Army Clinician with fears

MEB_er02

Registered Member
Hello everyone;
A bit of a strange posting here for me since I never thought I would come down this path. Long story short, I’m at 20 years, 16 enlisted 4.5 commissioned, spent some time in SOF and sustained several bad injuries on my knees, shoulders and lumbar spine. Currently undergoing treatment for TBI(also former combat engineer dealing with ieds) and PTSD, my ortho doc recommended microdiscectomy to alleviate my lumbar spine problems and also said I have moderate spinal stenosis. I have spent all my adult life in the army and I am concerned about medical separation the unknown of being a civilian and attending school for civilian applicable vs non applicable military training; anyone have any previous experience on possible outcomes for officers undergoing advanced training and being referred to MEB

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Medics tend to be found fit, based on needs of the service.

Provis

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello everyone;
A bit of a strange posting here for me since I never thought I would come down this path. Long story short, I’m at 20 years, 16 enlisted 4.5 commissioned, spent some time in SOF and sustained several bad injuries on my knees, shoulders and lumbar spine. Currently undergoing treatment for TBI(also former combat engineer dealing with ieds) and PTSD, my ortho doc recommended microdiscectomy to alleviate my lumbar spine problems and also said I have moderate spinal stenosis. I have spent all my adult life in the army and I am concerned about medical separation the unknown of being a civilian and attending school for civilian applicable vs non applicable military training; anyone have any previous experience on possible outcomes for officers undergoing advanced training and being referred to MEB
As long as you have 20 Active Duty years you are good regardless. There is no financial downside to medical separation/retirement since you will get your regular retirement if found unfit with less than 30% dod rating:) The only downside is you don't get to control when you get out if found unfit. If you wanted to do 25 years that wouldn't be possible if they found you unfit.