being RFRAD when I should get MEB

NG1234

Registered Member
Hi all,

This is my first post. I am a MSG with 19yrs AFS with a total of 31 yrs of svc. I am in sanctuary with a follow-on assignment. I am not trying to stay on orrders just to be on orders. My problem is I am sick!
I am in a WTU for Migraines and cronic tension migraines I have been here for two and a half months. I am in the middle of treatment and was told that my orders were not being extended. I have been diagnosed with Migraines and tension migraines, I just had an MRI but still waiting for the results. I have also been diagnosed with severe sleep apnea but have not been given any appointments yet (case manager is working) to receive the CPAP machine. I have also had a constant pain around my right eye (pressure) for months that speratically turns into a headache almost everyday.
I feel that the Army is pushing me out to save money and should keep me in the WTU until my condition is stable, or send me before the MEB and retire early. I am no longer healthy enough to lead troops.
Is there someone that I can contact for assistance? I have tryed the OMBUDSMAN who looked into my case and read me the form letter from WTU command that simply stated my case was not complex enough to be in the WTU.

I'm unclear MSG, are they pushing you out of the WTU or the army? Currently it sounds like you may not meet the standard of complex medical care. Hard to pin down, but the expectation is an E8 is more able to work through the system than a PFC, so they have different entry standards into the WTU. If you are in sanctuary, you are not guaranteed anything past 20, but you should get to 20. Thats one of the risks of asking for sanctuary as you know. Plus, are you close to your MRD? If you are within one year of MRD, there is a pretty steep presumption of fitnss you have to overcome to get an MEB versus regular retirement.

I'm unclear MSG, are they pushing you out of the WTU or the army? Currently it sounds like you may not meet the standard of complex medical care. Hard to pin down, but the expectation is an E8 is more able to work through the system than a PFC, so they have different entry standards into the WTU. If you are in sanctuary, you are not guaranteed anything past 20, but you should get to 20. Thats one of the risks of asking for sanctuary as you know. Plus, are you close to your MRD? If you are within one year of MRD, there is a pretty steep presumption of fitnss you have to overcome to get an MEB versus regular retirement.

Sorry for confusion, I feel I am being pushed out of the WTU, I am still in the Army and will get a 20 year retirment. My problem isnt weather or not I get 20 years, I will. My problem is that I really am not well enough to lead troups. I live with a headache, it is hard for anyone to understand. My headache never goes away. I cant do anything without severe pain. I cant think, run, talk loud.

I am 9 yrs away from my MRD.

I believe your best bet will be with an ombudsman, or an outreach coordinator if that particular WTU has one. However, as I mentioned before, they likely feel as an E8 you can manage your own care. You will still be in the MEB process and your medical appointments will take priority. Depending on the WTU, you may be able to speak directly to Deputy Commander of Clinical Service of the MTF supporting and explain your situation.

I concur, a JAG friend of mine was forced out of WTU for TBI..He made a congressional. There is some Federal statute that says ANG must be fixed or RTD. Another Soldier was released and still had a torn muscle. He complained and was brought back on orders to fix it.