Aortic Aneurysm Repair (collecting as much info in one place as possible)

fredcanfly

PEB Forum Regular Member
I have recently had open heart surgery to fix an ascending aortic aneurysm and they also found and repaired (not replaced) a valve (surgery was done in Germany, not sure which valve was repaired - talking with PCM soon).

My issue was found while deployed, so I was med evac'd (however you spell that) to get the surgery done. My aneurysm was just over 6 cm. I have already been through one MEB for asthma and was returned to duty no restrictions.

Just wondering, what kind of rating are people getting out of this? I have almost 8 years in and am very concerned as I imagine getting health care insurance is almost impossible with this kind of condition. Also, not sure what kind of employment I can expect because it's 6 months after surgery and still have pain (from the incision/bone break - they put wires in to hold the sternum together) bad enough to prevent work. Sometimes I have a popping that can cause me to sit down and do nothing else. I am concerned as this process is just starting for me, and of course, this is my livelihood. So, that being said, what ratings are people getting? Is there anyone here who has something similar and got their rating back? I have looked at the VASRD, but it doesn't talk about aneurysms that were repaired. Thank you very much, and I will keep you up to date as the situation changes.

BDDAHL

Registered Member
7110 Aortic aneurysm:

If five centimeters or larger in diameter, or; if symptomatic, or; for
indefinite period from date of hospital admission for surgical
correction (including any type of graft insertion)............................................. 100

Precluding exertion ............................................................................................ 60

Evaluate residuals of surgical correction according to organ systems affected.

Note: A rating of 100 percent shall be assigned as of the date of admission for surgical correction. Six months following discharge, the appropriate disability rating shall be determined by mandatory VA examination. Any change in evaluation based upon that or any subsequent examination shall be subject to the provisions of §3.105(e) of this chapter.

Straight from the VASRD. Notice that both the size of your aneurysm and the fact that you had it surgically repaired qualifies you for 100%. Also, you will be TMR (temporary medically retired) for the first five years, and then transferred to a PMR (permanent medically retired) status. With both of those statuses you will eligible for full medical coverage for yourself with everything that is involved with your aneurysm, veterans’ group life insurance, and if you have family you will be able to keep tricare for them for something like $450 a year.

I am close to the end of the MEB/PEB process for Thoracic Aneurysm (ascending) measuring 4.4mm. The PEB just found me unfit last week, and have referred my case to the VA for rating.

Hope this helps!

franco1970

Registered Member
Any updates on your conclusion.
I have a 4.4 cm aortic root aneurysm. Found by the VA. Also still in the air national guard. Gave my info to medical, they found it unfit for duty. Know there asking if I want a waiver or retire. Any advise?

franco1970

Registered Member
Any updates on your conclusion.
I have a 4.4 cm aortic root aneurysm. Found by the VA. Also still in the air national guard. Gave my info to medical, they found it unfit for duty. Know there asking if I want a waiver or retire. Any advise?
update 05/16/2018 I requested a waiver... More to come. Anyone else have updates?

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">