Benefits After Signing DD214

ctdarden

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
How soon after receiving DD 214 to we begin receiving our benefits (paychecks)? I'd rather not have a lapse in a paycheck.

So from my understanding is you want a seperation date towards the end of the month. because you can't get paid VA disability for any month that you served atleast one day active duty. So

if you get out January 1st on your orders. your first month of not active duty will be February and your first payment will be March 1st..

if you get out December 25th and your first month of not active duty will be January 1st and you will get paid February 1st.

So from my understanding is you want a seperation date towards the end of the month. because you can't get paid VA disability for any month that you served atleast one day active duty. So

if you get out January 1st on your orders. your first month of not active duty will be February and your first payment will be March 1st..

if you get out December 25th and your first month of not active duty will be January 1st and you will get paid February 1st.
Hello,

Excellent explanation.

VA compensation begins to accrue the first day of the month following the month having the VA effective date. Payment follows completion of the accrual for each month.

Your examples are perfect.

Ron

I have been told that service members are always separated on the last day of the month. Is this not accurate? Can anyone personally confirm or direct me to an official reference which would cover this?

I have been told that service members are always separated on the last day of the month. Is this not accurate? Can anyone personally confirm or direct me to an official reference which would cover this?
Regular retirements occur on the first day of a month, with the final day of active duty the preceding day.

Medical retirements can occur on any day of a month, with the final day of active duty the preceding day.

Separations can occur on any day of a month. My first time in the Army ended 28 August 1968–last day of AD.

Ron