APPROACHING EAS MEDICAL RETIREMENT

JH75

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hoping to create a discussion as to steps that need to be completed prior to EASing. I was unfit on MEB and awarded TDRL. Since then my command has more or less forgotten about me and due to COVID i have felt alone during this transition about what I need to do. My questions that I need assistance with are what needs to be done IOT start receiving DOD retirement and VA disability payments after my EAS.

I have received my final DOD findings and VA ratings but not sure how to "start" those payments once i get out. I cannot imagine that it just starts automatically. That would make to much sense.
Lastly, how do I transfer my tricare from acitve duty to the post EAS retired tricare coverage for my family.

Any guidance or assistance is greatly appreciated yall! Thanks

DFAS is automatic, no action required other than keeping your bank & address updated.

VA: Upload your DD-214 to VA.gov or ebenefits as COVID-19 as hampered Federal Record processing. VA needs the DD-214 to verify service and ensure the correct effective dates, award your final ratings.

TRICARE: Get a retiree ID on base and make enrollment pay premiums I believe 3 months due approx $150.

Wait, so are you medically retiring or just retiring? How are you receiving DOD retirement and VA disability? are you over 20 years in?

Wait, so are you medically retiring or just retiring? How are you receiving DOD retirement and VA disability? are you over 20 years in?
Hello,

Everyone who retires medically from the service is entitled to retired pay and possibly VA compensation as well. In order to receive VA compensation, the retiree must agree to waive retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation. Those qualified for CRDP have the longevity portion of retired pay restored. Those without CRDP do not always waive all their retired pay.

EXAMPLE: retired pay = 2000; VA compensation = 1500
Waiver: 2000 minus 1500 = 500 residual retired pay kept by retiree

Those who have combat related disabilities might qualify for CRSC which replaces some or all of waived retired pay.
A Supplement to CRSC Information <—-LINK

Ron