Army Reserve Medical Retirement?

Chip Diller

Registered Member
Long time lurker, first time poster. I searched through the forums and found some great information but nothing that exactly lined up with what I am looking for.

Here are my stats:
  • Current drilling TPU Army Reserve Major (O4)
  • Received 20 year letter in 2015 currently have points for 22 "good" years
  • Four active duty OEF mobilizations
  • Currently receiving 80% VA Disability for combination of combat and non-combat related issues
  • 46 Years old
I just attended the reserve retirement brief and after all the briefings, no one was able to answer my question, so here it is:

I am an Army Reserve Major (O4) currently assigned to a TPU unit (monthly drills and three weeks of annual training). I have four operational/combat deployments and receiving 80% VA disability. I am considering whether to stay in the reserves but I am at the point where my injuries make it challenging to continue and the concern that any future combat mobilizations would aggravate my injuries.

My ideal outcome would be to separate from the Army Reserve, enter the Permanent Disability Retirement List, and receive Army Reserve (not VA) retirement/disability now versus age 60.

Is it possible? What exactly is it called? How do I get it started?

Thank you in advance.

Under the circumstances you described:

--If disabled @ 30% or more, you could receive a Chapter 61 disability retirement and receive VA compensation upon approval by VA.
--You would waive retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA comp received
--You would not be eligible for CRDP until age 60 when you are eligible for reserve retirement

CRDP: https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crdp.html

Ron

@RonG - Thank you for the fast reply.

If I am understanding your correctly, there is no way to receive a separate "disability" payment from the Army/DoD AND the VA until my retirement eligibility date.

I had held out hope that there was some way to be evaluated by a medical board and physical evaluation board and receive a reserve medical retirement similar to active duty. So you are saying no?

If this is the case then I will most likely continue drilling as a reservist until my MRD (2022) to max out my retirement points. I deposit my entire reserve drill pay into my Roth TSP so any up-front modest Army Reserve disability payments (after 80% VA disability deducted) are outweighed by future TSP benefits.

Sir I'm sure you are aware of giving up part of your drill pay correct

Last edited:
Long time lurker, first time poster. I searched through the forums and found some great information but nothing that exactly lined up with what I am looking for.

Here are my stats:
  • Currently receiving 80% VA Disability for combination of combat and non-combat related issues
  • 46 Years old
I just attended the reserve retirement brief and after all the briefings, no one was able to answer my question, so here it is:

I am an Army Reserve Major (O4) currently assigned to a TPU unit (monthly drills and three weeks of annual training). I have four operational/combat deployments and receiving 80% VA disability. I am considering whether to stay in the reserves but I am at the point where my injuries make it challenging to continue and the concern that any future combat mobilizations would aggravate my injuries.

My ideal outcome would be to separate from the Army Reserve, enter the Permanent Disability Retirement List, and receive Army Reserve (not VA) retirement/disability now versus age 60.

Thank you in advance.

I'll touch on your current questions regarding outcomes...

1.) Separate from the Army Reserve...You have a 20Y letter, you can drop your retirement at any time.
2.) Enter the PDRL...You must be referred to a MEB and found unfit per AR 40-501. 30% or greater is medical retirement, 20% or less is severance.
3.) Receive Army Reserve Retirement now...Not going to happen, under any circumstance. The best outcome given todays laws is that you may be eligible for a "reduced age retirement" per the NDAA of 2008 which will reduce the age from 60 by 90 days, for every 90 days served under 12301(d) orders after 25 Jan 2008.

Use the search function of the site, this question has been asked many times before and there is great feedback given.

Sir I'm sure you are aware of giving up part of your drill pay correct

Thanks for the reply. I am aware. My main motivation for drilling is accumulating additional retirement points and completing the additional service requirement for passing my Post-9/11 G.I. Bill benefits to my son.

If you pass the P9/11 down, keep 1 month for yourself in case you ever want to utilize voc rehab with the VA

gsfowler,
What are the benefits of having one month of GI bill for Voc Rehab ?

Thanks for the reply. I am aware. My main motivation for drilling is accumulating additional retirement points and completing the additional service requirement for passing my Post-9/11 G.I. Bill benefits to my son.
If you
Are you saying you recently transferred to your son which required the additional 4 year commitment? if you are medically retired you essentially satisfy that additional 9/11 commitment time.

gsfowler,
What are the benefits of having one month of GI bill for Voc Rehab ?
You can pull the post 9/11 housing allowance VS voc rehab stipend.

Thanks 5-0.
One more question. Will that stipend be paid out for the duration of Voc Rehab?

From what I have seen, yes, as long as you keep at least one month of post 9/11 on the side.

If I am understanding your correctly, there is no way to receive a separate "disability" payment from the Army/DoD AND the VA until my retirement eligibility date.
Two ways to receive concurrent receipt of DoD retirement pay and VA compensation. The first is CRDP (which would require being otherwise eligible for retirement aside from the disability retirement- in your case, reaching age 60; but actually, with your deployments, it is likely a lower age based on credit for a reduction in age for reserve retirement eligibility, plus having at least a 50% VA rating). The second is via Combat Related Special Compensation. You mentioned combat related issues in your first post, so this may be an option for you.
I had held out hope that there was some way to be evaluated by a medical board and physical evaluation board and receive a reserve medical retirement similar to active duty. So you are saying no?

A medical retirement is the same for active duty and reserve component Soldiers. They both "flow" from the authority in Title 10 United States Code Chapter 61. So, the answer is yes. Often times there are substantial differences in payouts between active duty and reserve folks- based on years of total active federal service- but not always, and I strongly suspect that you could do much better by being retired.

That said, you suggest that you have a choice in how your case proceeds. If the Army adheres to compliance with the regulations, then this should not be the case. If your duties are limited by your disabilities, you most certainly would fail retention standards and should be referred to the IDES for disability processing. I know the reality is that folks can "fly under the radar" or "get taken care of," but this is not how things should work. Given your 80% rating from the VA, I tend to think that you should go through an MEB and PEB. However, another area of concern about your "plan B" of staying in a drilling status is that suggests that you might be found fit, especially if your unit and command is not aware of your disabilities (and if you are not clear about their impact on your ability to perform your duties).

I hope all goes well for you. Best of luck!

I tried transferring my GI Bill to my kids they said nope because I was being medically retired

Here are my stats:
  • 46 Years old

Thank you in advance.

From phone:
You need 20 good years for reserve retirement.

Yes, you could receive a medical retirement before then.

I am on the road. Will check back 3 hrs from now.
Ron

Here are my stats:
  • 46 Years old

Using the info you provided...

1. As you likely know, since you have 20 good years, you will be eligible for reserve retirement once you reach the age requirement. If you have a VA rating of 50% or more, you will receive the longevity portion of your retired pay as CRDP and also receive VA compensation.

2. If you received a medical retirement (Chapter 61) you could receive disability retired pay now. However, it will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation received.
CRSC might replace some or all of the reduced/offset/waived retired pay. See ---> this LINK for a collection of CRSC info.

3. If you received the Chapter 61 retirement discussed at item 2, once you attain the age required for reserve retirement, you would be eligible for CRDP which would restore the longevity portion of retired pay. CRSC and CRDP cannot be paid at the same time.

Ron

One question you might answer for yourself is if I start collecting now at age 46 I would collect for the next roughly 14 years (but with your deployments most likely could reduce to a lower age) so that would be a number crunch. Also don't know what your situation is outside of the reserves but you would eligible for Tricare immediately upon Chapter 61 retirement. For me I cranked the numbers and it was as a Reservist more beneficial for me to do medical retirement since in my case I was able to start collecting right away. And for me 40% DOD was a better payout then retiring on points. The best advice I got was that your retirement is a life time stream of income so you have to figure the pay out both ways. Also I was paying a lot for insurance and $578 a year for Tricare saved me over $5000 in premiums I would have had to pay out for my family for insurance through my civilian employer.

One question you might answer for yourself is if I start collecting now at age 46 I would collect for the next roughly 14 years (but with your deployments most likely could reduce to a lower age) so that would be a number crunch. Also don't know what your situation is outside of the reserves but you would eligible for Tricare immediately upon Chapter 61 retirement. For me I cranked the numbers and it was as a Reservist more beneficial for me to do medical retirement since in my case I was able to start collecting right away. And for me 40% DOD was a better payout then retiring on points. The best advice I got was that your retirement is a life time stream of income so you have to figure the pay out both ways. Also I was paying a lot for insurance and $578 a year for Tricare saved me over $5000 in premiums I would have had to pay out for my family for insurance through my civilian employer.
Hello,

1. As you probably know, if he received a DoD CH 61 retirement now, but has yet to meet the age requirement for reserve retirement, the following would occur:

The multiplier for disability retired pay is either:
  • 2.5 percent for each year of service, or
  • disability percentage assigned by the service at the time you retire
Either way, the multiplier is limited to 75 percent by law. If you are on the Temporary Disability Retired List, the minimum multiplier is 50 percent while on the TDRL.

Retired Pay Base
x Service Percent Multiplier
= Gross Retired Pay

2. His disability retired pay will be reduced by the amount of his VA compensation. In many cases, this results in zero retired pay remaining.

3. He will not be eligible for CRDP (a restoration of waived retired pay) until he meets the age requirement for reserve retirement.

4. He might be eligible for CRSC which replaces some or all of waived required pay for combat related disabilities.
See this collection of CRDC info ---> LINK, CRSC

Ron