Awaiting AFRC LOD for Medcon!!

I heard from my unit today. No backdating of my orders. Is there any more steps to take before I file a complaint
with the AFBCMR?

Thanks.

It's not up to your unit because they're not in charge of the money. Any authorization to back date your orders comes from AFMOA, not anyone in your unit. It's not likely it will happen, but they won't be the ones who decide. They can, however, interfere so make sure you keep every e-mail and correspondence you can get your hands on.

There's actually no problem with my unit. They have been 100% supportive the whole time. They are the ones who sent me word from AFMOA.

I think that I am about to enter the same abyss. I am an AFRC CSAR Loadmaster with 26 years of total service (17.1 TAFMS) who has multiple LOD's and is a code 37 on my profile. I am also a Vietnam Vet with a break in service. I have been on my current Title 10 Order with a COCOM for 30 Months with multiple tours of AD and combat deployments since 9/11. The AD FLight Surgeon has been very proactive trying to mavigate the guantlet along with my reserve medical Sq back home and both are becoming frustrated at the system. My Ad orders are up 29SEP and I am pushing to to be switched from my current order to the AFMOA MEDCON now. All the medical folks concerned are stating that due to my service connected injuries and illness that the LOD's and Med Boards could take at least another year. I have researched at length all fo the current legislation, DODI's and AFI's that pertain to my case and am hard pressed to see AFMOA's roadblocks. 17 years ago, I was successful with an appeal to the AFBCMR as a whistle blower but agree it took time and a lot out of me emotionally but it is possible to beath em at their own game with their own rules

I think that I am about to enter the same abyss. I am an AFRC CSAR Loadmaster with 26 years of total service (17.1 TAFMS) who has multiple LOD's and is a code 37 on my profile. I am also a Vietnam Vet with a break in service. I have been on my current Title 10 Order with a COCOM for 30 Months with multiple tours of AD and combat deployments since 9/11. The AD FLight Surgeon has been very proactive trying to mavigate the guantlet along with my reserve medical Sq back home and both are becoming frustrated at the system. My Ad orders are up 29SEP and I am pushing to to be switched from my current order to the AFMOA MEDCON now. All the medical folks concerned are stating that due to my service connected injuries and illness that the LOD's and Med Boards could take at least another year. I have researched at length all fo the current legislation, DODI's and AFI's that pertain to my case and am hard pressed to see AFMOA's roadblocks. 17 years ago, I was successful with an appeal to the AFBCMR as a whistle blower but agree it took time and a lot out of me emotionally but it is possible to beath em at their own game with their own rules

I've spent a great deal of time on the phone with the ringleader of the program at A1.......the "37" will be your savior! They seem to think (and have stated in writing), that unless you need an MEB (ie, you temporary condition may not be temporary), that THEY have the discretion over who gets orders and who doesn't....and believe it or not.....and this ISN'T a joke...they do NOT think they are governed by the AFIs since they are A1.......only the DoDDs. They apparently have a lawyer at the General Councils office that is telling them that.

My LOD is STILL not complete......over 4 1/2 months after it was submitted. The latest "claim" is that since I don't have a completed LOD (I have an Interim LOD...and have been or orders with no significant breaks since Jan 2003......ie OVER 8 YEARS....and have 19 years, 3 months of AD time......so they LOD can't even LEGALLY claim EPTS....) and since they illegally ended my orders (while I was on CRUTCHES and NARCOTICS), I can NOT be brought BACK on orders....even if my code changes to a "37" from the current "31"....until the LOD is complete.

I think they are playing a "bleeding" game and keep telling me I should request a waiver.....

Just read your reply. I contacted the AFMOA SME last week who handles all resrvists east of the Miss. He spent nearly three hours on the phone with me and gave me details I never would have known including the fact that I had to tell my SQ/CC in writing that I needed the MEDCON orders and to cc the letter to the world including AFMOA. This guy was nothing short of outstanding in his support and recommendations. There is also an extensive checklist that I downloaded that I am going over with my Medical unit responsible for the entering my LOD's into the ALOD system this week. He did say that the A1 is the problem not AFMOA and the bean counters and personnel folks who know nothing of meidcal issues and have never tasted sand and dirt are running the show. I will keep all informed and thanks for your comments

Quick update. My profile has been extended until March 2012. That's 14 months on a profile. Should I be worried about a MEB?
I'm still waiting on the people at the wing to cancel some AT orders so I can receive backdated medcon orders. I haven't received a paycheck in 6 months now and am madder than hell. Also, does anyone know if I should start the VA paperwork at this point and if so, where do I start? Thanks for your help!

Quick update. My profile has been extended until March 2012. That's 14 months on a profile. Should I be worried about a MEB?
I'm still waiting on the people at the wing to cancel some AT orders so I can receive backdated medcon orders. I haven't received a paycheck in 6 months now and am madder than hell. Also, does anyone know if I should start the VA paperwork at this point and if so, where do I start? Thanks for your help!

CT, are they now telling you that they will backdate your orders? If so, when did that change?

They told me that my orders would either be backdated or in a worse case scenario, incap pay. Now they're looking for MPA days to fill the backdated medcon orders. My unit has been very supportive in helping me out, which from what I hear is pretty uncommon. I might even start getting paid for the orders I'm on right now (5 weeks now). Crossing my fingers.

When looking at the INCAP pay "solution" compare how much money you would get from that vice from being on orders. Sounds like you are entitled to full pay and allowances.

Trust No One. My unit was the one behind all my orders problems. Learned this from friends who overheard and notes and emails from admin folks. Hope you have better Chain of Command than I did.

Make sure to complete the poll at the end of my signature line:)!!!

So I opened my LES this morning for my medcon orders. BAH II and no BAS. So I scroll do to the bottom of my orders and I see Active duty for training! Active duty for training? Are you kidding me. They make us wait months for orders. After we get our orders, they make us wait months to get paid. When we finally get paid, they pull bs like this. I'm tired of being screwed over.

Here is the "reason" given by the AF....which is completely at odds with the reason originally given and the facts/timeline.

SAF/LL
1160 Air Force Pentagon
Washington, DC 20330

The Honorable XXXXXX XXXXXXX
United States Senator

Dear Senator XXXXXX:

This is in reply to your inquiry on behalf of XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX regarding denial of his Medical Continuation (MedCon) orders.

On February 25, 2011 while serving on an extended Title 10 USC Military Personnel Appropriation (MPA) order ending on May 15, 2011, XXXXXXXXXX incurred an injury to his foot requiring a Line of Duty (LOD) determination. On February 28, 2011, his health care provider placed XXXXXXXXXX on a medical profile with an expiration date of August 26, 2011. This restriction temporarily disqualified him from duty with mobility limitations.(emphasis added)

The Medical Treatment Facility at XXXXXXXXX Air Force Base initiated a LOD determination on March 17, 2011, which was approved by the active duty commander on April 5, 2011. The supporting medical documentation was received by the Readiness Management Group Surgeon General Office (RMG/SG) and entered into the Automated Line of Duty (ALOD) database system for LOD processing on April 15, 2011. XXXXXXXXXX received surgery on April 27, 2011. This surgery had not received prior approval as required by Air Force Instruction 41-210, Patient Administration Functions. Per paragraph 10.1.2.4.1.; “For ARC [Reserve] personnel, the appropriate ARC/SGP (see paragraph 10.12), is the approval authority for Assignment Limitation Code (ALC-C), medical hold, and non-emergent elective surgery. Active Duty MTFs should contact the appropriate ARC/SGP when confronted with these issues involving ARC [Reserve] personnel.” Elective surgeries require reserve members to sign a memorandum of agreement confirming they are not entitled to continuation orders for convalescent leave or complications resulting from the surgery.

The RMG/SG received a MedCon orders request on May 12, 2011 and forwarded it to the Air Force Medical Operations Agency (AFMOA), the Air Force agency responsible for allocating MedCon orders, on May 16, 2011. AFMOA and the Air Force Manpower Command Man-day Allocation System (CMAS) allocators determined that XXXXXXXXXX condition did not meet the criteria for MedCon orders. Specifically, in accordance with Secretary of the Air Force memorandum dated December 8, 2006, Return to Active Duty of Air Reserve Component Members Unable to Perform Military Duties, XXXXXXXXX LOD had not been finalized. The RMG relayed to/SG relayed this information to XXXXXXXXX on May 23, 2011. (note: that's a bold faced lie.....Maj kindred and lt Col armbrister denied the claim based on the "severity" of the injury....LOD was NOT even mentioned...isn't it a crime to lie to congress?)

If XXXXXXXXXXX believes an error or injustice has occurred, he may apply to the Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records (AFBCMR). The AFBCMR is the highest level of administrative review in the Air Force. The AFBCMR thoroughly reviews all applications to determine the existence of an error or injustice and, when appropriate, makes recommendations to the Secretary of the Air Force to change the record. Submission of an application is not an automatic approval. The AFBCMR determines each case based on the information submitted with the burden of proof resting on the applicant.

To have military records reviewed for correction, XXXXXXXXXX must first submit an application to the Secretary of the Air Force Review Boards Office (SAF/MRBR) for processing to the Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records (AFBCMR). If XXXXXXXXX wants such a review, he should complete the attached Department of Defense Form 149 and send it to:

Secretary of the Air Force (SAF/MRBR)
550 C Street West, Suite 40
Randolph Air Force Base Texas 78150-4742

For XXXXXXXXX convenience, we have attached Air Force Pamphlet 36-2607, Applicants’ Guide to the AFBCMR. In addition, he can obtain more information at http://ask.afpc.randolph.af.mil/, under the search prompt, type the word AFBCMR.

XXXXXXXXXX has submitted a request for incapacitation pay in accordance with Department of Defense Instructions and Air Force Reserve Command Instruction 36-3004, Incapacitation Pay and Management of Reservist Continued on Active Duty Orders, for incurred lost civilian wages as a result of the LOD injury. His package is currently being processed through the Readiness Management Group and will then be forwarded to Air Force Reserve Command for final approval.

The Chief of Air Force Reserve directed the Air Force Reserve Medical Directorate and Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command Office of the Surgeon General to determine a course of action on case management for Reservists. These agencies are developing a comprehensive plan and revising policy that will streamline the process and provide possible solutions to improve the medical management of Reserve members going through the LOD and/or Disability Evaluation System processes.

We trust this information will be helpful.

Sincerely,

KELLY L. GOGGIN, Colonel, USAF
Chief, Congressional Inquiry Division
Office of Legislative Liaison

Attachments
1. Defense Department Form 149, Application for Correction of Military Records
2. Air Force Pamphlet 36-2607, Applicant’s Guide to the AFBCMR

Hi- Don't mean to Hijack the thread… but you guys seem to have a better understanding with all of this than me. I am a Guard Pilot with no civilian job.

Here's my situation..

I'm in the Air National Guard, I was injured on a deployment overseas in OCT. I was sent home, had surgery, and began the recovery process. I continued to get pay until my original set of orders expired in DEC (I was told to do it this way). When it was getting close to my orders ending, I called my medgroup telling them that I still needed treatment and they said I need to file for MEDCON. Fast forward to today, the paperwork is still being finalized and has not even been sent to AFMOA (was told it would be going this week). It was my unit's fault it took 2 months just to get the LOD and paperwork needed for the MEDCON request, but that is a whole other thread!

So as you can imagine, I still continued treatment, and my injury has had 2 more months of healing. On my last Doc visit, he said I can pretty much start the physical therapy process on my own. So now, I'm worried that once my MEDCON gets submitted, I will be denied because I no longer have medical appointments in the system… even though I'm still healing.

I've gone 2+ months without pay while I wait for this process and I'm told that AFMOA will not back date orders even if I get approved. I don't have a civilian job outside of the guard, I'm a "guard bum", and was told I can file for incapacitation pay. I've heard that process is a nightmare as well. Will they back date the incap pay to the end date of my orders? How does the incap pay work? especially for a guy that doesn't have a civilian job...

I thought that since I was on orders for over 30 days, that this would be a seamless process of extending my orders till I was healed… boy was I wrong. Now, I've racked up credit card debt, have a fear that I will never get the pay that is owed to me, plus I might never fully recover from my injury (elbow). Does anybody have any regs or info that can help me? thanks!

In June my orders were backdated by AFMOA 2 1/2 months but it seems there's further guidance that's not in our favor. The orders were never cut though because someone in my chain determined since I had a civilian job I was not debilitated, therefore was not entitled to MEDCON orders. Lt Whealton from AFRC/SG concurred and cancelled my CMAS.

I can sit at a desk and work, can't do much physical work or PT, but I'm getting paid so I really feel for you.

my orders are being turned off on 7 dec 15. the Amendment stated this

a. THE REASON FOR THIS AMENDMENT: This modification is to curtail members current MPA tour due to requirement
reducation and members pending transition to MEDCON MPA orders for ongoing medical issues.

I am wondering what steps I need to take so they can’t say well now you need to get this. I read about sending a letter to the comander

Also a TSgt got in trouble for telling people about the medcon orders. His boss told me this.

I am an AFR LtCol...my duty history:
-approx 7000 AD points (over 19 years)
-over 7500 total points (AD, AT and IDT)
-have been on orders for the bulk of the last 8 years....only came off orders to do annual tour and IDTs every year.

While on my last set of orders (220 days), injured right foot running, on base, at work. Hurt to walk, so got a referral for on base care...foot Dr recommended surgery...was on a mobility restricting profile prior to surgery....got surgery approx 2 weeks prior to end of orders....submitted LOD paperwork a month before surgery...RMG sat on the LOD paperwork until a week before orders ended, and then sent it back to me while I was on Conv leave....RMG JA "wanted EPTS statement".....Went to Dr, got statement....sent back to RMG.

My orders are now lapsed (ended on the 15th)....apparently RMG/Medcon submitted CMAS request for medcon, but nothing back yet....Local RMG det tells me that 80% of medcon requests are turned down...I consider my case a "no-brainer"....I was on orders for WELL in excess of 31 days.....I HAVE a DLC with block 31 checked on my 469...duration of 6 months.....if I heal, NO need for a board.

Am I missing something? I did have a conversation with a certain SMSgt who informed me I wasn't eligible if I could do "any military duties"...ie if I could get to work on crutches and sit at a computer...I'm not eligible, and shouldn't get medcon....and I could apply for incompat pay...I called him out on it on the spot. They have even really tried to hep me out by offering up a participation waiver while my medcon orders are pending....WHAT A BARGAIN!!!! I turned that one down flat....THANK YOU VAJUMPER!!

I have the complete support of my SES boss. Is there anything I need to be concerned about?

Must be the same useless idiot who played doctor and signed my LODs--even said my gout was from inactivity (wrong!) The participation waiver is only there for those who can't get a "good year" by any other means. I can't believe they still haven't learned! You would be denied for INCAP PAY since you can't show a loss of civilian income (military income doesn't count). Accept orders only and if denied contact the RMG Commander Directly with extracts from my complaint. I was assured in writing by the commander these problems were fixed--not!