Apply for SSDI now or wait until I have my ratings?

mr pig

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
It will still be a month or two until I get my VA ratings, so should I apply for ssdi now or wait until I have my ratings?

pittpan2005

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
It will still be a month or two until I get my VA ratings, so should I apply for ssdi now or wait until I have my ratings?
Honestly, the SSA will not make a decision for 3-6 months. If your VA claim is complete by then and helpful, you can supplement the record. Otherwise, you include it without your SSA reconsideration. Waiting may cost you back pay.

jahlon

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
The only thing I will offer is my past experience. My wife filed when she got out in 2011. She ended up getting lost in the shuffle until 2014, but by that time we had already PCS'd to Wright-Patterson. At that point, they had a low of grumbles about having to transfer the case. She started her appeal in Ohio, but then I got PCS'd to Scott.

In retrospect, I would have waited till we were in Ohio to help her file.

builtgypsy

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
The law varies from State to State (which Circuit Court of Appeals you fall under) in what degree a VA rating should count toward an SSDI rating, but even if you apply now, you can always send record updates to help your case.

I was continually sending updated medical records for two years while I went through SSDI.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I say apply now. I was tempted to wait, but a trusted adviser said don't wait. My claim was approved. but like all claimants I had to wait 5 months for benefits to start. Had I waited for my PEB results I would have lost nearly $8K in benefits.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">