Army Timeline CRSC

Hello all,
My CRSC case file got approved on 12 September 2019, and DFAS received the approval on the 19th of September. I call on the following day, and the representative explained I would take DAFS 30 days to go over my case. I called back on the 22nd of October and received the good news that I would receive $612/ month the first business day of the following month. I assume if the 1st of the month is on a weekend or holiday, I should expect the payment to come on the last business of the prior month. The representative also explained backpay would come within 120 days from the date of approval, meaning 120 calendar days not business days. I believe my case was reviewed and approved quite expeditiously since it only took about 2 months since I first mailed in my files to receive an approval notice. I have heard of others having to wait up to 18 months before hearing an answer from their branch of service. This is just due to the volume of cases they receive. I did not anticipate receiving $612/ month and thought it would be in the range of $300 to $400. However, do not make any assumptions as there are many factors that go into if you receive compensation at all and the amount you are entitled to. Anyhow, this is good news for my family.

I served 9 years in the Army Reserves, deployed twice, and retired E-5 after 12 years of service due to seizures, migraines, adjustment disorder, and a multitude of other health issues. I have a 100% service-connected rating with the VA but only got 70% from DFAS. 70% adjustment disorder, 30% migraines, and nothing else from my other conditions. Remember to review all the documentation you submit and include everything you deem necessary including civilian medical records, as that may make the difference between getting approved or not. MAKE SURE YOU DON NOT FORGET ANY REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION. CHECK, DOUBLE CHECK, AND RECHECK. I also included a personal statement, not required, explaining my daily activities, the medications I currently take, for what reasons, and further explain the severity and extent of my conditions and why I feel the condition cannot improve for the remainder of my life. I believe having everything in order, made the approval process quite simple and efficient. I hope this information is of help to anyone applying for CRSC.
Don’t hold your breath on that 120 day window they gave you. Mine got approved in April and I’m still waiting for my retro pay. They told me they technically have until January before it becomes an issue. Every time I call I get ten different answers. Good luck with your retro pay though! Hope it goes fast for you.

Re: "Don’t hold your breath on that 120 day window they gave you. Mine got approved in April and I’m still waiting for my retro pay. They told me they technically have until January before it becomes an issue. Every time I call I get ten different answers. Good luck with your retro pay though! Hope it goes fast for you"

I hope it goes fast(er) for both of you and everyone else waiting on CRSC payments from DFAS.

You could contact the Director, Retired Pay if you feel it is warranted.

Defense Finance and Accounting Service
U.S. Military Retired Pay
Attn: Director Roland Wadge
8899 E 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46249-1200

Fax
Please include your full name, daytime phone number, social security number and signature on all written correspondence.
Fax Retired Pay: 800-469-6559
------------
Note: Roland Wadge was the Director, Retired Pay per the last report I received from former peers in the Army Finance Corps.

Ron

Hello all,
My CRSC case file got approved on 12 September 2019, and DFAS received the approval on the 19th of September. I call on the following day, and the representative explained I would take DAFS 30 days to go over my case. I called back on the 22nd of October and received the good news that I would receive $612/ month the first business day of the following month. I assume if the 1st of the month is on a weekend or holiday, I should expect the payment to come on the last business of the prior month. The representative also explained backpay would come within 120 days from the date of approval, meaning 120 calendar days not business days. I believe my case was reviewed and approved quite expeditiously since it only took about 2 months since I first mailed in my files to receive an approval notice. I have heard of others having to wait up to 18 months before hearing an answer from their branch of service. This is just due to the volume of cases they receive. I did not anticipate receiving $612/ month and thought it would be in the range of $300 to $400. However, do not make any assumptions as there are many factors that go into if you receive compensation at all and the amount you are entitled to. Anyhow, this is good news for my family.

I served 9 years in the Army Reserves, deployed twice, and retired E-5 after 12 years of service due to seizures, migraines, adjustment disorder, and a multitude of other health issues. I have a 100% service-connected rating with the VA but only got 70% from DFAS. 70% adjustment disorder, 30% migraines, and nothing else from my other conditions. Remember to review all the documentation you submit and include everything you deem necessary including civilian medical records, as that may make the difference between getting approved or not. MAKE SURE YOU DON NOT FORGET ANY REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION. CHECK, DOUBLE CHECK, AND RECHECK. I also included a personal statement, not required, explaining my daily activities, the medications I currently take, for what reasons, and further explain the severity and extent of my conditions and why I feel the condition cannot improve for the remainder of my life. I believe having everything in order, made the approval process quite simple and efficient. I hope this information is of help to anyone applying for CRSC.

Agree 100%, do not assume anything until you have received payment(s). Called DFAS three separate occasions and received three different payment amounts. Lol. I have good ballpark range and I am not expecting any more than the minimum. Anything more I will count as a blessing. Hell, until about 2mths ago I had no idea about CRSC. Now I am approved for 70%. Hell yes!!!

Agree 100%, do not assume anything until you have received payment(s). Called DFAS three separate occasions and received three different payment amounts. Lol. I have good ballpark range and I am not expecting any more than the minimum. Anything more I will count as a blessing. Hell, until about 2mths ago I had no idea about CRSC. Now I am approved for 70%. Hell yes!!!
Facts:

For a Chapter 61 retiree with less than 20 years active duty, the retiree would receive the lesser of:
--The longevity portion of the retired pay which is: active duty years x 2.5% = multiplier; multiplier x high three ave base pay = longevity portion of retired pay
OR
--The amount associated with the CRSC percentage approved by one's service. That amount is found in the VA compensation tables. Example: 60% CRSC approved and retiree is married & has one child under 18, the retiree would find his/her rate (60%) in the VA compensation tables and look in the column veteran, spouse & child.

The CRSC amount determined above when combined with any residual retired pay cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.
Residual retired pay: any amount left over after the VA offset/waiver.

Of course you already know all of the above based on our 6 Oct 19 discussion (which I just noticed...)

Regards,
Ron

Ron

Today’s phone conversation with DFAS. Audit was finalized today. Now just need to wait for system to process a pay date, call next week. She did give me an amount which was about the same as I had figured.
Approved 9/11/19
First payment 11/01/19
Audit began 10/06/19

Effective date of disabilities 12/17

Hello! Glad to hear you received CRSC for your hearing loss and tinnitus. When it says that it was able to be verified based upon documentation, what documentation did you provide? My understanding is it is difficult to get CRSC for hearing loss and tinnitus. Thanks!
Good question. Unfortunately that retiree was Last seen Dec 25, 2019

Hopefully, someone else can answer your question.

Ron