Anyone know the VA Codes on PEB Unfit Memo?

I got a copy of my PEB memo saying unfit for five things. Next to each thing listed it said V1-NO, V3-Yes, and V4-Yes. For each condition it said that after and it changed up like for two it had same number but all yes, or two no and yes. Does anyone know what this mean? My Peblo said she didn't know it was probably a VA Code.
6. Severance pay enhancement IAW 10 USC 1212 results if the condition has been "incurred in line of duty in a combat zone" or incurred during the performance of duty in combat-related operations (direct result of armed conflict). "Incurred" means that the ILOD condition had its medical origin while the Soldier was in the combat zone. The designation is normally to be applied only to a "very special, yet limited, subset of those who matriculate through the Disability Evaluation System." Conditions that have been diagnosed or determined to have had their inception prior to deployment to a combat zone are normally not considered to have been incurred in the combat zone even if the condition may appear worse after deployment or is first diagnosed. Conditions that exist (do not have to have been officially diagnosed) before deployment to a combat zone that have been aggravated by combat zone deployment, to the extent that the service member’s condition is clearly only unfitting because of the deployment, can be determined to have been incurred in the combat zone. The PEB must weigh the evidence and reach their best determination, based on the preponderance of the evidence, in accordance with the unique facts of each case. If the service member receives such a designation the service member receives a minimum of 6 years military service for computation of severance pay and the VA will not reduce their compensation based on the military severance pay. The Army uses para 10d/V-4 to designate this finding.

7. The above is a guide to be used in determining the proper designation of disabilities as combat related (10a/V-1, 10c/V-3, or 10d/V-4). Whether the disability is designated as such will usually depend upon the facts and circumstances in each particular case. The PEB must make a factual determination based on the preponderance of the evidence. It is not necessary that, in each case, the evidence of how the unfitting condition was incurred be documented in the HREC at the time of the injury. The PEB has the requirement to weigh all the evidence and make logical evidence based findings. The PEB’s findings that the conditions are combat related can be based solely on the Soldier’s testimony/statement when that testimony is determined to be reasonable and is not contradicted by other evidence. Definitions have been provided to help in most determinations, but they cannot effectively cover every situation or occurrence. On designations that may be questionable it would be helpful to include the rationale for the combat related decision on the DA Form 199. If more than one disability is listed on the DA Form 199 at block 8b, or section IV of the E-PEB version, the 10a/c/d-V1/3/4 designations do not automatically apply to all listed unfitting disabilities. Unless the written rationale concerning the injury or disease is one that clearly describes a particular type of "combat related" classification (example: rationale describes how bullet wound severed nerve in firefight = direct result of armed conflict), the PEB should indicate, after each unfitting condition in block 8b, whether the condition was "combat related" and, if so, what particular combat related condition caused it."

6. Severance pay enhancement IAW 10 USC 1212 results if the condition has been "incurred in line of duty in a combat zone" or incurred during the performance of duty in combat-related operations (direct result of armed conflict). "Incurred" means that the ILOD condition had its medical origin while the Soldier was in the combat zone. The designation is normally to be applied only to a "very special, yet limited, subset of those who matriculate through the Disability Evaluation System." Conditions that have been diagnosed or determined to have had their inception prior to deployment to a combat zone are normally not considered to have been incurred in the combat zone even if the condition may appear worse after deployment or is first diagnosed. Conditions that exist (do not have to have been officially diagnosed) before deployment to a combat zone that have been aggravated by combat zone deployment, to the extent that the service member’s condition is clearly only unfitting because of the deployment, can be determined to have been incurred in the combat zone. The PEB must weigh the evidence and reach their best determination, based on the preponderance of the evidence, in accordance with the unique facts of each case. If the service member receives such a designation the service member receives a minimum of 6 years military service for computation of severance pay and the VA will not reduce their compensation based on the military severance pay. The Army uses para 10d/V-4 to designate this finding.

7. The above is a guide to be used in determining the proper designation of disabilities as combat related (10a/V-1, 10c/V-3, or 10d/V-4). Whether the disability is designated as such will usually depend upon the facts and circumstances in each particular case. The PEB must make a factual determination based on the preponderance of the evidence. It is not necessary that, in each case, the evidence of how the unfitting condition was incurred be documented in the HREC at the time of the injury. The PEB has the requirement to weigh all the evidence and make logical evidence based findings. The PEB’s findings that the conditions are combat related can be based solely on the Soldier’s testimony/statement when that testimony is determined to be reasonable and is not contradicted by other evidence. Definitions have been provided to help in most determinations, but they cannot effectively cover every situation or occurrence. On designations that may be questionable it would be helpful to include the rationale for the combat related decision on the DA Form 199. If more than one disability is listed on the DA Form 199 at block 8b, or section IV of the E-PEB version, the 10a/c/d-V1/3/4 designations do not automatically apply to all listed unfitting disabilities. Unless the written rationale concerning the injury or disease is one that clearly describes a particular type of "combat related" classification (example: rationale describes how bullet wound severed nerve in firefight = direct result of armed conflict), the PEB should indicate, after each unfitting condition in block 8b, whether the condition was "combat related" and, if so, what particular combat related condition caused it."
SEE ATTACHED V CODE GUIDANCE FOR THE PEB.

Attachments

• Designation-of-Disabiities-as-Combat-Related_PEB-Guide_16May2013.pdf
    84.8 KB · Views: 105
Ok then for mine:
My back all 3 V codes were a no, but for my dysthymia all 3 V codes were a yes. If I am understanding this part correctly, that means that whatever % I get rated for dysthymia I will be able to claim CRSC?

How long did it take you to get your unfit memo I'm 17 days now with no word back and my peblo seems a lot less interested in it than I do. Is there anyway I can tell if I was found fit or unfit? My ako page says I'm at informal peb

How long did it take you to get your unfit memo I'm 17 days now with no word back and my peblo seems a lot less interested in it than I do. Is there anyway I can tell if I was found fit or unfit? My ako page says I'm at informal peb

Check ebenefits to see if you have a second claim open

mine is taking forever, is that a bad thing if it takes a long time (18 days) does that mean ill be found fit for duty or there just backed up?

I don't have a second claim but I did just get my unfit memo today.... does anyone know what the v's mean I have v1 no v3 no v4 yes. my peblo said v4 yes meant combat related?

Ca
Can you tell me what you found out about the "V4" for PTSD? Mine was the same thing PTSD (V1-No, V3-No, V4-Yes). Does this mean I get severance pay below the 30%? on this condition?

If I am understanding it correctly your V4-yes means it was combat related

Bolded portion is not correct.

You cannot get CRSC if separated. You must be retired (both CRDP and CRSC are restoration of offset of retired pay....no retired = no offset.). The 10/D finding relates to separation pay.
Hi Jason. I was permenatly medicaly retired and I received a V4/Yes on my DA 199 does this mean it is combat related and I would qualify for CRSC?

My unfit memo from the Army stated V1-No V3-No V4-No, all meaning not related to combat, essentially any package received will be taxed. So my question is for those who have had a memo has everyone had the V4 code and does this mean I will be offered severance pay...I'm am almost at 16yrs....

I got a copy of my PEB memo saying unfit for five things. Next to each thing listed it said V1-NO, V3-Yes, and V4-Yes. For each condition it said that after and it changed up like for two it had same number but all yes, or two no and yes. Does anyone know what this mean? My Peblo said she didn't know it was probably a VA Code.
“v” codes on the Preliminary memo
1. The disability disposition is not based on disease or injury incurred in the line of duty in combat with an enemy of the United States and as a direct result of armed conflict or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurred in the line of duty during a period of war (5 USC 8332, 3502, and 6303). (This determination is made for all compensable cases but pertains to potential benefits for disability retirees employed under Federal Civil Service.)
2. Evidence of record reflects the Soldier was not a member or obligated to become a member of an armed force or Reserve thereof, or the NOAA or the USPHS on 24 September 1975.
3. The disability did not result from a combat-related injury under the provisions of 26 USC 104 or 1 O USC 10216.

“v” codes on the DA 199
a. Incurred or aggravated in the line of duty in a duty status aulhorized by 10 USC 1201(c) or 10 USC 1204.
b. Due to intentional misconduct, willful neglect, or unauthorized absence.
c. For pre-existing findings without aggravation: The condition was noted at time of entrance on AD; or clear and unmistakable evidence demonstrates that disability existed prior to entrance on AD and was not aggravated by active military service.
(Not applicable to RC adjudications under 10 USC 1204 - 10 USC 1206).
d. Permanent and stable.

I am a PEBLO as well as a Vet. I was medically discharged w/severance from the AF after 17yrs of dedicated service. I have also worked in transistions here at FT Carson. I can tell you that if you have a 10d that means that the severance mony is not taxed, not quite sure how it would affect a retirement though. Most soldiers that I dealt with while working in transistions also took what the VA was going to give them monthly, because it was usually higher and not taxed.
Are you still PEBLO at Fort Carson?