Backpay.. Confusing dates? Intent to file vs Exams.

MrPhotographer06

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Long time no see! I lurk around here still, but rarely log in to post.

I recently got my stuff together and worked with an agency to help me get my claims straight since IDES doesn't do you any favors. Per his guidance, I dropped in my ITF in August.. Aug 13th. A couple months went by and in December we got together to do exams with the provider on 8 DEC, and then 17 DEC submitted claims. This week, it closed and my letters/disabilities updated to 100% but my thoughts now are based on the backpay. I could just wait until next week when it gets paid, but I have a lot to consider with some other personal issues so I'd like to sort those this week beforehand.

My VA Letter says the date effective of change is 1 DEC, assuming that since thats the month the claims were dropped. Disability screen shows Effective Date of 2 AUG. Am I expecting backpay to DEC or AUG? Is the P&T date significant? My agency helps says expect it to start on 1 SEPT but i'm barely convinced. lol

Thanks!

From phone:

1 December 2018 was the last COLA raise.

You should receive the retro pay you expect.

Ron

So From August?

From the limited view i have using this tool...it appears the retro pay would be starting 1-30 September. I wlll look at this again once I have access to my laptop at a motel.

Ron

Ah. Okay! Just wasn't sure what you meant. Thanks!

Ah. Okay! Just wasn't sure what you meant. Thanks!
A new or increased VA award begins to accrue the first day of the month following the month having the eff date.

Ron

I was hoping so, but unsure with the verbiage about "effective date of the last change in your award being 1 dec."

I was hoping so, but unsure with the verbiage about "effective date of the last change in your award being 1 dec."
It is confusing, but correct.

The last change to your award was December 1, 2018 for the COLA increase.

Ron