Asthma, don't know what to expect

100DIVDrill

Registered Member
I was referred here by my friend.

I didn't know I might be eligible for any compensation and had postponed my military retirement because I would lose my Tricare Reserve Select. :(

As a Reservist I would not have Tricare retirement benefits until 60, and my civilian employer no longer offers health benefits. If i attempt to get my own policy, I would have a pre-exisiting condition.

I was diagnosed with asthma, while mobilized on Active duty, and have no prior diagnosis. I was in fact a PT max for 10 years of my career. I am now only marginally fit to perform my duty position and my health has adversely impacted my ability to perform my civilian occupations. I don't know what to do, because I didn' feel my situation was severe compared to the guys coming back from theater, but it is impacting my family now.

I was on medhold for a month at Fort Knox but was released after treatment for sinusitis and back pain. They could not schedule my sinus surgery for 6 months and my back improved some with treatment although the diagnosis of the military chiropractor differed from my civilian chiro.

I also have achilles tendonitis and cannot accomplish my military duties without taking pain meds or NSAIDS, which is not very unusual i guess. Can anybody give me suggestions what to do next or what to expect?

I have 20years in service and have not retired yet. I was initially givena P3 profile, but challenged i to a P2 or I would have been put out, as a Drill Sergeant you can't have an unfitting profile and remain in that slot.

100DIVDrill,

Welcome!

I was referred here by my friend.

I didn't know I might be eligible for any compensation and had postponed my military retirement because I would lose my Tricare Reserve Select. :(

As a Reservist I would not have Tricare retirement benefits until 60, and my civilian employer no longer offers health benefits. If i attempt to get my own policy, I would have a pre-exisiting condition.

I was diagnosed with asthma, while mobilized on Active duty, and have no prior diagnosis. I was in fact a PT max for 10 years of my career. I am now only marginally fit to perform my duty position and my health has adversely impacted my ability to perform my civilian occupations. I don't know what to do, because I didn' feel my situation was severe compared to the guys coming back from theater, but it is impacting my family now.

I was on medhold for a month at Fort Knox but was released after treatment for sinusitis and back pain. They could not schedule my sinus surgery for 6 months and my back improved some with treatment although the diagnosis of the military chiropractor differed from my civilian chiro.

It is hard to sort out what happened here. Did you deploy/mobilize and then go to medhold, or were you identified at the mobilization station as having a disqualifying condition? Did you have a LOD done? For your asthma, as well as your other conditions?

I also have achilles tendonitis and cannot accomplish my military duties without taking pain meds or NSAIDS, which is not very unusual i guess. Can anybody give me suggestions what to do next or what to expect?
The answer will depend on what the answers to the above questions are.

I have 20years in service and have not retired yet. I was initially givena P3 profile, but challenged i to a P2 or I would have been put out, as a Drill Sergeant you can't have an unfitting profile and remain in that slot.
This becomes more complicated. If you have a P3 for an LOD-Yes condition, and it is unfitting, and you rate at least 30%, then you will be retired immediately. Pay, medical benefits, etc., immediately.

Have you filed with the VA? If not, you should.

It is hard to sort out what happened here. Did you deploy/mobilize and then go to medhold, or were you identified at the mobilization station as having a disqualifying condition? Did you have a LOD done? For your asthma, as well as your other conditions?

AN LOD was not done but I was diagnosed while on Active duty. I served my full mobilization - 18 mos. and was sent to medhold for one month at the end of the mob (mo. # 19) for a different condition than asthma.

Let me clarify.

I came back in from a break in service after 9/11

I had no previous history of asthma, no inhaler, no steroids, nada

i completed Drill Sergeant school, and passed the PT test with over a 250

Later i got over a 270 on the APFT, without meds, and served multiple ATs every year as a Drill Sergenat doing PT every day and 15 km ruckmarches, and completed BNCOC, all before being mob'ed.

I was diagnosed in the second half of my mob, after being on mission for a year and did PT five days a week.

Now I can't even attempt the test without meds, although doped up I can pass it. The meds are working less over time. My condition interferes with my civilian livelihood as well.

My civilian employer no longer pays for health insurance, although I can sign up and pay myself, its over $600 a month WITHOUT prescription plan and my meds run several hundred. I have effectively postponed my retirement from the Reserves because I currently have TriCare Reserve Select which has deductibles. If i retire from the Reserves I lose my Medical coverage. :eek:

I was given a P3 profile while on Active Duty which was reduced at my request to a P2 because with a P3 I was done. Since I was STOP/LOSS extended while on active duty, I could not re-enlist to retire with a P3. (I was not indef. but had an ETS date at 18 1/2 yrs). :(

Even with a P-2, I technically can not serve as a Drill Sergeant in the Reserves. I volunteered to go to the Academy as an instructor where the physical demands were more moderate. I drive 352 miles one way every month and lose money every month going to drill.

Okay, well, even though it is a little unclear about your other conditions, I suspect you should have been MEB'd while on med hold.

Right now, it sounds like you should have a P3 for asthma. The issue that I see possibly biting you is that since you have had this break in service there is a danger that with a P3 now and referral to a MEB, they can say that your condition has worsened post military and therefore you should be referred to a non-duty related board (i.e., fit or unfit is the only finding from the PEB, with no benefits awarded). The good thing you have going for you is that you have your 20 yr letter. If you get a favorable LOD determination, then you should not have a problem with the non-duty related finding.

I understand the desire to serve and your getting the profile changed to P2. However, in the big picture, this complicated your case. If you were to be on orders for 30 days or more and then have a P3 profile, you will not have an issue with the non-duty related finding.

Have you considered changing units/MOS to something less demanding? Doing so would help with your present difficulties in performing duties, however, it would probably hurt any PEB case (as you are judged against ability to perform in your MOS). I am unclear as to your goals, so I mention this as a possibility.

Have you gone to the VA?

Have you considered changing units/MOS to something less demanding? Doing so would help with your present difficulties in performing duties, however, it would probably hurt any PEB case (as you are judged against ability to perform in your MOS). I am unclear as to your goals, so I mention this as a possibility.
Thank you for your kind words.

I have in fact changed units and duties somewhat. It doesn't really relieve my condition much though, I still have to do PT and would still have to leave the unit on a P3 profile.

Currently I drive from Mmphis to Fort Knox (Louisville KY near Cincinnati) to be able to continue to serve. It is a temporary tour though (Year 1 of 2 yrs.), and if returned to my unit I would have to be a Drill Sergeant or get out. The only other local units are deployable.