Army TERA memo from Sec of the Army excludes Ch 61

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Dated 24 SEP 2012:

MEMORANDUM FOR SEE DISTRIBUTION
SUBJECT: Army Directive 2012-25 (Temporary Early Retirement Authority)
  1. This directive authorizes implementation of an early retirement program consistent with the provisions of Public Law 112-81, National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012, Section 504, enacted 31 December 2011.
  2. Retirement with at least 20 years of service has been, and will continue to be, the basic entitlement for personnel who complete a career in the Army. This temporary early retirement authority (TERA) is a discretionary authority and not an entitlement.
  3. Soldiers denied continued service with an established involuntary separation date as a result of a Department of the Army centralized selection board process who meet the following eligibility criteria may request TERA in lieu of involuntary separation:
a. Noncommissioned officers denied continued service as a result of the Qualitative Service Program (overstrength or promotion stagnation) centralized selection board who are serving on active duty and have completed 15 but less than 20 years of active service as of the established involuntary separation date.
b. Officers and warrant officers placed at risk for continued service by virtue of nonselection for advancement by Promotion Selection Boards who are serving on active duty and have completed 15 but less than 20 years of active service as of the established involuntary separation date.
c. These basic eligibility requirements may not be waived.
  1. Soldiers pending evaluation for disability retirement under 10 U.S.C. Chapter 61 are not eligible for early retirement under this directive.
  2. Qualifying Soldiers who wish consideration for early retirement under TERA must apply in accordance with the procedures disseminated by U.S. Army Human Resources Command or the Army National Guard Bureau G-1, as appropriate.
  3. Soldiers approved for early retirement will not be eligible for involuntary separation pay, but remain eligible for transition assistance benefits until their retirement date.
7. This directive is effective immediately and is rescinded on 30 September 2018, if not withdrawn sooner.
DISTRIBUTION:
Principal Officials of Headquarters, Departme 1 of the Army Commander
  1. Army Forces Command
  2. Army Training and Doctrine Command
  3. Army Materiel Command
  4. Army Europe
  5. Army Central
  6. Army North
  7. Army South
  8. Army Pacific
  9. Army Africa
  10. Army Special Operations Command Military Surface Deployment and Distribution Command
  11. Army Space and Missile Defense Command/Army Forces Strategic Command
  12. Army Network Enterprise Technology Command/9th Signal Command (Army)
  13. Army Medical Command
  14. Army Intelligence and Security Command
  15. Army Criminal Investigation Command
  16. Army Corps of Engineers
  17. Army Military District of Washington
  18. Army Test and Evaluation Command
U.S. Army Installation Management Command Superintendent, United States Military Academy Director, U.S. Army Acquisition Support Center
CF: Commander, U.S. Army Cyber Command Commander, Eighth U.S. Army Commander, U.S. Army Reserve Command Director, Army National Guard Director of Business Transformation

Dated 24 SEP 2012:

MEMORANDUM FOR SEE DISTRIBUTION
  1. This directive authorizes implementation of an early retirement program consistent with the provisions of Public Law 112-81, National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012, Section 504, enacted 31 December 2011.
  2. Retirement with at least 20 years of service has been, and will continue to be, the basic entitlement for personnel who complete a career in the Army. This temporary early retirement authority (TERA) is a discretionary authority and not an entitlement.
  3. Soldiers denied continued service with an established involuntary separation date as a result of a Department of the Army centralized selection board process who meet the following eligibility criteria may request TERA in lieu of involuntary separation:
a. Noncommissioned officers denied continued service as a result of the Qualitative Service Program (overstrength or promotion stagnation) centralized selection board who are serving on active duty and have completed 15 but less than 20 years of active service as of the established involuntary separation date.

b. Officers and warrant officers placed at risk for continued service by virtue of nonselection for advancement by Promotion Selection Boards who are serving on active duty and have completed 15 but less than 20 years of active service as of the established involuntary separation date.
c. These basic eligibility requirements may not be waived.
  1. Soldiers pending evaluation for disability retirement under 10 U.S.C. Chapter 61 are not eligible for early retirement under this directive.
  2. Qualifying Soldiers who wish consideration for early retirement under TERA must apply in accordance with the procedures disseminated by U.S. Army Human Resources Command or the Army National Guard Bureau G-1, as appropriate.
  3. Soldiers approved for early retirement will not be eligible for involuntary separation pay, but remain eligible for transition assistance benefits until their retirement date.

7. This directive is effective immediately and is rescinded on 30 September 2018, if not withdrawn sooner.
DISTRIBUTION:
Principal Officials of Headquarters, Departme 1 of the Army Commander
  1. Army Forces Command
  2. Army Training and Doctrine Command
  3. Army Materiel Command
  4. Army Europe
  5. Army Central
  6. Army North
  7. Army South
  8. Army Pacific
  9. Army Africa
  10. Army Special Operations Command Military Surface Deployment and Distribution Command
  11. Army Space and Missile Defense Command/Army Forces Strategic Command
  12. Army Network Enterprise Technology Command/9th Signal Command (Army)
  13. Army Medical Command
  14. Army Intelligence and Security Command
  15. Army Criminal Investigation Command
  16. Army Corps of Engineers
  17. Army Military District of Washington
  18. Army Test and Evaluation Command
U.S. Army Installation Management Command Superintendent, United States Military Academy Director, U.S. Army Acquisition Support Center

CF: Commander, U.S. Army Cyber Command Commander, Eighth U.S. Army Commander, U.S. Army Reserve Command Director, Army National Guard Director of Business Transformation

JASON or MAPARKER:

Can either of you fellows explain why this group is excluded from early retirement?

Just wondering why......

V/r,
nwlivewire

Livewire,
I have some concerns myself, but I would imagine since someone requests TERA and consideration must be given, not everyone is going to qualify. Therefore if someone was not processed through the DES/IDES in hopes of TERA approval and their application was denied, they could be in a bad or dire position. I think the definition or state of "pending" is also important. Just my two cents.........

Bump... MaParker, Jason, curious what you have to say about this. I think that if both the USMC and Army are both excluding Those going through a MEB it is likely that DOD has directed them to do so.

Bump... MaParker, Jason, curious what you have to say about this. I think that if both the USMC and Army are both excluding Those going through a MEB it is likely that DOD has directed them to do so.

No, it is delegated Secretarial Authority. DoD don't directly have any input on this.

No, it is delegated Secretarial Authority. DoD don't directly have any input on this.

Dear Jason:
Why is there an exclusion on these particular SMs?
What is the rationale?
How is this exclusion a favorable thing?

V/r,
nwlivewire

I hate the way they are excluding those who are getting MEB'd, both the Army and USMC directives state they are for those passed over for promotion, why reward the slackers and stick it to the wounded warriors?

Dear Jason:
Why is there an exclusion on these particular SMs?
What is the rationale?
How is this exclusion a favorable thing?

V/r,
nwlivewire

There is no explanation. It is not a favorable thing in my view. I see no reason for that policy.

Here is a link to the actual directive from the Secretary of the Army:

http://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/pdf/ad2012_25.pdf

What this does is opens the door to allow our lowest performers to take a TERA retirement and collect CDRP while our wounded warriors get left out in the cold.

Here is a link to the actual directive from the Secretary of the Army:

http://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/pdf/ad2012_25.pdf

What this does is opens the door to allow our lowest performers to take a TERA retirement and collect CDRP while our wounded warriors get left out in the cold.

HOLY COW!

This really sucks!

This is such a bad deal.

Are our Congress and Senate members aware of this?

I hate to say this, but if our elected leaders are eligible for a FULL retirement after only 6 years in elected office, then they can still get full retirement.
That's what I've read anyway.

So if they get "hit" with a ballot and it takes them away from their "career", they only need to fulfill 6 years of elected service to gain full retirement.

But if we get hit with a bullet/injuries and it takes us away from our careers, we still need to fulfill 20 years of service to gain full retirement?

Other than the retirement differences, is there any difference between an elected leader who is literally shot in the head and lives but will have to career retire, and those who serve in the military and are literally injured, but will have to career retire, too?

I'm at a loss for words and cannot fathom these retirement schemes anymore.

TERA is just another retirement added to this inequitable mix....

V/r,
nwlivewire