Applying for VA Disability

Marine4421

Registered Member
Hi everyone, first-time poster long time reader. I got out of the Marines in 2011. Like the dummy that I am, I was under the impression that my final physical would determine my VA disability rating. Obviously I was completely wrong. Anyway, I worked at the VA office at my college and recently met with a friend who is a VSOC at the office now (I'm no longer there). He believes that I should apply for disability. I had surgery on my throat while active (which left a gnarly scar), had my nose broken in the Enlisted vs Officers football game which causes some breathing discomfort from my nose and also my old boss thinks I should also file for tinnitus since I do have the symptoms. My question is, I don't know if these issues qualify me for any percentage. I filed online and provided documents, do you all think there is a possibility of given a rating? Sorry for the long question.

Semper Fi

Painful or disfiguring scars on the face can be compensated, as can tinnitus and possibly the deviated septum. My advice is to file and let the VA tell you. I have helped a number of people file that thought they would get nothing, who were surprised by the outcome. MY policy is always to be honest about the facts and the VA fall where it falls.

Veteran Service Officers (VSOs) will help you write and submit your benefits claims to the VA. Their services are free. They will help you gather the information that supports your claim. Once the claim is filed they will help you track the claim through the system. They can also help you file appeals for denied claims.

It is important that you use a Veteran Service Officer. They will help you avoid the delays that missing paperwork or improperly filled out claims can cause.

The Following Organizations have Veteran Service Officers Nationwide (the names are linked to the appropriate web site)

You do not have to be a member of these organization to use their services.

Every state provides Veteran Service Officers. They will help with VA claims, and they can help you identify benefits available from your state government. Those state benefits can be reduced property taxes, educational benefits, and more.

Many counites also have VSOs. My brother uses one in his area.

Reference: Veteran Service Officers - List of Where to Find <---LINK

Ron

I know you already filed some claims but I would still link up with a VSO.

I had my C&P exam yesterday. I logged into E-Benefits and my case was closed with 10% disability being given for the broken nose I suffered. They told me it would be months until I would hear anything. I still think I should be awarded something for the large scar across my neck. Should this be something I appeal? I reached out to have a VSO representative but never heard anything.

I had my C&P exam yesterday. I logged into E-Benefits and my case was closed with 10% disability being given for the broken nose I suffered. They told me it would be months until I would hear anything. I still think I should be awarded something for the large scar across my neck. Should this be something I appeal? I reached out to have a VSO representative but never heard

7800: Scars or disfigurement of the head, face, or neck​

There are three main categories VA takes into account when assigning a rating for scars under diagnostic code 7800: tissue loss; distortion or asymmetry of features; and characteristics of disfigurement.
  • Veterans who display tissue loss and “gross distortion or asymmetry of three or more features” such as the nose, chin, forehead, eyes (including eyelids) ears, cheeks, or lips; OR display six or more characteristics of disfigurement should receive a disability rating of 80%.
  • Veterans who experience tissue loss and gross distortion or asymmetry of two of the features listed above; OR have four or five characteristics of disfigurement should be rated at 50%.
  • Those who present with tissue loss and gross distortion or asymmetry of one of the aforementioned features; OR two or three characteristics of disfigurement may be assigned a disability rating of 30%.
  • Veterans who display one characteristic of disfigurement may receive a disability rating of 10%.

There is also VA size criteria for scars and can be rated based on pain.

I second use of a VSO, I used DAV for my claim and my father-in-law (Vietnam vet) with success.

Last edited:
Tinnitus itself is worth 10% but you have to prove its service connected

tony292,
Just curious; I believe I have tinnitus (intermittent ringing in my right ear) I also believe I got it from being at the “range” numerous times in my training from firing a variety of weapons systems (92fs,m4,252saw). However, I never went for treatment and have no paper-trail: do I still have a chance of getting my tinnitus service connected just from proving I was present on the “range” and firing weapons?