably find out in about a week or two when I receive my 199. About half of my injuries are directly related to airborne operations, but I received "no"s on all V1 V3 V4s on my "unfitting memo." If I get a combat-related on my 199, it will confirm that the "unfitting memo" to the VA is not talking about combat-related matters. I can't find anything on AKO or google defining them.

I wish that I could find a way to get combat-related for my asthma (burn-pit related), but I haven't found anything about that.
Can you help out with the V Codes. I am reading them but a little lost. If I got a V4 "Yes" for PTSD does that mean combat realated and will I get CRSC? Will the rating be 50% or more for PTSD.

onedaycloser

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have a v-4 with yes on mine also and cant wait to see what it means. I believe we will be happy with it but time will tell.

eagleone

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have a v-4 with yes on mine also and cant wait to see what it means. I believe we will be happy with it but time will tell.

V4= Injury occured in a war zone. It will save you lots of money if you are separated. Don't think it does anything for you if you are retired.

kwon

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
it should be ur injury is combat related and ur severance pay should be tax free.

eagleone

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
it should be ur injury is combat related and ur severance pay should be tax free.

Unless someone has V1 or V3 - "yes." The PEB doesn't consider the injury as "combat-related."

Examples:
V4 (only) - "Yes" means that the injury or sickness occured in a combat-zone. Nothing more, nor less. Break ankle playing volleyball in Afg. = V4 (applies to a separated soldier, but noone else - no payback of separation pay). Not combat related, but occured in a combat-zone.

IED related injury = V1 AND V4. SMs retired for related injuries are tax-free, AND separated SMs don't payback separation pay.

Mr Wallace

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Okay. Thats correct though. Does that really change anything as far as % or discharge?

eagleone

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Okay. Thats correct though. Does that really change anything as far as % or discharge?

There are several benifits: V1/V3 = Tax free retirement and Combat Related Special Pay. V4= No requirement to pay back separation pay.

There is no increase in percentages or change discharge.

mike762414

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Ok then for mine:
My back all 3 V codes were a no, but for my dysthymia all 3 V codes were a yes. If I am understanding this part correctly, that means that whatever % I get rated for dysthymia I will be able to claim CRSC?

onedaycloser

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
i belive your right mike if all your v's has a yes. you should look into getting tgsli as well as the crsc. i have a yes in the v-4 and it means if you have less than 6 years in service and granted severance pay they will give you the 6 year service credit to help determine your severance pay. so anyone with more than 6 years service already it wont help you any.

v8colorado

Registered Member
Thanks to Chris Conn,

Section V (new 199)

v1 "No" = The disability disposition is not based on disease or injury incurred in the line of duty in combat with an enemy of the United States and as a direct result of armed conflict or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurred in the line of duty during a period of war (5 USC 8332, 3502, and 6303). (This determination is made for all compensable cases but pertains to‘potential benefits for disability retirees employed under Federa! Civil Service.)

v2 "No" = Evidence of record reflects the Soldier was not a member or obligated to become a member of an armed force or Reserve thereof, or the NOAA or the USPHS on 24 September 1975.

v3 "No" = The disability did not result from a combat—related injury under the provisions of 26
USC 104 or 10 USC 10216.

v4 "No" = The disability severance pay was not awarded for disability incurred in a combat zone or incurred while performing combat—related operations as designated by the Secretary of Defense (10 USC 1212).
On my friends DA 199 V4 says severance pay WAS awarded.?? I'm confused now. I have all yes.