Anyone know the VA Codes on PEB Unfit Memo?

Jonsie

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I got a copy of my PEB memo saying unfit for five things. Next to each thing listed it said V1-NO, V3-Yes, and V4-Yes. For each condition it said that after and it changed up like for two it had same number but all yes, or two no and yes. Does anyone know what this mean? My Peblo said she didn't know it was probably a VA Code.

Are you referring to the preliminary 199 or the DA 3947?

Are you referring to the preliminary 199 or the DA 3947?

It wasn't either or. I'm in the Army and it was just a memo. Goes to PEB first to get a fit or unfit memo then to Va for rating then back to PEB for TRDL, Perm ret, so on

I remember another member asking about this a while back, and I think that some of the guesses were that the V might stand for "vote". I have a feeling, since the guidance states that there are 3 medical officers on the board, that maybe the number 1-3 indicate each particular board member and the V indicates if that particular member agreed that the condition is unfitting. Just a guess.

Is this what you are referring to? That is the document that accompanies your NARSUM whe it gets sent up to the PEB. That's the only thing I could find in my MEB packet that had columns for Yes's and No's. If not, maybe you could give us more info to help you better.

Attachments

• da 3947.pdf
    32.6 KB · Views: 376
Jonsie,
I received my PEB unfit for duty memo yesterday and have been trying to figure out the same thing. I will continue to research it, if I find an answer I will post it here. If you could do the same I would appreciate it. Thanks and good luck.

Jonsie and BLson. The information you are both talking about is the votes on if your case is combat related. I had the same questions and when I asked my PEBLO he told me that if you have one Yes on there that your whole case is combat related. Thats for the DOD side. I'm not sure how that will apply to the VA but your case in the eyes of DOD is combat related.

It took me two days to figure this one out from my own PEB so I hope I have it figured out. I think the key is the translation of the V-codes on the unfit memorandum that a service member receives from the PEB that is sent to the VA requesting a rating. Yes or No indicate whether the injury falls under that specific deignation.

V1 = 10a
V3 = 10c
V4 = 10d

Once you have this little gem then you can find out what 10a, c, and d mean. Looking below, you will find that they are references to whether or not an injury is combat related.
This is what was on my unfit memo from the PEB. From what I can tell the V4-Yes next to the PTSD diagnosis indicates a combat type relationship.

o PTSD (MEB Dx 1) (V1-No; V3-No; V4-Yes)
o Lumbar DDD (MEB Dx 2) (V1-No; V3-No; V4-No)
o Right knee osteoarthritis (MEB Dx 3) (V1-No; V3-No; V4-No)
o Left knee osteoarthritis (MEB Dx 4) (V1-No; V3-No; V4-No)
o Chronic left lateral epicondylitis (MEB Dx 5) (V1-No; V3-No; V4-No)
All my PEBLO could tell me was that it has to do with taxes. It looks like these codes may also be used in determining eligibility for CRSC or CRDP but I am not sure on that. You will need someone smarter that I to answer that one.

Here is the link for the Google search results. The second result from the top is is to a Word document that is named "25 Jun 97". Don't fear this though, the document you will get to is the 24 Oct 2011 version. When I opened the link it asked for a login for hrc.army.mil but I hit cancel and the document opened up. It is a lengthy read but hopefully you will get a better idea what the codes mean.

"The above is a guide to be used in determining the proper designation of disabilities as combat related (10a, 10c, or 10d)."

I am a PEBLO as well as a Vet. I was medically discharged w/severance from the AF after 17yrs of dedicated service. I have also worked in transistions here at FT Carson. I can tell you that if you have a 10d that means that the severance mony is not taxed, not quite sure how it would affect a retirement though. Most soldiers that I dealt with while working in transistions also took what the VA was going to give them monthly, because it was usually higher and not taxed.

Great point there Sascha, I was only looking at this from my own perspective (retirement). Maybe it only deals with severance money for service members under 20 years. I only made the assumption that it could have something to do with CSRC and CRDP because a lot of the other links on that Google search link back to CSRC and CRDP information websites.

I got a copy of my PEB memo saying unfit for five things. Next to each thing listed it said V1-NO, V3-Yes, and V4-Yes. For each condition it said that after and it changed up like for two it had same number but all yes, or two no and yes. Does anyone know what this mean? My Peblo said she didn't know it was probably a VA Code.

If you hadn't posted this, I would not have noticed the V codes on my own unfit memo. Mine states: MEBD Dx1. (V1-No; V3-No; V4-Yes)

If I'm reading that document correctly, having 10d (V3) noted on your file will only be beneficial if you're separated as opposed to being retired. I believe they referred to it as a severance enhancer. Is it safe to assume that having the 10d will not qualify you for CRSC?

10d = non-taxed money. Doesn't matter if separated or retired. A 199 with a 10d is a supporting document that you can submit to qualify for Combat Related Special Pay.

I don't think the V1 V3 V4 is combat related. I think that V4 is if the status will change (improve or degrade) for that disability. I think it is setting someone up for Temp retirement. I think the requirement for the above disability is for there to be a re-exam in 6 months.

V1 and V3 - My PEBLO stated that they mean pre-existing, and injury related to misconduct. Don't know which is which.

I don't know for sure, and I haven't seen any documentation/reg, but the PEB reg. lists some of the above as decision points before obtaining a rating.

When I get back to my work computer on Monday I will post an email from a Doc at the PEB explaining what the Vs are referenced to. This email is where I got the reference to 10a, 10c, and 10d. I just don't understand why the system has to be this confusing for service members in the first place. No wonder there is so much speculation and assumptions floating around. It's maddening.

Hold up folks!

Prior to 2008, all you would see would be a 10/A/C finding having to do with combat related. This is from AR 635-40:

(2) Entries on DA Form 199. The entries made on DA Form 199, blocks 10B and 10C, concern disability
compensation excludable from gross income.
(a) If the PEB can establish the fact (from available records) that the Soldier was or was not a member or obligated
to become a member of one of the designated organizations on 24 September 1975, the board will make the proper
entry in block 10B. If such a decision cannot be made, the PEB will enter a statement after the last entry in block 8 to
reflect that fact and leave block 10B blank.
(b) In block 10C, the board will record its determination of whether the injury was combat-related as defined by 26
USC 104.

This is from a recent version of the DA 199 form (the most recent is not as clear about this finding.... the "10" statement refers to the block on the DA 199):

"10. IF RETIRED BECAUSE OF DISABILITY, THE BOARD MAKES THE RECOMMENDED FINDING THAT:
Continued ...
A. THE SOLDIER'S RETIREMENT IS BASED ON DISABILITY FROM INJURY OR DISEASE RECEIVED IN THE LINE OF DUTY AS A DIRECT
RESULT OF ARMED CONFLICT OR CAUSED BY AN INSTRUMENTALITY OF WAR AND INCURRING IN LINE OF DUTY DURING A PERIOD OF WAR
AS DEFINED BY LAW.
B. EVIDENCE OF RECORD REFLECTS THE SOLDIER WAS NOT A MEMBER OR OBLIGATED TO BECOME A MEMBER OF AN ARMED FORCE OR
RESERVE THEREOF, OR THE NOAA OR THE USPHS ON 24 SEPTEMBER 1975.
C. THE DISABILITY DID RESULT FROM A COMBAT RELATED INJURY AS DEFINED IN 26 U.S.C. 104."

10/D is related to where the condition was incurred or aggravated and applies only to separation cases.

10d = non-taxed money. Doesn't matter if separated or retired. A 199 with a 10d is a supporting document that you can submit to qualify for Combat Related Special Pay.

Bolded portion is not correct.

You cannot get CRSC if separated. You must be retired (both CRDP and CRSC are restoration of offset of retired pay....no retired = no offset.). The 10/D finding relates to separation pay.

You cannot get CRSC if separated. You must be retired (both CRDP and CRSC are restoration of offset of retired pay....no retired = no offset.). The 10/D finding relates to separation pay.

Great info...thank you Jason.

Can you shed some light on the V1, V3, V4 on our unfit memos?

Jason,
You are correct. I should have broken up the sentences better. I combined the two thoughts together (tax free and CRDP/CRSP-retirement). Didn't mean to confuse the two. Thanks for clearing it up. That is what happens when I type while getting just 2-3 hours of sleep every night... lol

Great info...thank you Jason.

Can you shed some light on the V1, V3, V4 on our unfit memos?

Joelf,

I will probably find out in about a week or two when I receive my 199. About half of my injuries are directly related to airborne operations, but I received "no"s on all V1 V3 V4s on my "unfitting memo." If I get a combat-related on my 199, it will confirm that the "unfitting memo" to the VA is not talking about combat-related matters. I can't find anything on AKO or google defining them.

I wish that I could find a way to get combat-related for my asthma (burn-pit related), but I haven't found anything about that.

When I get back to my work computer on Monday I will post an email from a Doc at the PEB explaining what the Vs are referenced to. This email is where I got the reference to 10a, 10c, and 10d. I just don't understand why the system has to be this confusing for service members in the first place. No wonder there is so much speculation and assumptions floating around. It's maddening.

Here is the text that was sent in an attached email. Maybe it will help:

"I've received word from the PEB that Soldiers are not being told what the V-Codes Mean.
V1=10a
V3=10c
V4=10d
Please take the time to read over section V on the findings."

Not sure what section V is out of but to clear things up I have almost 24 years on active duty so severance pay would not apply in my situation. Not sure how much time Jonsie has but it looks like eagleone may have a definate answer soon.