script async src="//">

Army Reserve Medical Board, unfit for duty process, DA 7574-1 usefulness, requesting assistance in understanding options


New Member
Registered Member
First, please advise if there is a better forum to post this in, I know there are a ton of different ones here.

I am 30% for PTSD, although that is currently being reevaluated for an increase and I expect to be 50%, or 70%. My symptoms include suicidal ideation (active, and passive) and daily panic attacks.
My reserve commander is requiring me to drive from my home in DC to my old unit in MI and not allowing me to RST. I have repeatedly requested to RST, but he stated no. I am attempting to transfer to a unit closer to DC too, but it is difficult if to accomplish this if my commander is not allowing any RSTs. Due to my persistent requests to RST and in explaining my position he has advised me that I can either continue traveling to MI, or choose not to show up and be discharged with a non-honorable discharge. The commander requested that if my condition was so bad that my psychiatrist contact him. My VA psychiatrist did send him a memo, but it was ignored. He is ordering me to continue commuting. The last several months have been really difficult on me mentally and with my job and family life. I’m looking into the quickest way out of the Army and think a board is appropriate. I am currently out in May 2020 regardless.

What are the best courses of action? I am thinking of having my VA Psychiatrist fill out the DA 7574-1 to request that I not attend drill because this is a major stressor. Does that form allow me to not drill as it seems like it does? If so, I’m confident my medical team at the VA would fill it out.

If I don’t go through a formal board am I leaving money on the table?