Backdating to previous VA claim

matt.edward.jones

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I started a VA claim for my conditions last February. I held off on submitting the claim once I learned that I was going to go through the MEB for some of the same conditions. Once complete, the MEB will backdate to October. I've considered completing my original application in hopes that I could ultimately receive backpay from VA from last February instead of October. But I also don't want to throw a wrench in the DoD side since I am currently at the PEB phase.

I also considered waiting for the PEB to conclude, and then complete the original VA claim after I sign for my DoD ratings. However, I contacted VA and received an unofficial response that my claim would likely just be denied/closed since I had just been rated for those conditions.

Does anyone know exactly what would happen if I just went ahead right now and finished my original VA claim from February?

You need to clarify are you active duty?

Good point. I'm traditional Natl Guard now. Final deployment was completed ~9 years ago. First rating was 3 years ago while part-time NG, and the application I'm talking about was Feb 2018. Now I'm going through MEP/PEB also as a Natl Guard Soldier.