BCMR Advice

mtusaf

PEB Forum Regular Member
Jason, Your website was very helpful when I was going through the MEB process last fall. I was permanently retired in Jan 09 due to Primary Progressive MS. I moved to San Antonio and have a new neurologist at Wilford Hall. My new neurologist has completed new tests and found that I do not have Multiple Sclerosis at all.

I was wondering what I might lose if I decide to try to go back on active duty? I had 17yrs and 7 mos when I was retired. I was retired at 30%. PPMS was the only condition I was boarded for and I was never on any profiles or limitation codes due to MS.

Thanks in advance,
mtusaf

mtusaf,

I am always glad to hear that we were helpful!

Yours is an interesting question. The most apparent thing you would "lose" is your retirement benefits. The trade off is that you may be able to complete 20 years of service and then be eligible for both DoD retirement and VA compensation.

Without knowing more facts, I would think that the more important issue for an appeal is why you were found unfit. That is, if you were having neurological issues that impacted your job, I don't see the change in diagnosis impacting the decision that you are unfit. Another way of looking at it is the fitness decision is more important than the diagnosis in trying to appeal your disability retirement for a return to duty.

I do hope that this is, as it sounds, great news regarding your medical condition!

Jason,
On the AF Form 356, item 15, remarks area says: "...your medical condition, which is not likely to change over the next several years prevents you from reasonably performing the duties of your office, grade rank or rating. The Board notes you have increasing fatigue and have trouble remembering things to the point where you are writing everything down..."

The medications they had me on then cause fatigue and can affect memory. I found that out today during my appt with my new neurologist.
Since being off active duty, I do not take those same medications and have not had the fatigue or memory issues and I was hired back into the same field and same work as I did on active duty. I was/am a Personnel officer.

I fought to stay on active duty, and my commander fought for me as well. I feel like this was an injustice that needs to be fixed. My new neuro concurs and says that he would definitely support my desires either way. I just want to protect myself and my family.

mtusaf