Applying for SSDI, been out of military for 3 years

theory6

Registered Member
So I applied for ssdi twice already. Once when I was in the military going through the MEB, the second was about a year later. Both times I was denied, so I appealed, they denied again. The case manager both times told me that was it, I wasn’t going any further without better explanation as to why I can’t work. It’s documented well, I believe, in my records.
I have chronic migraines which I receive 50% for, and I have chronic vertigo which is a separate issue, which is 100%. Because I have multiple other issues, I was awarded SMC-S. It has been an enormous help receiving that. However, doesn’t cover all the bills. I’ve tried doing some handyman work over the past year or two, thinking I could work on my own time and express to clients I would need extra time to complete projects due to my disabilities. While they are gracious, it wasn’t a good situation to be in, always running behind on jobs because I had to take a day or two off because of my disabilities. It hasn’t worked out, I could never hold a normal job, even part time. I’m not sure what to do other than apply for ssdi because I just cannot work.

so I’m going to apply a third time, and appeal every possible way I can. I’m just looking for advice because I don’t understand how such debilitating issues could be denied so quickly.

thanks

I recommend going with a Lawyer, one that does nothing but disability. If he or she takes you on as a client the chance of approval is higher.

I recommend a local lawyer over a case manager did you ever appeal before an ALJ? if not that was a big mistake over half of the cases are approved there. Time is important here after five years your work credits expire. Expect a denial at the initial and reconsideration stage.