Balboa Hospital (San Diego) Timeline

Veteran82

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
January 15th 2015: diagnosed with Coronary Artery disease and stent places in LAD after ejection fraction displayed loss of blood flow to my heart.
February 15th, 2015: referred to MEB by Cardiologist
February 27th, 2015: 17 claims found by VA rep for rating
March 2nd, 2015: first email from VA compensation with C&P exam times and dates
March 19th, 2015: last C&P exam completed
April 3rd, 2015: ebenefits changes to "pending decision approval"
April 16th, 2015: signed my NARSUM
April 17th, 2015: package sent to Rhode Island for decision of fit or unfit. (notes in package say no longer world wide deployable and condition keeps me from doing my job permanently)

same thing different day...I talked to the VA today after requesting a call back time for this morning and they said that my stuff was all in and was forwarded for ratings. So I called my PEBLO to see if my unfit was in and she said no maybe mid to end of May now...doesn't forwarded for ratings mean I was found unfit, and if so why doesn't the PEBLO have my unfit memo?

Found fit for full and now I have to fight this with an attorney because apparently the IPEB didn't realize that I am on on blood thinners for life and that they cant just take me off my medications due to the severity of my heart condition. Plus I am in a rate that requires me to go to sea and I am no longer world wide deployable permanently. So I have fight this with a Formal PEB.

Sorry to hear that! When did you find out about FIT for duty? Did your PEBLO call you or VA told you... How long did it take to get an answer from IPEB?

I found out from calling the PEB counselor here on base. I called DC and they said they forwarded my package back to the PEBLO and so then I called the chief counselor and she told me I was found fit and I went in and looked at my paperwork. Come to find out the reason I was denied is because the PEB doctors looked at an old PHA from before I got sick and found out I had CAD. They also used an old METs test from before I got really sick too. They didn't even regard my doctors wishes about not being deployable they just said member is fully fit. So the attorney said yes I can fight this.

January 15th 2015: diagnosed with Coronary Artery disease and stent places in LAD after ejection fraction displayed loss of blood flow to my heart.
April 17th, 2015: package sent to Rhode Island for decision of fit or unfit. (notes in package say no longer world wide deployable and condition keeps me from doing my job permanently)
May 19th, 2015: found unfit package forwarded to the VA for ratings

I found out from calling the PEB counselor here on base. I called DC and they said they forwarded my package back to the PEBLO and so then I called the chief counselor and she told me I was found fit and I went in and looked at my paperwork. Come to find out the reason I was denied is because the PEB doctors looked at an old PHA from before I got sick and found out I had CAD. They also used an old METs test from before I got really sick too. They didn't even regard my doctors wishes about not being deployable they just said member is fully fit. So the attorney said yes I can fight this.

So you said you called DC to find out what was going on?? Where did you find that number at? My package has been in DC for 14 business days now and last i heard from my PEBLO was that "The VA's systems have been up and down a lot in the past 2 weeks" so i would love to give them a ring and hear it straight from the horses mouth.

I honestly just Google Washington DC Peb and found their site and number.

May 19th, 2015: found unfit package forwarded to the VA for ratings
June 1st, 2015: Preparation for decision
June 9th, 2015: complete for IDES claim, and compensation claim is in review of evidence/ initial review complete.
June 12th, 2015: findings are in DOD 10% and VA 50%, Heart condition is only 10% unfitting and that is on VA and DOD side. I WAS GIVEN 40% worth of disability from VA for other conditions such as depression, tinnitus, epistaxis, shoulder, hypertension, and restless leg syndrome.

What does this mean, I didn't sign my findings yet. Do I have to surrender my entire 1072.00 a month from the VA when I get out because the Navy is going to try and give me separation pay for my heart? Or, does only a little amount get deducted from the monthly checks the VA should send me for the heart only?

"Generally, if a Veteran received disability severance pay, VA must withhold from his/her monthly compensation an amount equal to the monthly compensation payable for the disability(ies) for which the Veteran received disability severance pay. VA continues to withhold this amount until it has recouped the amount specified."

From what I understand they would withhold 10% rate = $133.17 until your severance pay is repaid.

1072 - 133.17 = $938.83 to you each month.

At this point I see no harm in appealing for a 30% rating via a FPEB.

Attachments

• VA Severance Recoupment.docx
    96.6 KB · Views: 5
I took my paperwork to the disability advisor and he stated that if I get an increase it will more than likely only be another 10 percent and then I would just owe more monthly on my severance so to just keep it the way it was with the minimal $133.17 coming out every month vs 20% of my VA check. I took my paperwork to my VA rep and she filed it for me. Then I took it to my limdu coordinator/ CPC liaison who is going to submit it to Personnel for me so I can get my message from NAVPERS.

How long does it usually take to get your message about the date you chose for getting out. I put 31 August 2015 because I have a job in Michigan working for DOD as a GS-09 that is waiting for me to hit terminal soon so I can get out there and start work. I am hoping to be able to start terminal next month as I have 22 days on the books plus another 10 for moving. 32 days total of terminal that I can use.