aortic aneurysm

dfrazier86

PEB Forum Regular Member
i have not been able to find anyone else on here dealing with anuerysms but im hoping someone can help me anyway. my husband has an aortic anuerysm (3.8 cm), too small to operate on but becasue he has it he is told they will likely give him a 100% disability rating. im afraid that they can always say it was not service related and give him nothing. he has only been in the service for 2 years and has been on profile for the last year. we were told that he is likely to get retirment despite only having served for so little time. we were told that the decisions had been coming back quickly, in 6 - 8 weeks, but it has been 8 weeks and still we havent heard anything. he called to see if he could get an update but they could not/would not tell him anything. all they said was that they had nothing for him yet.

along with his anuerysm they have given him an "almost positive" diagnosis of marfans syndrome.

he is supposed to put on SrAmn at the end of the month but his shirt thinks that he is no longer eligible because of the med board.

his profile limits everything he can do, basically he is restricted to desk work (he is security forces). he cannot PT or arm up. he cannot be a cop anymore, that much is clear, but if he gets seperated i dont know what will happen to us. he is not trained to be anything other than a cop and i have no work experience since im still going to college and wont be done for another 2 years. im worried and desperate for answers.

I am going through a meb/ipeb, right now, and I just sewn on staff. I asked my peblo and he said there is nothing with holding rank during an meb.

From the VASRD:

7110 Aortic aneurysm:

If five centimeters or larger in diameter, or; if symptomatic, or; for
indefinite period from date of hospital admission for surgical
correction (including any type of graft insertion) 100

Precluding exertion 60

Evaluate residuals of surgical correction according to organ systems affected.

Note: A rating of 100 percent shall be assigned as of the date of admission for surgical correction. Six months following discharge, the appropriate disability rating shall be determined by mandatory VA examination. Any change in evaluation based upon that or any subsequent examination shall be subject to the provisions of §3.105(e) of this chapter.
It clearly sounds like he is symptomatic, therefore, will most likely receive a 100% rating.

As far as service-connection, the burden of proof is on the government to show that the condition is not service-connected (the presumption is that any conditions are service-connected). In this case sounds like it will be found to be service-connected (though, much more information is needed for an informed conclusion in this regard).

I have an Aortic Aneurysm as well (4.4mm at the root), and I am currently going through the PEB with the Navy. The VA rep told me that conditions such as this are generally considered to be genetic in nature, and thus would not receive a service connection. He did say however that if the service member has been in for at least 8 years that it is going to be considered service aggravated. I am not sure if this is dependent on which branch you are in, but that is what I understand it to be for the Navy. I started the MEB in May, and it convened in September. At that point they referred me to the PEB, and told me that it would be 1-3 months before I hear anything back... Nothing yet. Not knowing is the worst! What’s going on in your process?

I have an Aortic Aneurysm as well (4.4mm at the root), and I am currently going through the PEB with the Navy. The VA rep told me that conditions such as this are generally considered to be genetic in nature, and thus would not receive a service connection. He did say however that if the service member has been in for at least 8 years that it is going to be considered service aggravated. I am not sure if this is dependent on which branch you are in, but that is what I understand it to be for the Navy. I started the MEB in May, and it convened in September. At that point they referred me to the PEB, and told me that it would be 1-3 months before I hear anything back... Nothing yet. Not knowing is the worst! What’s going on in your process?

Any updates on your situation, I am in the same situation and "exact" diagnoses?