Bilateral total knee replacements

LCDR Greg

Registered Member
I'm an pharmacy officer stationed with the Bureau of Prisons and have a couple questions. A little background, I'm 49 and in good health, and have always passed the APFT in the higher range. The last couple years my knees have started to hurt after a long day, or after exercising. I was injured responding to a fight at work, blew out my knee running down some stairs, and subsequently had left total knee replacement. The strain on my right knee aggravated it to the point where I'm having total replacement of it next week. I have flown under the radar as far as medical affairs is concerned, but after my next surgery, I will have used over 120 days in a 12 month period. That will initiate a referral for fitness evaluation. Until this last year, I have never had any health issues with the exception of a lap chole 6 years ago. Now, I will have 2 total knee replacements with prosthesis, nerve pain and restless leg syndrome from my first knee surgery, sciatica starting after my first knee surgery, depression/anxiety, and tinnitus/vertigo/hearing loss (possibly Meniere's disease?). 49 has not been good to me.

Does anyone have any advice before I start the process? I know that a knee replacement with prosthesis is grounds for discharge from the other services, but what about PHS? What about 2 knee replacements? Will they consider my knees as separate issues, both unfitting? The policy seems vague. I am attaching the current disability retirement policy. Thank you in advance for your help!!

Attachments

LCDR Greg

Registered Member
Surgery has been completed. Starting the MRB process now. Anyone have any suggestions? My biggest concern is that I've used civilian providers for all of my medical care and I want to make sure they write up their reports properly. Neither provider has any military experience.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">